Cupid and Diana: A Novel

Cupid and Diana: A Novel

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Diana Campanella is the owner of a vintage clothing store in Washington, D.C., teetering on the brink of disaster. She and her blue-blood lawyer fiancé still have not set a date for their wedding. And it's becoming more difficult than ever for Diana to keep the peace in her big, unruly Catholic family.
But just when all hope seems lost, Diana meets a rumpled New...more
Published June 10th 1999 by Scribner (first published 1997)

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Blue by Emily GiffinPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best chicklit
446th out of 591 books — 866 voters
Sex in the Title by Zack LoveNo Fond Return of Love by Barbara PymA Glass of Blessings by Barbara PymThe Samurai's Garden by Gail TsukiyamaReconciliations by Elizabeth Klein
Novels Focused on Male/Female Relationships
14th out of 102 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
I love this book. It is one I squeeze in everytime I have a break from school, stay up reading late, and carry around just in case I get a moment. The characters are well developed, the plot twisting and engaging, and the romance steamy.
Lisa
It wasn't a bad book, just slow and it seemed a little too period piece to me, even though it seemed to try and be current. The heroine didn't grab me until halfway through the book. I also have a personal issue with using the word "penis" instead of being a bit more creative. Obviously that doesn't break the book but it's a personal thing.
Rada
At first I was a little shocked at how quickly the heroine, Diana was persuaded to be with someone else. What was wrong with Phillip? He was good. They had an easy love. But as the novel progressed I began to see why Diana chose and thought the way she did. I still think Phillip is a good guy; as dose Diana, but he is not the right guy for her. And that makes all the difference.

I also liked the authors viewpoint that people should just love each other. They should not make them work so hard for...more
Helen
Sep 24, 2007 Helen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
Cute book. Set in D.C. Diana is a 30 something Catholic raised girl who is close to her family but not always happy with them. She is trying to find mister right. She has been dating her lawyer boyfriend Phillip for a while but the relationshop is lacking something. She winds up meeting Harry who seems fun, everything her lawyer boyfriend Phillip isn't, but she is questions the new relationship. Diana is a business woman too and owns her own consignment store. She struggles with her business as...more
Ishie
Easy chick lit read.
Helen
Diana Campanella is coasting through life. She’s left the security of a steady job and purchased “Second Time Around”, a high-end second hand clothing store. She’s terminally engaged to a politically connected lawyer from an important Washington D.C. family. As the shop fails to gain new business and a wedding date remains undeclared, Diana grows bored. Harry blows into Diana’s life like a breath of fresh air.
Holly
Aug 06, 2012 Holly added it
This sophisticated romantic comedy was a jewel of a discovery for me. A grown up story of a woman succeeding in both love and business, it's a delightful little read. And it made Christina Bartolomeo one of those writers whose work I seek out. Whenever I see a new title of hers, it's a sheer pleasure. Cupid and Diana isn't cloying chick lit. It's sassy, witty prose wrapped up in a pink package.
Judy
a romance -- two men, one secure, comfortable and staid, and the other more fun -- as with most such novels, we "know" Diana will go for the latter. But this story has a few twists and turns. While romance is center stage, so is Diana's store -- consignment vintage clothing -- all I read about that aspect of the story was fascinating! I really liked this one -- cute, charming, fun!
Robyn
This is a novel about a vintage store owner in DC who is trying to decide between two romantic paths. I liked the main characters. And I loved the setting, as I used to live in that part of DC. I felt that the climax of the plot was a little flat. I think this is the author's first books, and I thought that it was one of those problems that a beginning writer might face.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I refuse to condemn myself for reading this book. It's just a gentle little love story. Not one thing more. No big insights into life, not even into family relationships or love relationships. Nada. Just a dip into another person's shoes for a few hours, a fun little weekend fling with a sweet romance novel.
Monica
I had such a hard time identifying with Diana. She didn't have much business sense yet she bought a vintage clothing store and wondered why it didn't succeed. I don't even think she grew as a character based on some of her decisions later on. Easy read but not a really good read.
April
I enjoyed reading this book more for the setting - a DC neighborhood I used to live in, more than the story. I probably would have liked it better if the romance was a little less wishy-washy. I liked how the main character stood up for herself, though.
Sandy
Diana Campanella just doesn't seem to fit in with her large Catholic family or her long-time boyfriend's world. Then her sister introduces her to Harry who helps her put her life in perspective. A light, chick lit read, but enjoyable.
Ally
Aug 28, 2007 Ally rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
Good book, easy read. Set in D.C., and I love reading about places I've been, so if you are the same and life D.C, then read it! It's about meeting people, figuring out what your dating style is and when you listen to your heart.
Joanna
I thought the ending of this book was cute. It seemed like it took the book a long time to get to the ending. I kept reading this book and then leaving it for something else until I made myself finish it.
Mcwaguespack Waguespack
Fun, witty summer reading. I really like Christina Bartolomeo and have read her other books, too. Some great passages about 1960s sitcoms, about not being able to earn someone else's delight, etc.
Jerry Byrum
A delightful story, well written, and with full-dimension characters. All the elements of the book have great balance for an entertaining read. Hope Christina keeps writing.
Bonnie
Liked it all right but thought how sad it was that the protagonist knew her father didn't love her as much as he loved her other siblings. That overshadowed the story for me.
Colleen
Total chick lit and not very good chick lit at that. It was an OK quick read but don't expect much from it, the storyline was pretty stupid as was the main character.
Carolyn
Quick little love story that you can read in a day that actually might lift your spirits. Or better yet...give as a gift for Valentines Day coming up.
Jules
Light, romantic comedy. Predictable, but enjoyable.
Lauren
If I'm going to read a romance, I like for it to heavily emphasize the clothes, esp. if they are vintage clothes
Pam Deppe
I like this book. It made me search inside myself to see if I had found what I wanted out of life.
Gerry Welsch
Easy reading - nothing special. Enjoyed references to various locales in and around DC.
Caroline
I dont remember this book at all but i know i read it several years ago.
Martha
This story couldn't keep my attention to get past the first 4 pages.
Charlene
Oct 14, 2008 Charlene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Charlene by: found at public library
Cute book. Easy read.
  • My Sister from the Black Lagoon: A Novel of My Life
  • The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel
  • Goodnight, Nebraska
  • Tristana
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Strapless
  • The Book of Fred
  • Philadelphia Fire
  • Life Skills
  • Family Happiness
  • Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete
Snowed In: A Novel The Side of the Angels: A Novel The Side of the Angels: A Novel The Side of the Angels: A Novel About the Good Guys, the Bad Guys and How a Woman Learns to Tell the Difference Enhanced Gravity: More Fiction By Washington Area Women