Start by marking “Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure” as Want to Read:
Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure

Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Jerry Kaplan had a dream: he would redefine the known universe (and get very rich) by creating a new kind of computer. All he needed was sixty million dollars, a few hundred employees, a maniacal belief in his ability to win the Silicon Valley startup game. Kaplan, a well-known figure in the computer industry, founded GO Corporation in 1987, and for several years it was on ...more
Published December 31st 1995 by Houghton Mifflin (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Startup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Startup

Stephen Lake
A rare look inside the rise (and failure) of a high-profile, venture-backed technology company.

Here's an awesome summary stolen from a review at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/review/RA1JC7MQ...):

"I bought this because I read an interview with Mark Andreesen (co-inventor of the browser) in which he shared kind words for Kaplan's memoirs. Having seen the Netscape debacle from its inception to its consumption by AOL, I take Mark as a reliable source on startups and corporate deals.
Startup: A Silico
Joe White
A 25 year old account of a corporate startup that skirmished with the biggest, baddest corporate cultures of the late-80's - early 90's. Markedly applicable to the tablet explosion based on ARM chips of today.

Large scale financing through venture capitalists and corporate legal arrangements was elucidated.

Direct revelations of Bill Gates as a corporate monopolist. Windows lovers will shrug this off as "just business", but I think that the corporate monopolies have kept innovation in technology
Ivan
I like this book very much, giving us big picture of how hard it is to establish your own company. Start-up company is either a hell of joyride OR a joyride to hell. Appreciate all the effort he made from the beginning till the end to raise his "child" called GO. I learn one important thing if I want to make my own someday: find a great idea, communicate it to right people, then make sure the product can be sold!
Srikanth
Mar 25, 2008 Srikanth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business Students / hobby readers
Recommended to Srikanth by: Friend - Sundar
Shelves: business
when you startup an activity, result may not always success. I guess, Kaplan would have learnt lot of lessons to fight with competition and big market players.
Again book ends with a sad part, But, to emphasise on startup - it ends with another startup business. if you would like to understand business dynamics and why lot of merging happening... Good to start from this book.

Tom Conder
At this point the pen computer concept is a bit dated. However there are some themes covered in this book at never age: making a great product, making deals with investors and connecting with customers. Kaplan weaves a tale of his startup from concept to the its last soul-crushing days. I found this book informative and entertaining.
Charlie
My appreciation of this book skyrocketed when I got to meet Caplan in person. Obviously, he is the sort of big swinging dick that you have envisioned, but it was great to see it in the flesh.
Chris O'Brien
I was surprised at how relevant the book remains, which came out in 1995. If you want to see how tech competition works (or, in this case, doesn't work), this book is worth reading.
Joe
This book is a well written account of the startup process as it normally ends....in failure. If you were ever curious about the startup process, this is a great source.
Jim
"Detailed, but well written, story of the rise and fall of Go and pen computing. Especially interesting to read about old acquaintances from Apple days."
Zhifei Ge
Including almost every aspects an entrepreneur need to know about what to expect during the adventure.
Matt
Dated by now, but still fascinating.
aarjav
Reads like a novel!
Roald Gjermani
Roald Gjermani marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Joy Perks
Joy Perks marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Eniola Tosin
Eniola Tosin marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • Accidental Empires
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • The PayPal Wars: Battles with eBay, the Media, the Mafia, and the Rest of the Planet Earth
  • In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters
  • Burn Rate : How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • Death March
  • Testing Computer Software
New York Common Core Coach Grade 4 Math (Coach) Common Core Coach Mathematics 7 (New York Version)