Mutant Message From Forever

Mutant Message From Forever

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  674 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Mutant Message from Forever is the moving story of Australian aboriginal twin babies, Geoff and Beatrice, who are taken from their mother by Christian missionaries. Geoff is sent to a sheep ranch, where he grows wild, without guidance or affection. At the age of five his is taken to the US by an American minister where he is raised with no sense of who he is and where he c...more
Published 2000 by Thorsons (first published 1998)

Jessica
Marlo Morgan is a LIAR! This piece of drivel is not indicative of the way Australian Aboriginals live, nor is it an accurate representation of the traditional and cultural beliefs of the area. As an Australian Aboriginal I am deeply offended by the lies in this book and even more so by her inclusion of an 'approval' given by a member of the Wurundjeri tribe.

The thing that most people may not be aware of (as Morgan never bothered to mention it) is that there are literally hundreds of Aboriginal t...more
Joni
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Mutant Message Down Under so much that I was excited to read this one. I was not disappointed.
I am fascinated by the Aborigine people. I secretly think it would be great to go on a "walkabout" with some someday.
I was also frustrated with our history. We as a people, are so mean to others that we view as different.
Susan
A great book! It's very difficult to read about the treatment Aboriginals have suffered in their own land, but staying with the book will lead you to such wonderful spirituality. I have many markers on the book, particularly toward the last third where so much wisdom can be found. I highly recommend this as "soul food."
Debby Stephan
This book was so sad and so real. I need to re-read this one in a year or so, along with Mutant Message from Down Under. Both were books that I would describe as life-altering. I realize that these books are fiction and that Ms. Morgan has been confronted by the Aboriginals for what she has written, but the message is still amazing.

When I read about the fictional relationship of the Aborigines with the earth and nature, I know that this is how life should be. However, their ability to be non-jud...more
Margaret Carmel
I really enjoyed this book! I found the descriptions of the way the people interacted with the land. All my life i've been very nervous about Australia due to all of the poisonous creatures that live there, but this book makes me want to experience these things for myself. The descriptions of Beatrice coming of age as a member of the Real People tribe were beautiful and arresting. In addition to this, I learned a lot about the Aboriginal people and how mistreated they were by the colonizing whit...more
Ruth
This book tells the fictional story of two Aboriginal children born in the outback, taken from their parents at birth and follows their childhood and adulthood in Australia and the USA.
The only drawback to the novel is that the way the opening is structured it seems like we will spend equal time following both the girl twin, Beatrice, and the boy twin, Geoff, as they try to make their way home. Unfortunately, Geoff's story gets left behind and we lose him for most of the middle of the novel, pi...more
Michele

Strive to Achieve Wisdom
Learn Self-Discipline
Observe Without Judging
Linda
Again, as with MUTANT MESSAGE FROM DOWN UNDER, I was swept away with the tenets of this book. I believed. Morgan has aboriginal gudies again in this book and she brings us supposed ancient wisdom. AGain, I wanted to believe! And, what harm could reading this book do? From the back cover of this book, the ten messages of aborignial wisdom that are laid out in this book: 1. Express Your Individual Creativity; 2. Realize That You Are Accountable; 3. Before Birth You Agreed to Help Other; 4. Mature...more
Michael Armijo
Here is a story about Australian Aborigines and their Wisdom for 'Living Life'.

This is a GREAT book! I learned so much about a group of people that were looked down upon & shunned from society. It's a great STORY with great ideas and reminders of how important music & laughter is to our lives. It's a story of a brother and a sister and how their lives take on different paths. It reminds us to be creative, accountable, helpful, aware of your own inner-energy and MORE. I especially liked t...more
Stephanie
I had to read this book for my ethics and values class. I didn't hate like I do with a lot school books I'm forced to read. It was pretty decent. Since I had to write journal entries on it, I know I focused and dissected things about the book that I normally wouldn't have. I liked looking at the different cultures and areas. I also liked how there were two separate lives that the reader gets to follow throughout the novel. The book did get to a point where I lost completely interest and so I was...more
Jane
I liked the book, although the first part was slow and pretty downtrodden for the characters...I did like the author's 'philosophy' for her characters and kept wondering what kind of contact she herself had with Australian Aborigines- there is a photo of her w/a grey, bearded man in the front-Now I am reading online that there is controversy with her and her information-yes it is a novel and fiction-but it seems she has stepped on some toes in the meantime-

Debby
Deanna Hansen
What I learned from this book....among many other things.....
From page 117: "Strive to achieve wisdom. Wisdom is a very separate issue from knowledge.....A person can be extremely intelligent and not possess one ounce of wisdom. Wisdom is how a person uses knowledge. It is the deliberate, selective decision to act in a certain way or not to act at all, considering the welfare of everyone concerned."
Clackamas
I think she said everything that she needed to in the first book Mutant Message Down Under. This one felt like it was just being written to make a little more money, maybe refocus people's attention on the first, and satisfy the people who always feel like a follow up is needed.

