Start by marking “Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture” as Want to Read:

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Edible Forest Gardens is a groundbreaking two-volume work that spells out and explores the key concepts of forest ecology and applies them to the needs of natural gardeners in temperate climates. Volume I lays out the vision of the forest garden and explains the basic ecological principles that make it work. In Volume II, Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier move on to practical ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1

Aaron
Aug 14, 2008 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gardeners, farmers, or those with an interest in sustainable agriculture
Volume 1 of this series of two textbooks describes the theory behind permaculture design in the temperate Northeastern United States. The implications of this kind of permaculture design are tremendous; applying them can result in self-fertilizing, soil building, low maintenance ecosystems where just about everything is edible. Once an initial inputs of fertilizer, soil amendments and biological cultures are applied, a mid-succession forest can establish itself in approximately four years.
This
Brooks
Feb 14, 2008 Brooks rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like forests and eating
greatest resource ever on farming the forest. integrating this with livestock is my current life mission. i love biological systems.
Lindu Pindu
It's a textbook. It's not fun. But it taught me a couple things. On to the practical side of things (Vol II)!
Matt Richads
Essential reading for anyone seriously considering a forest garden or food forest.
Jonah
there are two volumes, both great!
Darweech
ABSOLUTELY RECOMMENDED.

A book, that makes you want to write books, the quality of research, the objectiveness that is emerging from a real need to learn, instead of making clear facts that supports specific agendas. Asking most if not all of the questions needed about aboveground ecology, underground ecology, Plant's communal relationships and the development of ecosystems over time is just right. It's an intensive book, full of information...

A book that is eye opening and focus sharpening for a
jess
This book is essentially a text book that brings together forest ecology, sustainability and edible landscape design. There is a good overview of a lot of the biology and ecology of creating low-maintenance, self-sustaining gardens. I know Volume 2 has more design and practice, so I can't wait to read it. Volume 1 has a a handy list of the top 100 plants for an edible forest, sorted by each plant's best environment (upper canopy, mid-story, shrubs, vining groundcovers, etc) in addition to all th ...more
Chris
I got this book (and its companion volume Edible Forest Gardens: Ecological Design And Practice For Temperate-Climate Permaculture (Edible Forest Gardens)) for information about forest gardening in the north east. As I read it (and it's a surprisingly easy and enjoyable read for what is essentially a text book) I learned a huge amount about forest ecology.

These two volumes contain a wealth of theory and practical information.
Rodney
An excellent and thorough guide to the topic of Forest Gardening (FG). Lots of theory behind concepts of FG are presented and some practical examples are given. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume and redesigning my yard.
Marijan
This was really excellent book, as well as its sequel. The only reason I didn't give it maximum number of stars is it's north American focus. Wish someone wrote something like this centered on Europe.
Brian
I've just read and really enjoyed Volume I, Vision and Theory. It was not the re-hashing of drylands permaculture theory that I expected. I'm looking forward to Volume II.
Susan
This blew my mind. So many ideas, so much to think about, so incredibly densely packed with information. I think I'll be re-reading this for years before it all soaks in.
Josh
This book is really good. It is a very informative book and I feel like every page or so I learned something new. That said, the material can be a little dry at times.
Crystal-lee-m
Very good ideas for planning your own garden. Detailed sample plans and explanations about types of plants for different purposes in the garden/ecosystem.
Jessie
This book is really more like an ecology textbook that happens to pertain to forest gardens. If you know ecology, just skip to the second volume.
Julie O'toole
I loved the fact that this was long, read it cover to cover and will do so again.
Kim
Loaded with information, a great reference book to have in the library.
Amanda Wellman
Aug 04, 2009 Amanda Wellman is currently reading it
reads like a textbook, but fascinating information!
David Bilbrey
Articulate, Illuminating. Can wait to read more!
Eagle
Eagle marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
John
John marked it as to-read
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Alienbein
Alienbein marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Anna Gilbert
Anna Gilbert marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Chloe Lundine
Chloe Lundine marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Permaculture: A Designers' Manual
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
  • The One-Straw Revolution
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into Your Life And Landscape
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set Coppice Agroforestry: Perennial Silviculture for the 21st Century