Start by marking “Fevre Dream” as Want to Read:
Fevre Dream

Fevre Dream

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,539 Ratings  ·  1,298 Reviews
When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investme ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by Bantam (first published September 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Fevre Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fevre Dream

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
25th out of 1,317 books — 7,092 voters
1984 by George OrwellDracula by Bram StokerAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Quality Dark Fiction
81st out of 1,554 books — 1,893 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookworm Sean
Abner March looks strangely like George R.R Martin. They are both overweight men. They both have long beards and wear sea captain’s hats. I’m not sure who came first. Perhaps Martin modelled the character off of his own appearance or perhaps he liked his creation so much that he was compelled to try the style himself. It’s a little bit weird really, though the book is still quite good even if the protagonist is somewhat laughable in his resemblance of his creator.

This is the French cover:

description

They ju
Dirk Grobbelaar

Yet another interesting spin on the Vampire mythos, Fevre Dream is a delightfully atmospheric historical horror-drama. It skirts dangerously close to the boundary between Horror and Urban Fantasy, but it still manages to stir up some legitimate scares. This is George R.R. Martin, after all, and one or two of the more disturbing scenes will likely echo with you for an uncomfortable space of time.

That night he dreamt. In his dreams he was dark and graceful, elegant and predatory. It was always nig
Vincent Ribaya
Jun 06, 2012 Vincent Ribaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I believe all authors have a certain piece of work that sadly doesn't get its due credit. For George R.R. Martin, that book would most probably be Fevre Dream.

I personally enjoyed this novel, and though preoccupied with a Transition Camp for medical school, I managed to finish it throughout my 2-night stay at that camp. The book was quite fast-paced, and there are a few parts in the plot which I think could've been longer - but it all worked out quite nicely.

Many would claim Fevre Dream was a fe
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*

“Good and evil are silly lies, nonsense put forth to plague honest sensible men.”

Technology keeps improving but some parts of life and glory will be lost in the process.

Fevre Dream is a beautiful, multi-layered story that stands as a historical drama bordering fantasy and horror. It's more in line with Urban Fantasy because of the vampires that come out of the fog in our current world, the historical setting plays up on the atmosphere of the old steamboats and their glories, and - while not out
Brittany
Aug 28, 2012 Brittany rated it it was ok
To enjoy this book, there are some things that I honestly believe that you must possess.

1. A love of steamboats, because goddamn does this book go on and on about steamboats. The main character, Abner Marsh, is a steamboat captain with an obsessive love of steamboats, and as is typical of Martin's writing when he gets Really Involved with something, every single tiny facet of the boat is described...sadly leaving the actually interesting parts, mainly those regarding the pasts of his vampire ch
Shayan
Jun 22, 2014 Shayan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: odoroten, Krûvnik, védomec, wieszczy, Vilkakis, vrkolák, nosferatu, and VAMPIRE lovers
Recommended to Shayan by: Ali Nazifpour
“Well, well” That was all Mister Tipton murmured, in such a low voice that even GRRM couldn't hear it, when his knife got The Beast in the eye.

Although Sour Billy Tipton was just one of the characters, but he was the one that I was obsessed with. Despicable old Sour Billy! But I love you for that, for being such a monstrous abominable creature, for waking in me a great deal of HATRED which I didn't know I’m capable of. Oh Billy, whoever will I hate and love without you?

To despise a fiction char
Kimberly
Jun 22, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: group-read
Beautifully written tale of the most unlikely union. The atmosphere on the river/steamboat was breathtakingly real. There isn't really much to say about this novel that other reviewers haven't already said. I'll simply add that I stayed up and read nearly the entire novel in a single night--that's how hard it was to put down!

Highly recommended!
Kathryn
Fevre Dream is an unusual novel. First, it is excellent historical fiction, set amongst the steamboats traveling up and down the Mississippi, between New Orleans and St. Louis, in the mid to late 1800's. Second, it is full of interesting characters heavily influenced and molded by their environment and professions. Second, there are vampires. A+ for the first and second. C+ for the vampires.

