Start by marking “Cupid and Diana: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Cupid and Diana: A Novel

Cupid and Diana: A Novel

Diana Campanella is the owner of a vintage clothing store in Washington, D.C., teetering on the brink of disaster. She and her blue-blood lawyer fiancé still have not set a date for their wedding. And it's becoming more difficult than ever for Diana to keep the peace in her big, unruly Catholic family.
But just when all hope seems lost, Diana meets a rumpled New Yorker na
Published June 10th 1999 by Scribner (first published 1997)

Elena
Sep 28, 2015 Elena rated it did not like it
Ugh... This was disappointing and annoying from start to finish! Did it really warrant a movie adaptation?!? This book, read by 11 people, has a movie made after it?!? Wow...

Why I didn't like it:
It irked me how dysfunctional this family was - the competitiveness, cattiness, meanness, and just plain distance and coldness between the sisters. The only two that had some sort of a relationship were Diana and Cynthia...
Then the cruelty of the father towards Diana ! Wow! Can parents really be like th
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I refuse to condemn myself for reading this book. It's just a gentle little love story. Not one thing more. No big insights into life, not even into family relationships or love relationships. Nada. Just a dip into another person's shoes for a few hours, a fun little weekend fling with a sweet romance novel.
Elizabeth
May 20, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is one I squeeze in everytime I have a break from school, stay up reading late, and carry around just in case I get a moment. The characters are well developed, the plot twisting and engaging, and the romance steamy.
Monica
Nov 14, 2012 Monica rated it it was ok
I had such a hard time identifying with Diana. She didn't have much business sense yet she bought a vintage clothing store and wondered why it didn't succeed. I don't even think she grew as a character based on some of her decisions later on. Easy read but not a really good read.
Colleen
Jun 27, 2009 Colleen rated it it was ok
Total chick lit and not very good chick lit at that. It was an OK quick read but don't expect much from it, the storyline was pretty stupid as was the main character.
Janine
Mar 23, 2015 Janine rated it really liked it
This wonderful story really makes you feel you personally know the characters. It is well written and entertaining.

Diana, a vintage clothing store owner, is torn between two men. Philip is the safe choice and he wants to marry her. But Diana feels she really doesn’t fit in his world. Harry is the man she has lots of fun with, but he is married and only in town temporarily. Though his marriage has no passion, he still feels committed to his wife. Diana falls in love with him anyway.

I also enjoy
Sonia Gosetti
Aug 08, 2015 Sonia Gosetti rated it did not like it
UGH! I don't even know why I bother with chick-lit. Sometimes I can find a good book, but most of the time it is couple of hours of banging my head against a wall. The main character Diana was whinny as all hell. "Oh no one loves me/I'm the least loved sister/ I'm ugly blah blah" all while not one but TWO lawyers 'love' her. The characters were bland and didn't even develop one ounce through the whole book. The plot was cheesy and predictable. Then, on top of all that, it started off slow- the m ...more
Rada
Jul 20, 2010 Rada rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
At first I was a little shocked at how quickly the heroine, Diana was persuaded to be with someone else. What was wrong with Phillip? He was good. They had an easy love. But as the novel progressed I began to see why Diana chose and thought the way she did. I still think Phillip is a good guy; as dose Diana, but he is not the right guy for her. And that makes all the difference.

