Start by marking “Pieces: A Collection of New Voices” as Want to Read:
Pieces: A Collection of New Voices

Pieces: A Collection of New Voices

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  876 ratings  ·  37 reviews
MTV has discovered the authors of tomorrow. Read them today in Pieces.
This unique short-story collection is more than a good read -- it's an exciting glimpse into the future of fiction. The winners of MTV's "Write Stuff" competition share their voices and visions in tales that are endearingly raw, undeniably bold, and engagingly inventive.
In Next Time, a housewife enco
Published August 2000 by MTV Books/Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pieces

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyGoing Too Far by Jennifer EcholsThe Book of Luke by Jenny O'ConnellForget You by Jennifer EcholsSuch a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess
MTV Publishing
20th out of 46 books — 189 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingStargirl by Jerry SpinelliEsperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz RyanDefine "Normal" by Julie Anne PetersPage by Tamora Pierce
YA Novels of 2000
62nd out of 65 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

vanillune
Considering all the criticism this book got, it seems like one you either think is an infantile, novice attempt at fine literature, or as a titillating peek into fiction written by a new generation of people. I'm definitely on the other side of this fence. I thoroughly enjoyed Pieces and it seems only fitting that Stephen Chbosky took on such a project. It made me really sad not to know about it until now, i think i would have participated, send something in at least. Because what I really appre ...more
Susie
It was okay. I got really irrationally irate when I saw a sentence saying something like "You're dad is waiting outside."
You're! You're!
Brittany Flaming
Liked? This anthology is a disappointment. From the way it was marketed I thought it was a collection of short stories by Chbosky, but alas it is, roughly, 15 stories written by unknown, young 'promising' authors who have (unsurprisingly) written nothing since (I've checked). The first short story is the best. It has a unique voice, fresh writing style, and could actually become part of a bigger story at some point.

Problems? Aside from the first one, these short stories lack depth, freshness, o
AmberBug *shelfnotes.com*
Jul 17, 2012 AmberBug *shelfnotes.com* marked it as started-but-not-finished
I was thinking of putting this into by "to-read" list because Chbosky is the editor and the description had me interested. I decided to click on all the Authors listed and not a single one of them has actually written a novel since this publication. New voices of the next generation? Looks like they failed to choose some good ones.
Jessie
I chose to read this book originally because I knew Stephen Chbosky edited it, and I fell in love with his book The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Then the book claimed to represent short stories from the upcoming authors of this generation. I was super excited to see what literature would be turning to.

Like any anthology, I liked some stories more than others, but I didn't find any one just breathtaking. Most of them seemed a little like snapshots into lives, which I guess is where the title Pie
Emilio
All-round? Not too good. A couple of the stories were pretty much unreadable and put me to sleep. Another couple were pretty much pointless. And, as an earlier review stated, these shorts do seem more like a writing workshop exercise than publishable stories.
So, no, all-round, I wasn't too impressed. However, the writing style was always a surprise, and kept it fresh to a degree. I was somewhat inspired by the stylistic aptness of the young writers "showcased" in the book.
sisterimapoet
This collection has received a fair bit of criticism, but I felt I got exactly what I was expecting. These are pieces by relatively novice authors - there are bound to be flaws. But there are also highlights. There are striking descriptions, quirky characters and a range of storylines. Some stories are a little formulaic, and others don't really lead anywhere. But one or two shine out, in particular for me 'Polaroid' by Matthew Loren Cohen.

