Start by marking “Mythes Celtiques” as Want to Read:
Mythes Celtiques

Mythes Celtiques (The Legendary Past)

From gods, heroes, and monsters to Druids, sorcerers, and talking animals, TheCeltic Myths explores every aspect of Irish and Welsh myths in this appealing and authoritative guide. Besides vividly retelling the tales, Miranda Aldhouse-Green brings her expertise in the archaeology of the Iron Age and particularly shamanism to bear on the mythical world she describes, with e ...more
Published 1998 by Seuil (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mythes Celtiques, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mythes Celtiques

ArwendeLuhtiene
2.5-3/5

In my opinion, this book works as a basic introduction to Celtic culture and Irish and Welsh myths, and I found it easy to read. The structure is a little bit chaotic at times, though, and there are a smallish handful of potential typos/dubious claims in it as well, especially in the introduction (such as equating 'the people of Gaul' with the whole of Celtic Europe).

Regarding one of my favourite themes -feminism and the treatment of female characters -, the author uses 'men and women' an
Ella
Nov 13, 2016 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a little bit disorganized - it reads more as a descriptive collection than a linear narrative of Celtic myth-making, but the stories (and the enthusiasm and fondness with which the author tells them) are so much fun that I don't really care.
Lisa
Miranda Aldhouse-Green provides a basic guide to Celtic mythology and folklore, focusing particularly on Irish and Welsh myths. The difficulties in such a study are made abundantly clear: evidence for this mythology is fragmentary, sourced either from the rare archaeological find and the Medieval manuscripts that transcribed the myths, diluting the pagan themes and elements due to the prevalence of Christianity and it's disapproval of other religions, particularly pagan ones.

The Celtic Myths is
Tawney
Dec 10, 2014 Tawney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book compliments of Thames & Hudson through the Goodreads First Reads program.

Since the Celtic peoples of Ireland and Wales left no written records the sources for their myths are fragmentary. There is physical evidence in grave goods and other archaeological findings. Caesar and other Romans made observations about the Gauls and some of these corroborate the myths. The written sources of the myths themselves come from Christian scholars and monks who recorded them hundreds o
Amber
Mar 19, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and interesting but the order of the book was confusing and hard to follow. Also presented the myths as being a lot more coherent and mashable than they are, and explored more the possible ways that the myth figures were influenced by culture than focusing on the figures themselves- to the point where I knew next to nothing about the figures or the myths but a ton about how they did or did not work with Christianity, which is a deeply flawed and biased way of tackling a rich set of myt ...more
Alejandra Armitage
May 25, 2016 Alejandra Armitage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Really interesting, but I sometimes wished some of the theories suggested had been backed up by more evidence. Sometimes I had the impression that assumptions were being made, and while I understand that the archaeological body of evidence is limited, I would have hoped at least for some reasoning behind certain claims.
Pedro
Jul 17, 2009 Pedro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celtic-studies
A good book specially for beginers. I guess Green's only fault is that she makes the book too "descriptive". That makes it a little bit boring if you already know the Early Irish and Welsh texts and sagas.
Ross
Jan 01, 2016 Ross rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very basic info, but not really that compelling. Thought we'd get more into the stories themselves. Instead, the book felt like it was trying to be too scholarly while not actually getting to that level.
Ilze
Jan 13, 2009 Ilze rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although it was all rather interesting, I was really hoping for some more information about the Celts' beliefs about (and in) trees. The archeological stuff wasn't really what I was looking for.
Patricia
Feb 22, 2013 Patricia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not hold my attention.
Mebhe
Aug 03, 2011 Mebhe rated it really liked it
se lit vite (150 p), net, clair et précis ! Rien a redire.

Avis aux amateurs !
Jantine
May 14, 2016 Jantine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lost of in-depth background information to situate the myths in their historical context, which I didn't expect but liked anyway.
Alli
Definitely not a scholarly text, but a good introduction to the Celtic belief systems. Appropriate for younger people (like I was when I bought the book about 15 years ago).
Heather Domin
I was more confused when I finished then when I started; that's not the book's fault, though.
Maya
Apr 19, 2009 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celtic-mythology
Please check out my review on my blog: Celtic Myths
Rebekah Degener
Jul 29, 2012 Rebekah Degener rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very easy-to-read history
Peter Mcloughlin
Have yet to find a book on Celtic Mythology that I can get into. There must be an author out there who can make it compelling. I have yet to find one.
Ruby
Apr 19, 2009 Ruby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. The writer took great pains to explain the myths and bring details that showed the commonalities between Celtic, Greek, and Roman mythology.
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2011
GaryandRuth
GaryandRuth rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2010
Pippi Bluestocking
Pippi Bluestocking rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2012
Dolizoss
Dolizoss rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Marc Thomas
Marc Thomas rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Roberto
Roberto rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Lauren Davis
Lauren Davis rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Patrick McFarland
Patrick McFarland rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
  • Dictionary of Celtic Mythology
  • Legends of the Celts
  • The Making of Home: The 500-Year Story of How Our Houses Became Our Homes
  • The Science of Fairy Tales: an Enquiry Into Fairy Mythology
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • Tales of the Elders of Ireland
  • The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas
  • Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
  • The Celts: Uncovering the Mythic and Historic Origins of Western Culture
  • Egypt of the Pharaohs: An Introduction
  • The Celts (Penguin History)
  • The Ancient Celts
Miranda Green was born in London and educated at Greycoat Hospital, Westminster. She took an Honours degree at University College, Cardiff and an M. Litt. at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford. She gained a research scholarship at the Open University and was awarded a doctorate in 1981 for her thesis on Romano-Celtic sun-symbolism. She has received research awards from the Society of Antiquities of London ...more
More about Miranda Aldhouse-Green...

The Legendary Past (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Roman Myths