Start by marking “6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model” as Want to Read:

Ideas, Organization, Voice, Word Choice, Sentence Fluency, Conventions, and Presentation. Look at good writing in any genre, and you'll find these traits. Think of them as the fuel that stokes the engine of writing. With this book, teachers will learn how to assess student work for these traits and plan instruction. And they'll be amazed at how the writing in their classro ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Scholastic Teaching Resources (Theory an

Heather
Dec 06, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
What a stimulating read. Note the sarcasm. In actuality, this is a decent writing program to help students organize papers and the content within the paper.
Christina
May 04, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for teaching writing to kids, especially if you agree with the basic premise that children should learn to come up with their own topics and ideas for writing and learn to self-assess. By breaking down writing into 6-7 "traits," the author makes teaching and assessment more meaningful to children. Although the assessment aspect (which I realize comprises the bulk of the book) was not MY main focus, I found it extremely useful in learning how to provide helpful, constructive ...more
LeeAnn
Apr 14, 2015 LeeAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great, comprehensive book for teachers. I found lots of good ideas I can use in my classroom of 7th & 8th graders! Especially the "My First Scoring Guide" pages at the end of each section. There are some neat activities here that would work with writers of all ages. Definitely adding this to my collection, and sharing with my colleagues.
Bea Elwood
May 30, 2016 Bea Elwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-stuff
This was left in my classroom and I finally got around to reading it. More of an assessment guide then actually lesson plans, but it was also inspiring to read. I don't want to kill writing for my students, I don't want to be formulaic, and I think this approach offers a place to grow from. Look forward to trying this out next year.
Merideth Block
Mar 05, 2016 Merideth Block rated it it was amazing
As a method for teaching writing, you can't go wrong with learning this style. It's flexible enough for the creative and structured enough for the clueless. I've been using it since 2002 and I've gotten great results across the boards. Better yet, read the book and then go to a training.
Rachel Turner
Dec 07, 2014 Rachel Turner rated it really liked it
Great explanations for each trait, easy to follow lesson plan ideas, awesome samples of student work. Recommended for any Upper Elementary teacher to keep on their shelves for reference or a quick lesson to focus on one of the traits.
Brittany Emily Cebada
Sep 05, 2016 Brittany Emily Cebada rated it really liked it
Packed with many different writing ideas! This guide details different approaches educators can take when incorporating writing into all the subjects. Glad this book was a required text, it's worth hanging on to!
Cortney
Mar 10, 2012 Cortney rated it liked it
I've read through this a few times as it is the textbook for my grad class in teaching writing. I use it as a reference and I've found it to be a helpful resource. It is, of course, just the latest incarnation of the "sure fire way to teach writing!!" fad, and certainly in a few years (or next month) another "sure fire way to teach writing!!" system will crop up and replace it. Such is the state of educational philosophy in our test obsessed culture. So, I take what seems relevant, implement wha ...more
Scott Hayden
Aug 30, 2016 Scott Hayden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
So clear and useful that we bought it for almost every teacher at ICS.
Katie
Jun 29, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
Really helpful book!
Sara Stalder
This is a required textbook in my college elementary education course called Language Method Management/Assessment. I found this book very readable; it is not dry, wordy, or boring like some of these informational "textbook" style texts usually are. It was very friendly language, and style of writing and I found this book very enjoyable to read. I also found it very informational and helpful with beginning to learn how to grade student papers. Many of the sample student papers they give to pract ...more
Christine Theberge Rafal
Apr 17, 2010 Christine Theberge Rafal rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
This book contained an elegant and flexible rubric for good writing, designed by people at the Northwest Regional Educational Lab. I used excerpts from the book in a professional development course I wrote for PBS Teacherline. I like the emphasis on sharing the rubric with students before they write. I think fair assessment always offers clear criteria before the assignment or test is given; knowing about these traits helps students create good writing from the start.
Talia
Sep 29, 2008 Talia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: writing teachers
Shelves: education
The whole common assessment and familiar rubric for grading writing is essential--is absolutely necessary, and I'm glad that schools are adopting it. I know in time, students will have better-trained eyes when it comes to spotting "good" and "bad" writing, and in turn, improve their own, of course. I'm having a hard time coming up with enough concrete stuff for my 50/50 concrete/abstract thinkers and writers, though.
Michelle
May 26, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on how-to teach the writing process. There are some wonderful activities that teachers can do with students in order to give them different writing strategies. It is very engaging, something that I find can be difficult when teaching writing.
Jill Scott
May 16, 2010 Jill Scott rated it liked it
Cute book. I think I'll read this to my class next year. The story is told from the perspective of a girl and a boy. Each chapter "flips" so that the girl tells one chapter, then the boy, and so on.
Monica
Aug 28, 2010 Monica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: elementary school teachers
The book gives a clear explanation of what children need to do to write good papers. It breaks it down to six areas and provides rubrics for scoring students writings as well as examples.
Christine
Sep 17, 2007 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ELa primary teachers
Some good ideas that I am looking forward to trying, but still overwhlemed with how you would mark everything, just seems like soooooooooo much work! Am going to try though.
Apr 16, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching-related
Of indispensable value to me. Because the school district I work in focuses on the 6 traits of writing almost everything in this book was of use in the classroom.
Missy
Jul 26, 2012 Missy rated it liked it
A great resource to put in your toolbox of tricks, but definitely not for use as a "writing program." It totally leaves out the writing process.
Amy Anderson
Aug 08, 2011 Amy Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-books
I've read this once before, but it was a nice refresher. I have some more ideas on incorporating these strategies with Step Up to Writing.
Debbie
Jun 30, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Very informative and great ideas easily translated to the classroom, use it to structure my writing program
Diane
Jul 02, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
A great resource for anyone learning how to write or who wants to teach writing.
Erin Fowler
Jul 16, 2015 Erin Fowler rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource to teachers for strengthening students writing!
Betsy
Dec 26, 2009 Betsy rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
Has great examples of lessons to use with each trait.
Debora Wilson
Punctuation Walkabout- stop and stomp feet for period etc.
Molly Raddemann
Jan 28, 2010 Molly Raddemann rated it it was amazing
Awesome ideas for teaching writing to students
Kristen
May 09, 2013 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Required reading. Always makes it less enjoyable.
Karen
Jul 25, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
Wonderful resource for anyone teaching writing.
Aaron
Dec 18, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good ideas for class work.
Kim Bowman
Kim Bowman rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Craft Lessons
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Nonfiction Craft Lessons: Teaching Information Writing K-8
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction
  • Teaching Adolescent Writers
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Because Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in Our Schools
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
Ruth Culham, aka The Trait Lady, is the president of The Culham Writing Company and former Unit Manager of the Assessment Program at Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory (recently renamed Education Northwest) in Portland, Oregon.

She is the recognized expert in the traits of writing assessment field and author of numerous professional resources published by Scholastic, including 6+1 Traits of
More about Ruth Culham...