Portraits: Talking with Artists at the Met, the Modern, the Louvre and Elsewhere (Modern Library Paperbacks)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The chief art critic for "The New York Times" gives a painter's-, sculptor's-, and photographer's-eye view of art as he explores museums with some of today's most important artists. Photos throughout.
Published October 19th 1999 by Modern Library (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Portraits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portraits

Jesi Brubaker
Lovely book! I am seriously jealous of painters/artists. I'm jealous because they get to go to a building and look and learn. As a writer/poet I have no such place.
Here's what I wrote in my blog:

And while reading, I realized that as a poet, I'm lacking in my poetry education. I came to this realization while reading about how these artists go to art museums to view, and learn from the Masters. These Masters are mostly painters. And I found myself being jealous that these artists could just go...more
Edith
I gave up with Dead Boys (I have like 20 pages left but it bored me) and skipped to this.

I think they should force art history majors to read this or something like it in school. The author takes artists to the Met or other large msuems and they "shoot the shit"

I mean, actually reading what ARTISTS have to say about what they think is good art. It's very hard for to to say if someone who "doesn't know dick" about art would enjoy it - surely it is full of references , but the book is filled with...more
Liz
Jul 02, 2008 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who like contemporary art
Shelves: art
You're going back to the library, mister! I really loved Kimmelman's book _The Accidental Masterpiece_, but the essays in _Portraits_(brief interviews/sketches with various contemporary artists) are generally less substantive and less intriguing. If you're not so familiar with folks like Cindy Sherman and Chuck Close, this might be a good introduction.
Andy
It's a great concept, talking to artists (rather than critics, or dealers), about art. It's surprising it hasn't been done more often. With loads of useful illustrations (too bad they're in black and white, but if they were in color the thing would cost fifty bucks).
Claire
review for Portraits: Talking with Artists at the Met, the Modern, the Louvre, and Elsewhere:
Roger
Kimmelman writes so beautifully. I'm a big fan.
Lou
not as interesting as i thought it would be.
Lilian
Lilian is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Garman Herigstad
Garman Herigstad marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Leanne Glascott
Leanne Glascott marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Mlcrawley
Mlcrawley marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Bethany Eliason
Bethany Eliason marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Churmali
Churmali marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Anita Xu
Anita Xu is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2014
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Mike Oliver
Mike Oliver marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Roger Parent
Roger Parent marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Margherita
Margherita marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
New York Times architecture critic.
More about Michael Kimmelman...
The Accidental Masterpiece: On the Art of Life and Vice Versa Pen & ink More Things Like This Playing the Piano for Pleasure Playing Piano for Pleasure: The Classic Guide to Improving Skills Through Practice and Discipline