This is my first novel by George R. R. Martin. Like many readers, I am tempted to read his series A Song o
Becky
Jan 08, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
Recommended to Becky by: VM-MD
3.5 Stars

This was a definite departure from what I'm used to when it comes to GRRM. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I don't think that this was it. Not that it was bad... just not what I was expecting. I did enjoy it quite a bit though.

So, this story is set in the mid-19th century, on the rivers that vein the South and in New Orleans, during the slave trade... with 'people of the night'. The take on these vampires (let's call a spade a spade here) was different, and interesting..
Charlene
Jan 25, 2013 Charlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read finished on 1.24.13.
This books cements its spot as one of my all time favorite novels. Vampires on a steamship in the 1850's on the mighty Mississippi River. Not only is it a great premise, but Mr. Martin follows through and delivers one hell of a story to back it up.
Highly recommended!
Marc-Antoine
Featuring one of the most interesting heroes in all of the books I've had the pleasure to read in Abner Marsh, a fantastic setting, and a steamboat that makes you want to go back in time and experience a great race yourself. This was a wonderful read and I would recommend highly.
Kate
Captain Abner Marsh has been beset with misfortune after misfortune and is now struggling to keep his steamboat company together, that is until he meets the mysterious Joshua York. Mr York proposes to become a partner, putting much needed money into the company, allowing them to build the most beautiful steamboat on the Mississippi river, the Fevre Dream. He has certain stipulations of his own, some of which are bizarre but Captain Marsh can't resist the chance to once again have some standing o ...more
Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
I put this on my paranormal-urban shelf at first, but it doesn't belong there. It's a horror story (view spoiler) but it isn't really supernatural. Set in the mid 1800's on the Mississippi river, it has a ton of ambiance. The setting was very well done without being too wordy. It seemed quite accurate in most historical & physical facts, although I had some issues with a shotgun at the end. (view spoiler) ...more
Markus Molina
Jul 17, 2012 Markus Molina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire enthusiasts, George RR Martin fans
Boy, oh, boy, does Mr. Martin know how to bring characters to life. I never have had characters feel so real to me so immediately as I have when reading from the point of views of his protagonists. Abner Marsh leaped off the page and I felt like I knew the steamboat captain personally. Though, I admit, in this book, the antagonists (some vampire folks) are set up rather weakly and kind of read a bit generically (mostly through only the first half). Although, I suppose that might be attributed to ...more
Klodovik2
Jul 20, 2015 Klodovik2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
jedna od najboljih knjiga koje sam ikad pročita. toliko me knjiga uvukla u svoj svjet da sam skoro zaplakao na kraju koliko su mu se likovi i njihove sudbine uvukle pod kožu. nikad me ni jedna knjiga nije toliko dirnula u srce a riječ je o knjizi o vampirima. O VAMPIRIMA a skoro sam plakao ko uspaljene teenagerice na Twilight
Zahra
Apr 02, 2016 Zahra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
ما هر روز از بین گزینه های پیش رومون انتخاب می کنیم.

نکته جالب داستان تحمل تفاوتها در دوستیهاست.
کتاب با شراکت دو شخص کاملا متفاوت شروع می شود. ملوانی زخمت، زشت رو و بددهن با نجیبزادهای اروپایی خوشپوش، آرام و موقر، یکی انسان و دیگری از مردم شب (خون آشام). در نهایت علی رغم این تفاوتها، شراکت به رفاقت تبدیل می شود. به قدری عمیق که هریک حاضرند برای دیگری فداکاری کنند.
Sarah Anne
This was an impressive book. I've avoided reading GoT because Epic Fantasy isn't my thing, but if this is how Martin writes, then I'd better get on it.

