Start by marking “The Runaway Latkes” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Latkes

The Runaway Latkes

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
As Rebecca Bloom prepares for a Hanukkah party at the synagogue, three latkes jump right out of her frying pan. They head straight for the door, singing, "Big and round, crisp and brown, off we roll to see the town! And You can't catch us!"And so begins the chase. The sassy latkes roll out of the synagogue and through the town with Rebecca and a growing crowd in hot pursui ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Latkes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Latkes

Regina
Dec 04, 2013 Regina rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I try and expose my nieces to more than just our own culture, so this year along with our Kwanzaa and Christmas books, I included some Hanukkah tales into our library sack. My goal was to find books that would gently explain the holiday while also providing an interesting story that a four year old could follow. I found that with The Runaway Latkes.

Taking its cue from "The Gingerbread Man", Rebecca and her latkes were a funny and familiar tale. Just as she is preparing to plate her potato latkes
Christine Turner
Dec 03, 2012 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
As Rebecca Bloom prepares for a Hanukkah party at the synagogue, three latkes jump right out of her frying pan. They head straight for the door, singing, "Big and round, crisp and brown, off we roll to see the town! And You can''t catch us!" And so begins the chase. The sassy latkes roll out of the synagogue and through the town with Rebecca and a growing crowd in hot pursuit. Their travels come to an end at Applesauce River, where, by a modern-day Hanukkah miracle, the water actually turns into ...more
Elizabeth
This is a Hanukkah version of the Gingerbread Man story. I liked this book because it had a little history explaining the significance of Hanukkah before the story began. Additionally, there is a recipe for latkes in the back of the book.
Blair Herron
Oct 31, 2011 Blair Herron rated it liked it
Folktale Variant:
I really liked how they added in the Jewish traditions that went along with the holiday of Hanukkah. It would be a great book to read around Christmas time to add diversity and understanding of other religions and their traditions outside of the norm. They even give a recipe in the back of the book that the children can make latkes from.
Abi
Jan 11, 2012 Abi rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Bloom is making latkes for the first night of Hanukkah celebration. While doing so, three latkes jump out of the frying pan and send her, the rabbi, the cantor, and the mayor on a chase through their town. Latkes are representations of the typical food Jewish families eat on this holiday. Without latkes the celebration of Hanukkah is not the same.
Alexis Levine
Jan 10, 2012 Alexis Levine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exe-3601, jewish
Very cute rhyming book. The Runaway Latkes is a Jewish story that focuses on the traditions of Passover. It's cute because it can be read to all groups of children because it is very similar to the gingerbread man story.
Joanna
Dec 21, 2010 Joanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-with-salo
It's ok. My son wasn't willing to suspend disbelief for a talking potato pancake so 2 stars for this one.
Rachel
May 04, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Jewish multicultural; connections to traditional literature (Gingerbread boy). Ending is poor.
Kate Hastings
Jan 30, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pre-K to Grade 2
Shelves: hanukkah
Gingerbread man? I mean, latke?
Lindsay
Ally
Ally added it
Dec 18, 2015
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Taylor Baker-Gower
Taylor Baker-Gower rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
DLF
DLF marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Jennifer Berger
Jennifer Berger rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Jenni
Jenni rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Tiffany St.claire
Tiffany St.claire rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Gisela Millan
Gisela Millan marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Michael B.
Michael B. marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014