Start by marking “Adventures of a Psychic: The Fascinating and Inspiring True-Life Story of One of America's Most Successful Clairvoyants” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Adventures of a Psychi...

Sylvia Browne

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,218 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Adventures of a Psychic might not be the next Indiana Jones sequel, but the "adventures" in the title is appropriate, since Sylvia Browne never stops amazing us with her channeling, psychic visions, healing, and even ghost stories. Coauthor Antoinette May's biographical talents are first rate, however her third person point of view tends to distance the reader from Browne' ...more
250 pages
Published (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures of a Psychic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures of a Psychic

Claudia Loureiro
Jan 25, 2016 Claudia Loureiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This book gives us tons of insight of the life of Sylvia Browne. This is the first of Ms. Browne's books that I have read. I stayed glued to each and every page. Wanted it to go on longer. In my life time, I have had a few things happen that I would classify as odd but they were true. After having read this book, I discovered that it was not such weird occurrances afterall. If you've never picked up a Sylvia Browne book like me, then you will be enlightened. Recommended!
Matthew
Jun 11, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sylvia Browne fans, skeptics of psychics
I decided to stick with this book, even though it was very much like Psychic, which I just read. Although it contained a lot of the same information about the medium Sylvia Browne, it was much more detailed.
At first I didn't like the fact that the book was written in 3rd person, rather than 1st, which is how Sylvia's books are usually written. I got over that fast and flew through the book.
Ballerina60
May 27, 2015 Ballerina60 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i couldn't give a 5 because it was poorly written: they found bones and called a university -- you can't do that; you have to call the cops; and the university would have called the cops. and: she took dancing lesson but gave up because she wasn't coordinated; but she and her father won trophies dancing together. there was also some stuff that other people told sylvia about their experiences--but those weren't her experiences. otherwise, this was an extremely interesting book - and hard to put d ...more
Letticia
Aug 13, 2014 Letticia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reviewing this book about two months after finishing it, so I don't remember all of the details. However, I know that I really enjoyed reading this book. I love Sylvia's writing, it is so simple and easy to read. It really felt more like she was there telling you her story than you were sitting reading it out of a book. I really enjoyed hearing about her life and how she grew up. She had a good deal of struggle. Sylvia really is a real person, and you get that from this book. She doesn't com ...more
Megan
Nov 02, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whatever you're doing, stop and read this. I finished this book in three days. It's remarkable. The real-life stories and accounts from Sylvia Browne will reel you in. Through her work, she has taken the biggest skeptics (like doctors and cops) and turned them into avid believers. She's solved crimes, discovered diseases, and brought comfort to millions. Her story is riveting.

