Start by marking “Galactic Derelict” as Want to Read:
Galactic Derelict

Galactic Derelict (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  907 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A spaceship wrecked on Earth in the prehistoric past of the Folsom Man was the bait that drew an American time team back into the past. Travis Fox, a modern Apache, came along to lend them his knowledge of the ways of his ancestors against the elements and the savage beasts.

But, just when their mission was nearly accomplished, an accident set off the automatic controls of
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published 1959 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Galactic Derelict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Galactic Derelict

Dean Sault
Andre Norton's Galactic Derelict will forever be special to me. As a youngster, I struggled with reading and reading comprehension. It was so bad I hated school and always felt like a failure. Hence, I refused to even try because intentional failure was better than trying to succeed, only to fail every time. I hated books. I hated reading.

One day, I cut through a church parking lot where they were setting up a rummage sale for the weekend. I walked past a table full of paperback books with no in
Travis is out in the desert, having a good ol' time looking for water when he stumbles upon our favorite Time Traders, gets himself captured and, because people willing to sacrifice their lives for science ain't that common, ends up in the team.

And this time, the Time Traders are searching for something and to find it, they need to go back, way back: to the time when man hunted mammoths and had no idea what personal hygiene meant.

But prehistoric men, hungry saber tooths and angry volcanoes are
Cold war young adult/boy's adventure in time & space. A lot lighter on the cold war theme than the first book in the series, this one makes good on the promise made in Time Traders of space adventure as the team find themselves the accidental crew of a twelve thousand year old space ship's attempt to return home.
I liked it. It was a fast read with a straightforward plot with a couple of interesting bits.
Manuel Alfonseca
The second in the saga of the time traders, this novel describes the discovery of interstellar travel, not as a human invention, but by copying it from a previous extraterrestrial civilization. Like the previous book in the series, the main characters (all of them men, in spite of the fact that the author is a woman) make a very tight team who work together for the common well-being. The scientific basis, however, is not good. Apparently, the aliens whose steps the Earthmen are following took in ...more
This adventure sci-fi novel has a plot hatched through pure bad luck in timing, which is odd in itself because it happens to a group of time agents. While trying to recover an advanced spaceship from 12,000 years in Earth's past, three time agents and one unlucky tech take refuge from a volcanic eruption and stampeding wooly mammoths inside the vessel. Unfortunately, the attempt by the agency to pull the ship through to the 20th century, although successful, accidentally launches it on an interg ...more
This 1959 adventure story has a relatively straightforward plot, or a really complicated one, depending the level of detail you want to go to. To whit, the straightforward plot: four American explorers accidentally trigger the dormant controls of an ancient space ship, sending themselves careening across the galaxy on an adventure unlike any other! And here's the complex one: Apache Travis Fox accidentally stumbles upon a secret government time-travel experiment headed up by his favorite profess ...more
Tyrannosaurus regina
I actually liked this slightly better than the first book, due in no small part due to Travis Fox, who is rad. I haven't called anyone rad in a long time. Much like I was channelling my mother's childhood during the first book, I am apparently channelling my own for this one.

I mean, there's a profound absence of women, but I spent most of the book not being offended, which is always good. Plus there is interstellar travel which is something I really do miss about modern science fiction.
In book #2 of the Time Traders series, Travis Fox, an Apache rancher, stumbles on a time-travel project and is recruited for it. Sent back to prehistoric America, he and his team seek advanced techology left by a space faring race of aliens. What they find is an intact alien spaceship. Attempting to bring the entire spaceship through the time portal, they succeed in activating the engines. Thus begins an involuntary trip aboard an alien starship that crashed on Earth before recorded history. Wha ...more
I've been re-reading Andre Norton's 1950s series The Time Traders, that I first read when I was 10 or 12 or something like that. They are simplistic, of course, but I am enjoying re-experiencing the adventures. All four novels can be downloaded from Amazon in kindle format for free.

In this volume, Ross Murdoch and companions travel blindly in a Baldie spaceship that crashed on Earth in a past era, just ahead of their Cold War rivals. This is one of the novels I remember best.
I'm not sure which books were the very first SF novels I ever read, but I know I read Time Traders and Galactic Derelict as a teenager in the 1960's. I liked both, but the "tour of the galaxy's worlds" in Galactic Derelict especially impressed me and left me with fond memories. I'm not sure how much I'd like it as an older adult with many years of SF and science reading behind me. I have an ebook of it from Baen that I got thinking I'd give it a try, but I haven't done it yet.

