Start by marking “Cat Cross Their Graves” as Want to Read:
Cat Cross Their Graves

Cat Cross Their Graves (Joe Grey #10)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Readers and reviewers alike have consistently praised multiple-award-winning author Shirley Rousseau Murphy for her absorbing plots, her charming, lyrical prose, and most of all, her delightful and highly realistic feline sleuths -- the wily tomcat Joe Grey, his best pal Dulcie, and their tattercoat friend Kit. Now Murphy has created her most compelling novel to date: the ...more
Published January 4th 2005 by Harper (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Cross Their Graves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Cross Their Graves

Ronna
This is the tenth Joe Gray, the talking cat , murder mystery. I loved the first one in this series, and definitely want to read more. But I broke a cardinal rule for myself with this book choice. This is the tenth book in this series, but the second one that I read. So unfortunately for me, I felt that a lot of character's introductions and action had happened in the previous books that was referred to in this book, but I was not completely in the loop for this story. Probably for that reason al ...more
Gaele
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall: 5 Narration: 5 Story: 5

This is a deliciously clever story: murders, secrets, runaways and above all the three clever cats that drive the story forward as they work to solve the mysteries. This is my first introduction to this series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy, and it most certainly will not be my last. The mystery was cleverly plotted, if on the darker side as it touched on themes of missing and exploited children all kicked off with the death of an aging film st
Audrey Southorn
I have always loved these cat stories. They are so interesting and give me a look at a State I have never had the good fortune to visit. Like my area n Toronto it is not flat. We have hills but not mountains and the weather is so different. These books have lots of make believe and would suit anyone who still likes fairy tales.
Judy
May 05, 2013 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults interested in mysteries
In the 10th Joe Grey mystery, Murphy waxes philosophical at several points about death and whether there is life after death. It's enough to make one wonder what might be going in her personal life that she is thinking so much about that. Nevertheless, the mystery is solid, but somewhat uncomfortable. The plot involves the murder of several children for an insane reason, and child abuse by a father who is trying to protect his child from becoming another victim. Even Kit, the just-turned-adult c ...more
Mervi Eskelinen
Jul 23, 2010 Mervi Eskelinen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lover, who likes murder mysteries, but doesn't mind a little fantasy either.
A former filmstar gets killed and a kid runs away from her dad. At the same time a grave of dead children is found from a garden. Cat Cross Their Graves is slightly all over the place and not as strong a story as some of the other Joe Grey Mysteries.

It took me some time to finish this book. I'm not sure if it's because I wasn't so much into it as I was into other Joe Grey Mysteries or if I just read too many of them in the row.
Betty
Kit and the Greenlaws are at Party Rose Hotel enjoying being together. Kit hears voices and looking out she finds the body of Party. Kit tracks the killer and manages to get trap in his house. Meanwhile Dulice and Joe aren't speaking. Digging in there garden the Senior Ladies find a skeleton. Does Kit get out, Joe's problem with Dulice and who are buried answers are twisted into one story.
Phair
Plot a little more scattered than usual with lots about death and the hereafter; lots about family & friends in Molena Point. Kit is a little too emotional & crazy for me at this stage- I wish the book would have focused more on Joe with a little more straightforward sleuthing. Feels like author is slowly bringing us back around to Catswold Portal.
Valerie
Still enjoying this author. This time the cats must track down the killer of a local philanthropist and former movie star and also protect a young girl from an overprotective father and a serial killer. It takes all three plus the help of their speaking human friends to find the happy ending.
Pat
I continue to love the furry detectives and the residents of Molena Point, CA. Each book introduces a new character or two and sometimes a new pet, but keeps most of the old familiar cast of characters. There is always at least one mystery in the works to solve, sometimes two or more.
Terry Miller
There's not a thing I don't like about these books.

I was very worried about how the kit was going to get out of his situation.

Lori was believable, and I was concerned about here.

A little less mystery to be solved, perhaps less action, but the characters really took form for me.
Phillis
I love these Joe Grey mysteries. Joe is a grey tux and his girlfriend is Dulcie a calico. They can talk and reason and help the local PD in solving the towns mysteries. Only a few people know that Joe and Dulcie can talk and none of them work at the police deptment.
Vicky
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
Brenda Jenkins Kleager
The is the most delightful cat mystery series yet. The fact that the cats communicate with each other and their humans lends a demension to the stories that all cat-lovers adore.
Lisa
I really liked this one. Definitely looking for another "Joe Grey" book next time I go back to the library.
Kim
Jul 07, 2011 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
This one got to me because it deals with the deaths of children at the hands of a serial killer.
Dorothy
After The Cat Who series,these cat books are my next favorite cat series.
Erin
I didn't like this one quite as well-it was a little creepy.
Helen
sweet old lady dies, fragile girl hides and is saved
Michele
Love Joe Grey, Dulcie and Kit!
Silvana Kasinski
Silvana Kasinski marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Dee
Dee added it
Dec 06, 2014
Jody Osborne
Jody Osborne marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • Cat in a Crimson Haze (Midnight Louie, #4)
  • Puss 'N Cahoots (Mrs. Murphy, #15)
  • The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
Shirley Murphy grew up in southern California, riding and showing the horses her father trained. She attended the San Francisco Art institute, and later worked as an interior designer while her husband attended USC. "When Pat finished school, I promptly quit my job and began to exhibit paintings and welded metal sculpture in the West Coast juried shows." Her work could also be seen in many traveli ...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...
Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey #1) The Catswold Portal Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey #2) Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey #3) Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey #4)