Start by marking “Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure” as Want to Read:
Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure

Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  287 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Jerry Kaplan had a dream: he would redefine the known universe (and get very rich) by creating a new kind of computer. All he needed was sixty million dollars, a few hundred employees, a maniacal belief in his ability to win the Silicon Valley startup game. Kaplan, a well-known figure in the computer industry, founded GO Corporation in 1987, and for several years it was on ...more
Published December 31st 1995 by Houghton Mifflin (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Startup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Startup

Stephen Lake
Jun 27, 2012 Stephen Lake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A rare look inside the rise (and failure) of a high-profile, venture-backed technology company.

Here's an awesome summary stolen from a review at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/review/RA1JC7MQ...

"I bought this because I read an interview with Mark Andreesen (co-inventor of the browser) in which he shared kind words for Kaplan's memoirs. Having seen the Netscape debacle from its inception to its consumption by AOL, I take Mark as a reliable source on startups and corporate deals.
Startup: A Silicon
Joe White
A 25 year old account of a corporate startup that skirmished with the biggest, baddest corporate cultures of the late-80's - early 90's. Markedly applicable to the tablet explosion based on ARM chips of today.

Large scale financing through venture capitalists and corporate legal arrangements was elucidated.

Direct revelations of Bill Gates as a corporate monopolist. Windows lovers will shrug this off as "just business", but I think that the corporate monopolies have kept innovation in technology
Mila
Jul 30, 2015 Mila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't see words, I see real people moving here and there, too much flight scenes and pitches and there's one thing I can say: It's one hell of a ride.
I think this books speaks for itself, J. Kaplan has written it simply and meaningfully. Sometimes it's too techy but on the other hand, it's real life, with all its ups and downs and good deals, bad ones, enemies, friends and the future, dreams, visions, it's really one hell of a ride, the moment you close the book, it doesn't feel like it's the
Jack
Oct 22, 2015 Jack rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was alright. i enjoyed learning about business on the inside and that was about it,
Ivan
Feb 21, 2008 Ivan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-story
I like this book very much, giving us big picture of how hard it is to establish your own company. Start-up company is either a hell of joyride OR a joyride to hell. Appreciate all the effort he made from the beginning till the end to raise his "child" called GO. I learn one important thing if I want to make my own someday: find a great idea, communicate it to right people, then make sure the product can be sold!
Srikanth
Mar 25, 2008 Srikanth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business Students / hobby readers
Recommended to Srikanth by: Friend - Sundar
Shelves: business
when you startup an activity, result may not always success. I guess, Kaplan would have learnt lot of lessons to fight with competition and big market players.
Again book ends with a sad part, But, to emphasise on startup - it ends with another startup business. if you would like to understand business dynamics and why lot of merging happening... Good to start from this book.

Tom Conder
Sep 02, 2013 Tom Conder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At this point the pen computer concept is a bit dated. However there are some themes covered in this book at never age: making a great product, making deals with investors and connecting with customers. Kaplan weaves a tale of his startup from concept to the its last soul-crushing days. I found this book informative and entertaining.
Charlie
Oct 21, 2007 Charlie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My appreciation of this book skyrocketed when I got to meet Caplan in person. Obviously, he is the sort of big swinging dick that you have envisioned, but it was great to see it in the flesh.
Chris O'Brien
Jun 29, 2010 Chris O'Brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how relevant the book remains, which came out in 1995. If you want to see how tech competition works (or, in this case, doesn't work), this book is worth reading.
Joe
Feb 09, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: changed-me
This book is a well written account of the startup process as it normally ends....in failure. If you were ever curious about the startup process, this is a great source.
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
"Detailed, but well written, story of the rise and fall of Go and pen computing. Especially interesting to read about old acquaintances from Apple days."
Zhifei Ge
Dec 18, 2012 Zhifei Ge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Including almost every aspects an entrepreneur need to know about what to expect during the adventure.
Matt
Mar 15, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated by now, but still fascinating.
Stas Panteleev
May 13, 2014 Stas Panteleev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real thrill.
aarjav
Mar 31, 2008 aarjav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reads like a novel!
Nirav
Nirav rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
HENOK
HENOK marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Luis Roberto Reyes Romero
Luis Roberto Reyes Romero rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Hizkia.K Runkat
Hizkia.K Runkat marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Mohammad
Mohammad marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Jingjing Li
Jingjing Li marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Nirav
Nirav rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Devendra
Devendra rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
hellokittymeee
hellokittymeee rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
João Ferreira
João Ferreira marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Cambria
Cambria marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Emil
Emil marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Giel Wijgergangs
Giel Wijgergangs marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Daan
Daan marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
  • High Stakes, No Prisoners : A Winner's Tale of Greed and Glory in the Internet Wars
  • Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • Accidental Empires
  • Ben & Jerry's: The Inside Scoop: How Two Real Guys Built a Business with a Social Conscience and a Sense of Humor
  • eBoys: The First Inside Account of Venture Capitalists at Work
  • Growing a Business
  • Amazonia: Five Years at the Epicenter of the Dot.Com Juggernaut
  • 21 Dog Years: Doing Time @ Amazon.com
  • The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison*: Inside Oracle Corporation; *God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
  • Unleashing the Killer App: Digital Strategies for Market Dominance
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Stealing MySpace: The Battle to Control the Most Popular Website in America
  • Once Upon a Car
  • The PayPal Wars: Battles with eBay, the Media, the Mafia, and the Rest of the Planet Earth
  • The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kaplan is widely known as a serial entrepreneur, technical innovator, bestselling author, and futurist. He co-founded four Silicon Valley startups, two of which became publicly traded companies. His best-selling non-fiction novel "Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure" was selected by Business Week as one of the top ten business books of the year, was optioned to Sony Pictures, and is available in J ...more
More about Jerry Kaplan...