The Boxer's Heart: How I Fell in Love with the Ring

The Boxer's Heart: How I Fell in Love with the Ring

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"I fought to shake things up, to play with the world. If I--sometime bookworm, singer in a band, Londoner, magazine editor, fiction writer, hotel and restaurant critic, softball addict, Caucasian of mixed heritage, pony-mad child, expatriate--could become a convincing pugilist, then anything under the sun is possible."

So says Kate Sekules, the author of this brilliantly ca...more
Published September 19th 2000 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about The Boxer's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boxer's Heart

Izzy
Sekules wrestles with the sport, the sexism, the violence, the ugliness. And yet, I don't feel as if I know anything about her...really. Sometimes I was annoyed with the author, as I annoy myself when I get trapped in my head and think my way into circles. And that's how reading this book sometimes felt--like you're reading in circles.

Sekules wrestles with being a woman with what she perceives to be an imperfect form. How many of us are unhappy with our bodies and skulk to the gym in search of...more
Melody
Really, really enjoyed this. I was expecting a very passionate story about nothing but fighting and the things that go into fighting, but I was pleasantly surprised to get more than that. Kate takes you in the ring, out of the ring, into the culture, into the media coverage of the culture, the wins, the losses, everything. She writes about aspects of boxing that I didn't even consider, like the men who have sexual fetishes about it and how punishing it is to prepare for a fight (if you're lucky...more
Lucky
I probably wouldn't have picked this up if I had noticed it was a reprint of a book first published 11 years ago. But, I'm so glad I did. This was a rare opportunity to read a book by an experienced journalist who was not just a dabbler in something for a year and then writes a book. Boxing was something the author pursued for a variety of reasons; but, I don't think any were so she could write a book about it, which makes this a refreshing addition to the memoir genre.

The timing is also perfect...more
Lala Hulse
This is the one that kicked off my books-about-boxing craze. I don't read about sports and I don't read memoirs, so who knows why I decided to pick up this book, other than I like boxing (well, kickboxing, actually). I ended up really enjoying it. She did a great job conveying, first of all, what hard work it is training to be a boxer, and how it affects other facets of your life and your interactions with people. She also goes into her experience as a female boxer and how female professional bo...more
Bax
I despise women's boxing on the professional level as a demeaning sideshow, no better than "celebrity" boxing.

But boxing is inherently fascinating, and the author's well-told tale of her love affair with the sport and her efforts to land a 'real' fight drew me in.
Lindsay Eaton
I couldn't believe it when I saw this book in the library - women's boxing - how fantastic. And I wasn't disappointed! Interesting and inspirational - a must-read for women who box or think they might like to. Thanks Kate - I just loved it.
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Kelly Garcia
Kelly Garcia marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Amir
Amir is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2013
Amir
Amir marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Katie
Katie added it
Feb 07, 2013
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jan 07, 2013
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2012
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2012
Beamish13
Beamish13 marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2012
Merari
Merari marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2012
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
April
April marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2012
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2012
The Boxer's Heart. Kate Sekules Frommer's Irreverent Guides: London The Boxer's Heart: A Woman Fighting Aa City Pack New York (Aa City Pack Guides) New York (Aa Citypacks)