I think one of my favorite things was that although there was blood and violence, it never descended into using gore in place of scary stuff and then calling it horror. This had some truly creepy and terrifying moments but it was done more with the tension and the dynamics of the people involved rather than by making it as much of a bloodbath as
Kelly
May 18, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
For some time I’ve been a fan of George R.R. Martin’s A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series. In the last few years, though, when my mind turns to that series, it’s usually either (a) to speculate about potential plot twists or (b) to wish the next book were out already. What I forget is how much I simply enjoy Martin’s writing, particularly his nuanced, flawed characters and the way he can turn a phrase. Fevre Dream, a tale of vampires on the Mississippi River in the mid-to-late nineteenth century, prov ...more
Mark
Jan 04, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So wait, it's possible to have a vampire story without a bunch of teenage angst? Amazing!

As someone who's read Martin's other, bigger works in A Song of Ice and Fire and to a lesser extent Wild Cards, it was very interesting to read something from before he was well-known outside of a niche within the already-niche SF/F world. Fevre Dream is from the early 80s and is set along the Mississippi River in the mid-1800s. This kind of gives it an otherworldly quality, this world of river steamers that
Manju
Dec 10, 2014 Manju rated it really liked it
Another group book and my first by Mr Martin. I must say it was very different from other Vampire books that I’ve read. No love story, just battle of wills between good and bad.

Joshua York offers a partnership offer to Abner Marsh, a former successful riverman. But he also put some conditions for Abner like he would never ask question about York’s behaviour or his guests. Abner accepts York’s conditions and commenced the partnership. With York’s wealth Abner made a boat of his dreams and named
George
Jan 01, 2016 George rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Πέρυσι είχα τις δυο πρώτες μου επαφές με το έργο του Τζ. Ρ. Ρ. Μάρτιν, αρχικά με το καλογραμμένο και όμορφο παραμύθι "Ο δράκος του πάγου" και στην συνέχεια με την εκπληκτική συλλογή τριών νουβελών "Ο ιππότης των Επτά Βασιλείων". Τώρα τριτώνει το... καλό, με ένα πραγματικά εξαιρετικό βιβλίο που συνδυάζει άριστα τον τρόμο και την φαντασία με το ιστορικό μυθιστόρημα. Γραμμένο το 1982, πλέον είναι από τα καλύτερα και κλασικά μυθιστορήματα που έχουν να κάνουν με βρικόλακες.

Ο ψηλός, χοντρός και μάλλον
Lou
Oct 17, 2011 Lou rated it really liked it
Great atmospheric story set in the period of 1857 during slave era, setting is great on-board a grand steamship with a few vampires mixed in to boot, what more could you ask to have in a novel! This was the first of a few vampire books i was going to read in a row just felt in a bloody mood, then i would go on to Dan Brown in time for the movie release.
Aida
Feb 14, 2014 Aida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
داستان عالی بود... اصلاً حرف نداشت. ترجمه هم فارسی خوب و خواندنیای داشت. نویسنده خیلی زیبا از شعرهای بایرون رو در میان داستانش استفاده کرده. توصیفهای نویسنده انقدر خوب و کامله که قشنگ تک تک آدمها و اون کشتی "لعنتی" رو میشه تو ذهن تصور کرد. :-D

Perfect story... perfect describing... wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! :-D
Jonathan Janz
May 21, 2013 Jonathan Janz rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on my blog: http://jonathanjanz.com/2012/06/01/ge...

Why, you might ask yourself, am I talking about a decades-old novel by a writer with more riches than Croeses when I, a writer whose last big purchase was a Wii for my children (including the MarioKart Fun Pack!), have my own second novel set to be released in five days?

Because I'm an idiot? Perhaps.

Or maybe it's because George R.R. Martin deserves it.

When Mark Sieber at the Horror Drive-In stated that Fevre Dr
Melissa
Oct 01, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-mashup
Huh. I haven't read the Song of Ice and Fire series - I made it a couple of pages into the first book, found myself already confused, and gave up - so this was my first real George R.R. Martin experience. And my first reaction was: why aren't more people talking about this book?

