Commit to Sit: Tools for Cultivating a Meditation Practice from the Pages of Tricycle

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From the pages of Tricycle, the country’s most widely read Buddhist magazine, comes Commit to Sit, an introduction to the art of meditation. In recent years, interest in meditation has grown to include not only those on a spiritual search, but also those who are simply working toward a healthy and meaningful life.

This book brings together a broad range of Buddhist meditat...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Hay House

Dave
I'm sure some else may get a lot out of this book, but not me.

I would definitely NOT recommend it to someone just starting to meditate. In the first few pages it tells the reader to start with meditating 20 minutes twice a day and work up to an hour twice a day. A beginner will read that and say "I ain't got that much time" and never get started in the first place. A better recommendation would be to start at 5 minutes 3 times a day, then 10 minutes twice a day, and so on.

If however, you have...more
Gita
Quite boring and uninspired. Had bookmarked some pages but it's not something I'll readily pick up again to try and finish
Jill
Very good tips, but since I like reading about how meditation is good for me instead of actually meditating.... well, we will see...
Kristi
Apr 29, 2010 Kristi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is a book that I will definetly keep out as a reference...really great book!
Karlene Olesuk
Didn't read it yet, but computer won't let me select my "to read" shelf
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Ignacio
Ignacio marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Kathryn Haskell
Kathryn Haskell marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Alex
Alex added it
May 25, 2014
Kestrel Lancaster
Kestrel Lancaster marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Richard Kramer
Richard Kramer is currently reading it
May 24, 2014
Kimberly Hill
Kimberly Hill is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Stefanie Huber
Stefanie Huber marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Stacia Yoon
Stacia Yoon marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2013
Alagu Sundaram
Alagu Sundaram marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
meditation 1 5 Apr 06, 2009 03:01PM
Coffee with The Buddha Good Karma: How to Find It and Keep It Happiness: How to Find It and Keep It The Meaning of Nice: How Compassion and Civility Can Change Your Life (and The World) Contemplative Living (Omega Institute Mind, Body, Spirit)