Ally Thomas
Maybe it was the countless references to MTV's hottest new writers or the oversexed, self medicated characters but the collection was not impressive. Its rude to generalize because I did like Next Time by Michelle Rick and Forbidden Fate which offered creative personal styles and topics in writing, but the other stories were brief and insignificant seeming like a 2 page creative writing assignment for undergraduates.
Hannah
It was okay. Some stories were really interesting and enjoyable to read while others were so boring I just wanted to skip ahead to the next one. Some were a little too "edgy", if you may, and I found them confusing to follow. One story that I found was the probably the best was Polaroid. It was well written and had a fresh point of view. I would recommend this book if you want a light read, something to pick up on occasion.
Debbie
Read this because I was a fan of Chbosky, but it being a collection of "new voices," I felt the writing was not up to par, and had it not been for Chbosky's name on the book, this book would not have been as successful. Comparable to a university's creative writing program's bi-annual publications of a collection of its "rising" authors.
Windy
Hmm. A few interesting stories, but others must have gone way over my head because I didn't really get them the first time through. Fortunately, the stories are short enough to read in those small windows of time that present themselves... like at the gas pump. Honestly, if I have to read the same old warning signs one more time...!
Liz
Although not nearly as good as The Perks of Being a Wallflower, this book is still just as interesting. It has a similar style as Perks even though it is written by several authors. This book is a compilation of several short stories written by several promising unknown authors, all chosen by Stephen Chbosky himself.
Alexa
In search of good teen short stories, I read this collection of "new voices." To clarify, their voices were new about eight years ago and I don't know what all of them are up to now. Some of the stories were virtually unreadable and some were interesting but overall, this collection is not very exciting.
Emma Emma
As a lover of short stories, I was quite pleased when I discovered 'Pieces'. 'Pieces' provided a great variety of interesting & unique short stories. While some stories were a bit slow, others were thought provoking & left me wanting more. Overall 'Pieces' was an enjoyable & easy read!
Rhi
I don't think I would actually recommend this book to anyone.
I found all the stories to be quite bleak and pointless. Perhaps 'gritty' is the word Chbosky would go for, but I don't know.
There wasn't a single stand out story in this to have made this book worthwhile.
Craig
I won't say that this is a bad book, per se, but many of the stories feel more like writer's workshop experiments than fullly finished stories.

That said, I think "Pinball" was an excellent story. Others were solid, but that's the only one that truly stood out for me.
Sarah Wong
An incredibly interesting collection of unique voices, reminded me of how much I loved short stories. One of the stories 'Polaroid' really stuck with me, and although there were some off stories in the entire book, it was worth reading just for that one story.
Keena
Some of the stories I thought deserved five stars but others only deserved one or two.
Nora
After reading Perks of Being a Wallflower, I wanted to read everything by Stephen Chbosky. This book was compilation of short stories gathered by Chbosky but not written by him. It is a good book but not like Wallflower.
Stephen
these are great stories. I feel many are disappointed after reading "Perks" to have only this as a continuing read. the stories are great on their own and show that chbosky has an eye for intriguing prose.
Kirsten
I like short stories but this book was kind of a disappointment. I wanted to recommend this to someone but found myself saying that only 1 or 2 of the stories were well written and were worth the time.
Sara Clark
i got this because of perks of being a wallflower and most of the stories are interesting if nothing else...but the one that stands out is "the white carousel horse" by dennis g. dillingham jr.
Marissa
Sep 04, 2008 Marissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone!
The stories included are all fantastic and range in style and subject matter. I was amazed by all of them. the authors had interesting, hip and refreshing takes on telling these stories.
Sara
This was a compilation of short pieces from a number of authors. I loved Chbosky's other book, Perks of a Wallflower, but I wasn't as interested in this one. Maybe another time.
Noorashikin
either you love it or hate it.
there are some stories that you might hate and there are some stories that you might love.
i found one or two that i enjoyed.
Chris
It was pretty good. I liked a few of the stories in it. Some were not that great, but others were really good. Good read for short story fans!
Katie
I'd say, read The Perks instead, and if you still really want to read this, do as I did and check it out from the library.
Kelly
There were a few weak stories, but overall the collection was strong, with interesting, lovely writing. I really enjoyed it.
Laura Fennell
Same authors as Perks, but this is a collection of short stories by various young authors. I was blown away.
kim McDonald
short stories by young unknown writers. an idea similar to mcsweeneys but not near as good.
The Nooks of Books: Pieces: A Collection of New Voices 1 2 Nov 19, 2014 09:59AM
  • Don't Sleep With Your Drummer
  • McSweeney's #22
  • Dogrun
  • Micro Fiction: An Anthology of Fifty Really Short Stories
  • White Stains - Anaïs Nin & Friends (Delectus Classics of Erotic Literature)
  • Love Invents Us
  • No Evil Star: Selected Essays, Interviews, and Prose
  • Revisions of Goodloe Byron
  • The End: A Dusty Futuretake (Dusty, #1.25)
  • Fireworks: Nine Profane Pieces
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
Stephen Chbosky grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and graduated from the University of Southern California's Filmic Writing Program. His first film, The Four Corners of Nowhere, premiered at the 1995 Sundance Film Festival and went on to win Best Narrative Feature honors at the Chicago Underground Film Festival.

He is the recipient of the Abraham Polonsky Screenwriting Award for his screenplay
More about Stephen Chbosky...
The Perks of Being a Wallflower