I also liked the authors viewpoint that people should just love each other. They should not make them work so hard for
Helen
Sep 24, 2007 Helen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yes
Cute book. Set in D.C. Diana is a 30 something Catholic raised girl who is close to her family but not always happy with them. She is trying to find mister right. She has been dating her lawyer boyfriend Phillip for a while but the relationshop is lacking something. She winds up meeting Harry who seems fun, everything her lawyer boyfriend Phillip isn't, but she is questions the new relationship. Diana is a business woman too and owns her own consignment store. She struggles with her business as ...more
Julie Ehlers
Aug 10, 2014 Julie Ehlers rated it liked it
This was cute and well-written and more profound than I was expecting. I loved that it was published in 1998 so there was no real mention of internet or cell phones--the main character opened a vintage clothing store and they advertised it with flyers and postcards! We didn't know how good we had it back then. In short, I was looking for something to calm my hamster wheel of a mind, and this did the job.
Holly
Jul 25, 2012 Holly added it
This sophisticated romantic comedy was a jewel of a discovery for me. A grown up story of a woman succeeding in both love and business, it's a delightful little read. And it made Christina Bartolomeo one of those writers whose work I seek out. Whenever I see a new title of hers, it's a sheer pleasure. Cupid and Diana isn't cloying chick lit. It's sassy, witty prose wrapped up in a pink package.
Helen
Jan 08, 2009 Helen rated it it was ok
Diana Campanella is coasting through life. She’s left the security of a steady job and purchased “Second Time Around”, a high-end second hand clothing store. She’s terminally engaged to a politically connected lawyer from an important Washington D.C. family. As the shop fails to gain new business and a wedding date remains undeclared, Diana grows bored. Harry blows into Diana’s life like a breath of fresh air.
Lisa
Apr 29, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
It wasn't a bad book, just slow and it seemed a little too period piece to me, even though it seemed to try and be current. The heroine didn't grab me until halfway through the book. I also have a personal issue with using the word "penis" instead of being a bit more creative. Obviously that doesn't break the book but it's a personal thing.
Judy
Aug 08, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
a romance -- two men, one secure, comfortable and staid, and the other more fun -- as with most such novels, we "know" Diana will go for the latter. But this story has a few twists and turns. While romance is center stage, so is Diana's store -- consignment vintage clothing -- all I read about that aspect of the story was fascinating! I really liked this one -- cute, charming, fun!
Robyn
Jul 12, 2010 Robyn rated it it was ok
This is a novel about a vintage store owner in DC who is trying to decide between two romantic paths. I liked the main characters. And I loved the setting, as I used to live in that part of DC. I felt that the climax of the plot was a little flat. I think this is the author's first books, and I thought that it was one of those problems that a beginning writer might face.
Ally
Jul 28, 2007 Ally rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women
Good book, easy read. Set in D.C., and I love reading about places I've been, so if you are the same and life D.C, then read it! It's about meeting people, figuring out what your dating style is and when you listen to your heart.
April
Mar 20, 2008 April rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book more for the setting - a DC neighborhood I used to live in, more than the story. I probably would have liked it better if the romance was a little less wishy-washy. I liked how the main character stood up for herself, though.
Joanna
Jul 06, 2007 Joanna rated it liked it
Shelves: alreadyread
I thought the ending of this book was cute. It seemed like it took the book a long time to get to the ending. I kept reading this book and then leaving it for something else until I made myself finish it.
Sandy
Dec 21, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
Diana Campanella just doesn't seem to fit in with her large Catholic family or her long-time boyfriend's world. Then her sister introduces her to Harry who helps her put her life in perspective. A light, chick lit read, but enjoyable.
Martha
Mar 31, 2012 Martha rated it did not like it
This story couldn't keep my attention to get past the first 4 pages.
Bonnie
Sep 10, 2007 Bonnie rated it liked it
Liked it all right but thought how sad it was that the protagonist knew her father didn't love her as much as he loved her other siblings. That overshadowed the story for me.
Jerry Byrum
Jun 03, 2013 Jerry Byrum rated it it was amazing
A delightful story, well written, and with full-dimension characters. All the elements of the book have great balance for an entertaining read. Hope Christina keeps writing.
Lauren
Mar 10, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it
If I'm going to read a romance, I like for it to heavily emphasize the clothes, esp. if they are vintage clothes
Caroline
I dont remember this book at all but i know i read it several years ago.
Mcwaguespack Waguespack
Jun 14, 2009 Mcwaguespack Waguespack rated it really liked it
Fun, witty summer reading. I really like Christina Bartolomeo and have read her other books, too. Some great passages about 1960s sitcoms, about not being able to earn someone else's delight, etc.
Xuxa
Oct 31, 2015 Xuxa rated it liked it
I liked the book well enough, I just felt that some point the characterization of Diana was a bit muddled through the end.
Carolyn
Jan 23, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it
Quick little love story that you can read in a day that actually might lift your spirits. Or better yet...give as a gift for Valentines Day coming up.
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2008
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2010
Tara Malone
Tara Malone rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2009
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • Spinsters
  • Exploiting My Baby: Because It's Exploiting Me
  • Nice to Come Home To
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Tristana
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • Goodnight, Nebraska
  • Strapless
  • Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete
  • This I Know: Notes on Unraveling the Heart
  • Long May She Reign (The President's Daughter, #4)
  • False Scent (Roderick Alleyn, #21)
  • Morningside Heights