Start by marking “Galactic Derelict” as Want to Read:
Galactic Derelict

Galactic Derelict (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,097 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
A spaceship wrecked on Earth in the prehistoric past of the Folsom Man was the bait that drew an American time team back into the past. Travis Fox, a modern Apache, came along to lend them his knowledge of the ways of his ancestors against the elements and the savage beasts.

But, just when their mission was nearly accomplished, an accident set off the automatic controls of
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published 1959 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Galactic Derelict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Galactic Derelict

Dean Sault
Jul 21, 2013 Dean Sault rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andre Norton's Galactic Derelict will forever be special to me. As a youngster, I struggled with reading and reading comprehension. It was so bad I hated school and always felt like a failure. Hence, I refused to even try because intentional failure was better than trying to succeed, only to fail every time. I hated books. I hated reading.

One day, I cut through a church parking lot where they were setting up a rummage sale for the weekend. I walked past a table full of paperback books with no in
AndrewP
This was bundled with the eBook of 'The Time Traders' by the same author. The second book in a four book series I believe.

The first few chapters introduce a new character and are the weakest part of the book. Once you get passed these it's a pretty decent exploration adventure. It's way better than 'The Time Traders', which was an inferior take on the Burroughs 'capture-escape-capture-escape' format. This one is more about space travel then time travel.

If you bought the eBook combo and abandoned
Laudys
Jan 07, 2013 Laudys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Travis is out in the desert, having a good ol' time looking for water when he stumbles upon our favorite Time Traders, gets himself captured and, because people willing to sacrifice their lives for science ain't that common, ends up in the team.

And this time, the Time Traders are searching for something and to find it, they need to go back, way back: to the time when man hunted mammoths and had no idea what personal hygiene meant.

But prehistoric men, hungry saber tooths and angry volcanoes are
Dustin
Cold war young adult/boy's adventure in time & space. A lot lighter on the cold war theme than the first book in the series, this one makes good on the promise made in Time Traders of space adventure as the team find themselves the accidental crew of a twelve thousand year old space ship's attempt to return home.
I liked it. It was a fast read with a straightforward plot with a couple of interesting bits.
Tom Cole
Aug 09, 2011 Tom Cole rated it it was amazing
They get this ALIEN spaceship from back in time and transport it to NOW. Well it accidentally takes off with the guys in it and goes home! But home is a zillion years later, so they land and these ports of call, each giving a tantalizing look at a bygone race of aliens in their crumbling cities, etc. NICE. ONE OF MY FAVORITES.
Brendan
This 1959 adventure story has a relatively straightforward plot, or a really complicated one, depending the level of detail you want to go to. To whit, the straightforward plot: four American explorers accidentally trigger the dormant controls of an ancient space ship, sending themselves careening across the galaxy on an adventure unlike any other! And here's the complex one: Apache Travis Fox accidentally stumbles upon a secret government time-travel experiment headed up by his favorite profess ...more
Brett
Feb 23, 2017 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great old style science fiction romp. I particularly like the way he raises the issue of racism without preaching, keeping in perspective when the book was written I think it was quite effective, but did not distract from the story.
J.D.
This adventure sci-fi novel has a plot hatched through pure bad luck in timing, which is odd in itself because it happens to a group of time agents. While trying to recover an advanced spaceship from 12,000 years in Earth's past, three time agents and one unlucky tech take refuge from a volcanic eruption and stampeding wooly mammoths inside the vessel. Unfortunately, the attempt by the agency to pull the ship through to the 20th century, although successful, accidentally launches it on an interg ...more
Manuel Alfonseca
The second in the saga of the time traders, this novel describes the discovery of interstellar travel, not as a human invention, but by copying it from a previous extraterrestrial civilization. Like the previous book in the series, the main characters (all of them men, in spite of the fact that the author is a woman) make a very tight team who work together for the common well-being. The scientific basis, however, is not good. Apparently, the aliens whose steps the Earthmen are following took in ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 05, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Galactic Derelict

Travis, an Apache, is out scouting for water for the ranch's herd when he is captured by a man with a strange gun. It turns out the guy is part of a group of men who plan to go back into the past and examine a crashed alien spaceship.

Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The spaceship exists at a time when mammoths and like animals still lived on the earth. They manage to get there, but the ship they get into is brought into the present and then launches itself, sending the small group of men on an adventure to other worlds.

They vis
Jim Mcclanahan
Jan 27, 2016 Jim Mcclanahan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sequel to Time Traders, the characters change slightly. Ash is now more professorial in addition to being an action hero. And now a new player in the scenario is introduced in the person of a native American ranch hand. As with the first book in the series, this story is not only dated, but also somewhat ethnocentric. However, if one brushes those concerns aside (Edgar Rice Burroughs was much worse in his ethnic foibles), the story is captivating. A trip through the galaxy at the mercy of ali ...more
Debbie J
Galactic Derelict is a quaint 1950s science fiction tale which continues the harrowing adventures of a team of space- and time-traveling Cold War soldiers/archeologists.

In this outing, the fellows find themselves marooned on a distant planet fighting bizarre life forms that often resemble humanoid/animal hybrids. Perhaps even more than in the first Time Traders book, the travelers seem like a Star Trek squad--except without as much technical knowledge or equipment.

Author Andre Alice Norton does
James
Apr 08, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
In book #2 of the Time Traders series, Travis Fox, an Apache rancher, stumbles on a time-travel project and is recruited for it. Sent back to prehistoric America, he and his team seek advanced techology left by a space faring race of aliens. What they find is an intact alien spaceship. Attempting to bring the entire spaceship through the time portal, they succeed in activating the engines. Thus begins an involuntary trip aboard an alien starship that crashed on Earth before recorded history. Wha ...more
David
Nov 17, 2009 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm not sure which books were the very first SF novels I ever read, but I know I read Time Traders and Galactic Derelict as a teenager in the 1960's. I liked both, but the "tour of the galaxy's worlds" in Galactic Derelict especially impressed me and left me with fond memories. I'm not sure how much I'd like it as an older adult with many years of SF and science reading behind me. I have an ebook of it from Baen that I got thinking I'd give it a try, but I haven't done it yet.