All in all, I feel like reading this one detracted from what I learned by reading the first.
Melissa
This is another mixed stars review. I didn't like the first half of the book very well, it was totally different from the first book. I thought the stage could have been set more quickly.

HOWEVER, the 2nd part taught me as much as the first Mutant Message book. Read these books! I'm a better person for what I'm learning from them.
Dustin
An ever deeper understanding of aboriginal philosophy. I have never felt more human. They truly are the Real People. An affirmation of the magic that surrounds us all the time.
the first third of the book was a little sluggish, but it's worth it to get to the last 2/3rds.
Chris
not as good as the first book, very depressing in the beginning, kind of familiar story towards the end...
Pat
Again I was glad to read more from this author about the aborigines and their way of life..this story had interesting characters that made it all the more intriging,although heart wrenching how people can be so cruel to one another,but somehow they survive.
Nan
This story could be better, but author actually didn’t endeavor enough, so it’s very bad. The only thing that I liked is the story of the dingo puppies and their dying mother. And I will also say that it doesn’t content any message from forever, lol
Karen
I absolutely loved this author's first book, Mutant Message Down Under. This book does not come close. I found myself checking to see how many pages I had left to read. I found it too preachy. It lacked the magic of the first book.
Anna
I finished this awhile ago but forgot to update. Like my mom commented, it was not nearly as good as Message Down Under. It was a good story,and had a good message but just not as amazing as the other.
Mary Ellen
I actually would have given this only about a 2.5 rating. It was ok but didn't hold a candle to Mutant message down under. It was really just a skimpy version of that one and I was a little disappointed.
Nicolle
Just as powerful as the first! These books make me want to be a better human being, along with teaching me about true faith and living my life as God intended. I only wish more people were like this.
Aaron
This book has an interesting story. The only fall back is that it isn't as rich with aboriginal wisdom as 'Mutant Message Down Under'. However this is a good read.
arcobaleno
Coinvolgimento assolutamente inferiore a quello per E venne chiamata Due Cuori.
Ruby
Apr 02, 2013 Ruby marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mike
This was a great follow up to Mutant Message Down Under. Although much more fictional, its another great reminder and eye opener.
Sean Brannen
Really contrasts endogenous outlook with modernized dependabilities. Sacred and unforgettable story..A story that sticks to the ribs.
Patricia
An interesting tale about the aborigines, their life in a new modern society as well as the background of their tribe. Thought provoking.
Wendy Hollister
recommended by Myron Johnson. An interesting story about the Aborigines and their wisdom (connected to nature and themselves).
Goodreads Librari...: Librarian Comments 4 68 Feb 01, 2013 12:05AM
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self: Mending the Fragmented Self Through Shamanic Practice
  • Practicing Peace in Times of War
  • Afghanistan, Where God Only Comes To Weep
  • Chop Wood, Carry Water
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • Power of Awareness: New Edition Incorporating Neville's Later Notes
  • The Empress of Weehawken: A Novel
  • Losing My Mind: An Intimate Look at Life with Alzheimer's
  • Songs for the Butcher's Daughter
  • Justiz
  • The Holy Road (Dances with Wolves, #2)
  • Sylvia Browne's Book of Angels
  • The Laws of Spirit: A Tale of Transformation
  • SPQR VII: The Tribune's Curse (SPQR, #7)
  • The Last Day
  • Sukkwan Island
  • The God Code
  • Getting in the Gap
Marlo Morgan is a controversial American novelist best known for her book Mutant Message Down Under concerning Aboriginal Australians, a book which was originally promoted as nonfiction but has since been republished as fiction.
More about Marlo Morgan...
Mutant Message Down Under, Tenth Anniversary Edition Poslanie S Togo Krai︠a︡ Zemli Cómo Trabajar desde Casa...Y Ganar Dinero (Spanish Edition) Il cielo, la terra e quel che sta nel mezzo 1001 weetjes (1001 weetjes #2)