Start by marking “The Boxer's Heart: How I Fell in Love with the Ring” as Want to Read:
The Boxer's Heart: How I Fell in Love with the Ring

The Boxer's Heart: How I Fell in Love with the Ring

"I fought to shake things up, to play with the world. If I--sometime bookworm, singer in a band, Londoner, magazine editor, fiction writer, hotel and restaurant critic, softball addict, Caucasian of mixed heritage, pony-mad child, expatriate--could become a convincing pugilist, then anything under the sun is possible."

So says Kate Sekules, the author of this brilliantly ca
Published September 19th 2000 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about The Boxer's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boxer's Heart

Izzy
Apr 23, 2012 Izzy rated it liked it
Sekules wrestles with the sport, the sexism, the violence, the ugliness. And yet, I don't feel as if I know anything about her...really. Sometimes I was annoyed with the author, as I annoy myself when I get trapped in my head and think my way into circles. And that's how reading this book sometimes felt--like you're reading in circles.

Sekules wrestles with being a woman with what she perceives to be an imperfect form. How many of us are unhappy with our bodies and skulk to the gym in search of
Lucky
Jul 12, 2012 Lucky rated it really liked it
I probably wouldn't have picked this up if I had noticed it was a reprint of a book first published 11 years ago. But, I'm so glad I did. This was a rare opportunity to read a book by an experienced journalist who was not just a dabbler in something for a year and then writes a book. Boxing was something the author pursued for a variety of reasons; but, I don't think any were so she could write a book about it, which makes this a refreshing addition to the memoir genre.

The timing is also perfect
Melody
Aug 08, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, really enjoyed this. I was expecting a very passionate story about nothing but fighting and the things that go into fighting, but I was pleasantly surprised to get more than that. Kate takes you in the ring, out of the ring, into the culture, into the media coverage of the culture, the wins, the losses, everything. She writes about aspects of boxing that I didn't even consider, like the men who have sexual fetishes about it and how punishing it is to prepare for a fight (if you're lucky ...more
Lala Hulse
Oct 03, 2007 Lala Hulse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the one that kicked off my books-about-boxing craze. I don't read about sports and I don't read memoirs, so who knows why I decided to pick up this book, other than I like boxing (well, kickboxing, actually). I ended up really enjoying it. She did a great job conveying, first of all, what hard work it is training to be a boxer, and how it affects other facets of your life and your interactions with people. She also goes into her experience as a female boxer and how female professional bo ...more
Marilyn Robarts
Oct 30, 2016 Marilyn Robarts rated it it was amazing
This was a great little book. It was given to me by a friend prior to my first fight. Kate comes from the outside and you are able to sink deeper into the real world of boxing right along side of her. This book came out at a time when there were so few of us competing that it was a balm to be able to relate to someone who understood the boxing community from a woman's perspective.
Lindsay Eaton
I couldn't believe it when I saw this book in the library - women's boxing - how fantastic. And I wasn't disappointed! Interesting and inspirational - a must-read for women who box or think they might like to. Thanks Kate - I just loved it.
Bax
Jun 24, 2008 Bax rated it really liked it
Shelves: boxing, autobiography
I despise women's boxing on the professional level as a demeaning sideshow, no better than "celebrity" boxing.

But boxing is inherently fascinating, and the author's well-told tale of her love affair with the sport and her efforts to land a 'real' fight drew me in.
Lorraine
fascinating read about womens boxing written by a journalist. I want to try and read the Jane Couch one now if the library has that too!
Shelly Farrell
Shelly Farrell rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Dani Dinkel
Dani Dinkel rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2011
Marie-Eve Boudreault
Marie-Eve Boudreault rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Jodi Sarah
Jodi Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Lauren Von bernuth
Lauren Von bernuth rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Samatra
Samatra rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Katie Mcdonough
Katie Mcdonough rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2007
Randall Gwin
Randall Gwin rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2012
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2010
Adam MacDonald
Adam MacDonald rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Adam MacDonald
Adam MacDonald rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Michelle Godfrey
Michelle Godfrey rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Simone
Simone rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Beth Ivins
Beth Ivins rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2015
Haley Christina
Haley Christina rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Bella
Bella rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2009
Anthony Lee
Anthony Lee rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
May 16, 2007
Casi Mares
Casi Mares rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2014