The only thing about this book that potentially limits its audience is the fact that it's religious. Certainly, any pers
Jill
Dec 17, 2014 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this book I would rate a one but parts of it are a four so I put my rating in the middle. This book is very unusual. It is not written in first person, which I thought was a ittle strange since the author is who the book is about.
Betty
Dec 22, 2015 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that I have read about a Psychic and I have not seen her on the Montel show, so the book introduced me to Sylvia and her life. I was fascinated with what I read and I liked how she described life after death. I am hoping that I find it to be true. The part about her new church was not interesting to me and I skipped over that.
Connie Marx
Jun 01, 2016 Connie Marx rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notquite what I expected but it was a good read. interesting. I put into perspective the person I always saw on tv.
Mia
May 26, 2014 Mia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Read it in just a few hours because I could not put it down.
Stephanie
I really liked to learn about her life from her youth till now but I didn't like a lot she had to say at the end about God and her new Religion. However I do love how she is a humanitary and uses her gifts for the greater good of people. I commend her for not charging the police when she helps them with missing persons and helps people come to peace with events that are going to or have happened to them.
Jamie
Oct 20, 2007 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a need for religion
This is one of my most favorite books ever. I sometimes feel ashamed admitting this, because of what it sounds like, but Sylvia is not only one of the brightest lights on earth, she is a wealth of knowledge and love. After reading this book, I found where I stood with God and religion. If you dare to challenge yourself and look beyond your boundary of ideas, you will at the very least, enjoy this book.
Desiree Frye
Apr 25, 2008 Desiree Frye rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: metaphysics
Sylvia Browne was my introduction to the life-after-death kick I've been on for about two years. I'm glad I started with her, because everything else I've read on the subject has been SO MUCH more believable. There are psychics (lots of them) who've demonstrated their abilities in double-blind studies. She isn't one of them.
Dawn Avery
Aug 16, 2011 Dawn Avery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book around the time that my little cousin died in a car accident. I was searching for answers and this book helped me move to a more comfortable place with death and the loss of her. It gave me some hope and helped me understand that the plans that we are not entitled to know.
Terri Bonow
I initially doubted her abilities to see the lives and struggles of different people. But having read most of her books, I am convinced that she has wonderful insight. She is an amazing psychic and this book inspires the reader with hopeful insights.
Lizzy Dromgoole
Mar 29, 2013 Lizzy Dromgoole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got into the whole psychic thing after my Mom died and I went to see one - my reading was so uncannily accurate that I became a believer and it has opened a whole new world for me. Sylvia's books are entertaining and enlightening. Not for skeptics.
Jordan
Jan 08, 2008 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jordan by: my mother
My mother sent this to me when I was a sophomore at UW. I don't have a set belief on psychics or the afterlife, so with an openmind I read her book and found it to be interesting. She has grown in popularity since then with all her Montel appearances.
Patti
Apr 16, 2008 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who grew up being psychic
First book I've read about another person who is psychic and how it helped and didn't help them in live. The reactions from others they had to deal with, etc. Made you feel like you weren't so alone or odd as people would have you think.
Katharine
Nov 19, 2015 Katharine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me captivated about Sylvia Browne and her real life story as a psychic. Tough to put down. If you love books exploring after-life and spirits, this is the book to read.
Bunny
Jul 16, 2012 Bunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in_my_library
I enjoyed this book, enough to finish it. It wasn't boring like some "bios" can be. I'm not sure whether I believe any of her accounts, but she is a very interesting personality. :)
Sara
Don't know if it's true, but its very entertaining. I had a hard time with her other books, but this is a biography along with her theories on the afterlife and related subjects.
Cinco
Jul 25, 2007 Cinco rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, paranormal
I can't bring myself to label this nonfiction, but it was a quick read and enabled me to answer questions about the author while I was working in a bookstore.
Rhonda
Aug 08, 2009 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sylvia-browne
I enjoyed this book..a little different than her other books..but allowed you to see where Sylvia has come as she also describes her journey
Carolina Soto
This was an interesting read, wasnt too into the last part of the book, pretty much skimmed through that chapter but interesting none the less.
Mrs. Riding
I read this book while visiting a relative who has read many of her books. It gave us a starting point to talk about life and the afterlife.
Crystal
Nov 26, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Sylvia Browne.
Recommended to Crystal by: self
Shelves: spirituality
The first book which explains the beginnings of the psychic Sylvia Browne. Lots of really great stories. A wonderful and pretty quick read.
Traci
Jul 22, 2008 Traci is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book affirms what I have known about life; that there is no beginning nor end and that the purpose of life is to learn how to love...
Aug 26, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked it, but she read too fast (listened to this one) … sentences ran into each other … sometimes hard to follow, but way interesting!
Aj Moore
I just LOVE Sylvia Browne! I could read every book she's written more than one time and not be tired of it! It's an amazing author!
Nina
Sep 23, 2008 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think her first book. I'm a purist, I like Sylvia's oldest books the best. My favorite Sylvia. Talk of the other side.
Pauline
Sep 04, 2011 Pauline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Believe her or not, I'm not sure either way but I like the way she presents herself and I find the wholeway of life interesting.
  • My Life With Sylvia Browne
  • Hallucinogens and Shamanism
  • Angel Therapy: Healing Messages for Every Area of Your Life
  • Don't Kiss Them Good-bye
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • An Introduction to the Teachings and Philosophy of the Dalai Lama in His Own Words
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
  • The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings
  • The Scalpel and the Soul: Encounters with Surgery, the Supernatural, and the Healing Power of Hope
  • Quantum-Touch: The Power to Heal
  • All Women Are Healers: A Comprehensive Guide to Natural Healing
Sylvia Browne was a number one New York Times–bestselling author and world-famous psychic. She appeared regularly on The Montel Williams Show and Larry King Live and made countless other media and public appearances. She was the founder of a church, the Society of Novus Spiritus.
More about Sylvia Browne...