I never read Ann Rice, either, so maybe this story isn't as innovative as I think it is, but the basic premise is that it's the 1850's, and a steamer boat captain who's recently off a string of bad luck is approached by a
Carmo Santos
Sonho Febril não é um livro só para os amantes de fantasia, em especial vampiros. É um livro para qualquer amante de leituras, porque é um livro bem escrito que nos agarra desde a primeira página.

Lado a lado com um enredo bem construído, corre uma escrita fluida que nos leva a navegar pelas águas do Mississípi, em 1857 em plena época áurea dos barcos a vapor.
É um retrato fiel de um tempo em que a navegação fluvial era o principal meio de transporte de mercadorias e pessoas, e os barcos a vapor
Latasha
Dec 12, 2015 Latasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Abner Marsh is one of the greatest characters ever written. I fell in love with this book before chapter 1 was over. Joshua is great, too. this book is just great- READ IT!
Joey
Oct 09, 2015 Joey rated it liked it
Not a bad book just nothing great about it. Mostly typical vampire stuff.
Behdad Ahmadi
Mar 31, 2015 Behdad Ahmadi rated it it was amazing
من زیاد با داستان های خون آشامی ارتباط برقرار نمی کنم، چون به نظرم این موجودات هیچ پتانسیلی ندارن و علاقه ی مردم به این سبک رو درک نمی کنم.

اما این کتاب... شدیدا لذتبخش بود. روایت تمام 500 صفحه ی این کتاب توسط دو تا انسان بود. دو سه فصل رو یکی از شخصیت های دوم به نام بیلی تیپتون روایت می کرد و باقی فصل ها رو یک انسان دیگه به نام ابنر مارش که شخصیت اصلی کتاب هم بود و شاید همین باعث شد راحت تر با خون آشامی بودنش کنار بیام.

سعی داشتم ترتیب و نظم نقد نویسی رو حفظ کنم، اما حالا که در حال نوشتنم میبینم
Rade
Aug 03, 2014 Rade rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, owned
This was one hell of a story! Besides writing Game of Thrones books, Martin has written another possible less known tale of a different genre. There were quite a few things I loved about this book:

1) The Setting: loved the idea of the story taking place on water aboard a steamboat. Not only that but the story takes place in 1800s which is by no means original but at least you can't have police bringing a hell storm if something bad goes down in the city like in many stories set in modern times.
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • Time And The Gods
  • The Dragon Waiting
  • The Conan Chronicles: Volume 2: The Hour of the Dragon (The Conan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • The Bloody Red Baron (Anno Dracula, #2)
  • Fevre Dream
  • Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1)
  • The Golden
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • The Emperor of Dreams
  • Darker Than You Think
  • The Second Book of Lankhmar
  • Sunglasses After Dark (Sonja Blue, #1)
  • Song of Kali
  • The Mark of the Beast and Other Horror Tales (Dover Horror Classics)
  • The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Green Pearl and Madouc (Lyonesse, #2-3)
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

“Beneath it his skin was milky white, serene and unlined, ready to begin anew, ready for the world to write upon it.” 9 likes
“ABNER Marsh had a mind that was not unlike his body. It was big all around, ample in size and capacity, and he crammed all sorts of things into it. It was strong as well; when Abner Marsh took something in his hand it did not easily slip away, and when he took something in his head it was not easily forgotten. He was a powerful man with a powerful brain, but body and mind shared one other trait as well: they were deliberate. Some might even say slow. Marsh did not run, he did not dance, he did not scamper or slide along; he walked with a straightforward dignified gait that nonetheless got him where he wanted to go. So it was with his mind. Abner Marsh was not quick in word or thought, but he was far from stupid; he chewed over things thoroughly, but at his own pace.” 3 likes