Start by marking “Portraits: Talking with Artists at the Met, the Modern, the Louvre and Elsewhere (Modern Library Paperbacks)” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The chief art critic for "The New York Times" gives a painter's-, sculptor's-, and photographer's-eye view of art as he explores museums with some of today's most important artists. Photos throughout.
Published October 19th 1999 by Modern Library (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Portraits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portraits

Jesi Brubaker
Mar 18, 2011 Jesi Brubaker rated it really liked it
Lovely book! I am seriously jealous of painters/artists. I'm jealous because they get to go to a building and look and learn. As a writer/poet I have no such place.
Here's what I wrote in my blog:

And while reading, I realized that as a poet, I'm lacking in my poetry education. I came to this realization while reading about how these artists go to art museums to view, and learn from the Masters. These Masters are mostly painters. And I found myself being jealous that these artists could just go
Edith
Apr 17, 2008 Edith rated it really liked it
I gave up with Dead Boys (I have like 20 pages left but it bored me) and skipped to this.

I think they should force art history majors to read this or something like it in school. The author takes artists to the Met or other large msuems and they "shoot the shit"

I mean, actually reading what ARTISTS have to say about what they think is good art. It's very hard for to to say if someone who "doesn't know dick" about art would enjoy it - surely it is full of references , but the book is filled with
Liz
Jul 02, 2008 Liz rated it liked it
Recommends it for: folks who like contemporary art
Shelves: art
You're going back to the library, mister! I really loved Kimmelman's book _The Accidental Masterpiece_, but the essays in _Portraits_(brief interviews/sketches with various contemporary artists) are generally less substantive and less intriguing. If you're not so familiar with folks like Cindy Sherman and Chuck Close, this might be a good introduction.
Andy
Jan 25, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing
It's a great concept, talking to artists (rather than critics, or dealers), about art. It's surprising it hasn't been done more often. With loads of useful illustrations (too bad they're in black and white, but if they were in color the thing would cost fifty bucks).
Claire
May 30, 2007 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review for Portraits: Talking with Artists at the Met, the Modern, the Louvre, and Elsewhere:
Roger
Dec 28, 2011 Roger rated it it was amazing
Kimmelman writes so beautifully. I'm a big fan.
Lou
Jan 25, 2008 Lou rated it liked it
Shelves: art-writing
not as interesting as i thought it would be.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Jessica Weller
Jessica Weller marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Judy Botsford
Judy Botsford rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Divya Gupta
Divya Gupta marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Xgsk
Xgsk marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Sle1784853
Sle1784853 marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Jac
Jac marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Bubai
Bubai marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
josephine keys
josephine keys marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Kara Lane
Kara Lane rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Lucas Pandolfo
Lucas Pandolfo marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Jade Haggarty
Jade Haggarty marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Deb cambria
Deb cambria rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Miranda Leung
Miranda Leung marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
New York Times architecture critic.
More about Michael Kimmelman...