I haven't had any c
More of a travelogue, but such vivid description it never dulls. Although the ending is a bit of an anti-climax. Not quite five stars.
1979 grade C
1997 grade B
2011 grade B+

Series book TT2

(I probably speed read portions the 3rd time.)
Ross and Ashe are joined with Travis Fox in a adventure that spans ages and stars; each world they land upon is a gamble as they get close and closer to finding out where their ship came from. What they find is not what they expected. There are worlds fit for humans to live upon, and lost bits of technology that could help or hinder; and more, aliens unlike the "Baldies" who are friendly rather than fierce.

So this was not really a sequel but a follow on to Time Traders. Once more a group of Americans are transported back in time, in this case to the American Southwest at the time of stone age Native American culture in an attempt to recover the technology of highly advanced aliens that visited Earth thousands of years in the past. Not as strong a story as Time Traders, but still enjoyable.
Tom Cole
They get this ALIEN spaceship from back in time and transport it to NOW. Well it accidentally takes off with the guys in it and goes home! But home is a zillion years later, so they land and these ports of call, each giving a tantalizing look at a bygone race of aliens in their crumbling cities, etc. NICE. ONE OF MY FAVORITES.
This is an Andre Norton novel I read in the 60's. I enjoyed it. In Galactic Derelict, Travis (an Apache) stumbles upon a group about to travel to prehistoric times. He ends up going to the past with them. They all have an interesting series of adventures - including being trapped on a traveling space ship.
I can't find a copy of this book in my library, but I'm pretty sure I read it. I seem to recall it being half of an Ace Double (?).

I'm not really sure, though, because it's referred to repeatedly in later books in the series, and I may be 'remembering' it through those flashbacks.
When I read this in sixth grade, I was hooked for life. I had to find a better dictionary than I then had to understand the title, but that was only after I'd already read it, having been sucked in by the cover illustation and not been disappointed.
Another early one that I read from Andre Norton. I remember how intrigued I was when they discovered an intact spaceship in the distant past, and how they shipped it through time but then it took off with people aboard. Wonderful story.
I liked it better than the The Time Traders which the first book in the series probably because it involved space travel. It was funny that the author depicts all this cool technology but information is still stored on tapes.
Don Andrews
great read in another classic Sci-Fi from the masterful Andre Norton (born Alice Mary Norton, February 17, 1912 – March 17, 2005)features the use of recovered alien technology, to enable humans travel to the stars
I didn't think this book was that great. You can find out more about what I thought about this book on my blog.
Val Schmitt
While I spent a bit of time second guessing the actions/abilities of the characters and the science of the story, this caught me up and I wanted to keep reading past "my bedtime"!
I read this in junior high and recall being fascinated with the tour of worlds and, of course, the time travel aspects. Very much influenced my reading selections.
I bought this book in junior high based on the cover art. I loved it and re-read it many times. It was one of the books that made me a life-long reader.
Super adventure wandering through time and space. Partly set in Arizona and with lots of Aliens. Yes, they are profiled. Another free kindle book.
Morgan Alreth
So many of today's most familiar sci-fi stories were actually originated by Norton. This is yet another of them.
The story started out well (not as good as the first in the series) but ended extremely abruptly.
Good fun from Ms. Norton. I really enjoy the cultures and aliens she creates.
This is one of the worst novels in the history of Sci Fi
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4)
  • Skylark of Valeron (Skylark #3)
  • Omnilingual
  • Necromancer (Childe Cycle, #2)
  • The Bloody Sun (Darkover #17.2)
  • Islands in the Sky
  • The Wind from Nowhere
  • The Man Who Counts
  • 50 Short Science Fiction Tales
  • Gather, Darkness!
  • The Winds of Gath (Dumarest of Terra #1)
  • Chanur's Homecoming (Chanur, #4)
  • Wolfbane
  • Worlds of The Golden Queen
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Time Traders / Ross Murdock (8 books)
  • The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)
  • The Defiant Agents (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #3)
  • Key Out of Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #4)
  • Firehand (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #5)
  • Echoes in Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #6)
  • Atlantis Endgame: A New Time Traders Adventure (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #7)
  • Time Traders III: Echoes In Time / Atlantis Endgame
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)