I haven't had any c
Elise Traversa
I didn't realize that "Galactic Derelict" was bundled with the eBook of "The Time Traders". In fact, I didn't realize that I had read two books until I was listening to a podcast book club of "The Time Traders" and the entire second half was missing. This actually made me like both books more- I couldn't believe how strange it was that the narrator changed halfway through- the book had seemed quite disjointed until I realized I had read two books. I liked "Galactic Derelict" more than "The Time ...more
Carole O'Brien
I really enjoyed this it was a bit slow to start , but as the story started to unfold I was unable to put the book down.

It is a classic sci=fi written in the 1950's it is the second in the series, the first book is called "Time Traders" which was a brilliant read from the first page, this series has 8 stories in and I plan on reading every single one of them.

The second book in the series sees them going into space and visiting other planets, hope all those who love Sci-fi give this a chance.
Tomislav
Jan 03, 2014 Tomislav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I've been re-reading Andre Norton's 1950s series The Time Traders, that I first read when I was 10 or 12 or something like that. They are simplistic, of course, but I am enjoying re-experiencing the adventures. All four novels can be downloaded from Amazon in kindle format for free.

In this volume, Ross Murdoch and companions travel blindly in a Baldie spaceship that crashed on Earth in a past era, just ahead of their Cold War rivals. This is one of the novels I remember best.
Joseph
Mar 22, 2011 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So this was not really a sequel but a follow on to Time Traders. Once more a group of Americans are transported back in time, in this case to the American Southwest at the time of stone age Native American culture in an attempt to recover the technology of highly advanced aliens that visited Earth thousands of years in the past. Not as strong a story as Time Traders, but still enjoyable.
Tyrannosaurus regina
I actually liked this slightly better than the first book, due in no small part due to Travis Fox, who is rad. I haven't called anyone rad in a long time. Much like I was channelling my mother's childhood during the first book, I am apparently channelling my own for this one.

I mean, there's a profound absence of women, but I spent most of the book not being offended, which is always good. Plus there is interstellar travel which is something I really do miss about modern science fiction.
Serena
Jun 08, 2012 Serena rated it liked it
Ross and Ashe are joined with Travis Fox in a adventure that spans ages and stars; each world they land upon is a gamble as they get close and closer to finding out where their ship came from. What they find is not what they expected. There are worlds fit for humans to live upon, and lost bits of technology that could help or hinder; and more, aliens unlike the "Baldies" who are friendly rather than fierce.

Keith
Jan 01, 2013 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an Andre Norton novel I read in the 60's. I enjoyed it. In Galactic Derelict, Travis (an Apache) stumbles upon a group about to travel to prehistoric times. He ends up going to the past with them. They all have an interesting series of adventures - including being trapped on a traveling space ship.
Pat
Jan 11, 2017 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I remembered this Andre Norton book the most vividly from my childhood due to the settings and unusual (for the time) viewpoint of the main character. I'm pleased to see it has held up well upon a re-read.
Eli
Apr 21, 2010 Eli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good. I didn't know Andre Norton wasn't a dude until I was reading this. Her male characters lengthy and somewhat longing physical appraisals of each other make a lot more sense now.
Don Andrews
Jul 14, 2013 Don Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great read in another classic Sci-Fi from the masterful Andre Norton (born Alice Mary Norton, February 17, 1912 – March 17, 2005)features the use of recovered alien technology, to enable humans travel to the stars
Charles
Jul 17, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Another early one that I read from Andre Norton. I remember how intrigued I was when they discovered an intact spaceship in the distant past, and how they shipped it through time but then it took off with people aboard. Wonderful story.
Bram Slaats
Dec 15, 2016 Bram Slaats rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This second book in this series took the me on a really interesting ride. I liked how the author shaped the world and how even though most stuff was alien it still held some semblance to our world.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars
Kirt
May 19, 2008 Kirt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
When I read this in sixth grade, I was hooked for life. I had to find a better dictionary than I then had to understand the title, but that was only after I'd already read it, having been sucked in by the cover illustation and not been disappointed.
Anita
Jul 28, 2009 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it better than the The Time Traders which the first book in the series probably because it involved space travel. It was funny that the author depicts all this cool technology but information is still stored on tapes.
Valerie
I can't find a copy of this book in my library, but I'm pretty sure I read it. I seem to recall it being half of an Ace Double (?).

I'm not really sure, though, because it's referred to repeatedly in later books in the series, and I may be 'remembering' it through those flashbacks.
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Skylark of Valeron (Skylark #3)
  • The Survivors (Hunters # 2)
  • David Starr, Space Ranger (Lucky Starr, #1)
  • Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Of The Here And Now
  • The Wind from Nowhere
  • Necromancer (Childe Cycle, #2)
  • The Weather-Makers
  • The Girl in the Trees
  • The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4)
  • Wolfbane
  • The Winds of Gath (Dumarest of Terra #1)
  • Beyond the Farthest Star
  • Ensign Flandry (Flandry, #1)
  • Beautiful Red
  • The Man Who Could Work Miracles
  • Everyone in Silico
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Time Traders/Ross Murdock, (8 books)
  • The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)
  • The Defiant Agents (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #3)
  • Key Out of Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #4)
  • Firehand (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #5)
  • Echoes in Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #6)
  • Atlantis Endgame (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #7)
  • Time Traders III: Echoes In Time / Atlantis Endgame