Start by marking “Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture” as Want to Read:

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  424 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Edible Forest Gardens is a groundbreaking two-volume work that spells out and explores the key concepts of forest ecology and applies them to the needs of natural gardeners in temperate climates. Volume I lays out the vision of the forest garden and explains the basic ecological principles that make it work. In Volume II, Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier move on to practical ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1

The Humanure Handbook by Joseph C. JenkinsThe One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu FukuokaGaia's Garden by Toby HemenwayPermaculture by Bill MollisonEdible Forest Gardens, Volume 1 by Dave Jacke
The Best Permaculture Books Ever
5th out of 99 books — 75 voters
Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1 by Dave JackeEdible Forest Gardens, Volume 2 by Dave JackeHow to Make a Forest Garden by Patrick WhitefieldCreating a Forest Garden by Martin CrawfordPlants for a Future by Ken Fern
Best Forest Gardening Books
1st out of 13 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Aaron
Aug 14, 2008 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gardeners, farmers, or those with an interest in sustainable agriculture
Volume 1 of this series of two textbooks describes the theory behind permaculture design in the temperate Northeastern United States. The implications of this kind of permaculture design are tremendous; applying them can result in self-fertilizing, soil building, low maintenance ecosystems where just about everything is edible. Once an initial inputs of fertilizer, soil amendments and biological cultures are applied, a mid-succession forest can establish itself in approximately four years.
This
Brooks
Feb 14, 2008 Brooks rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like forests and eating
greatest resource ever on farming the forest. integrating this with livestock is my current life mission. i love biological systems.
Lindu Pindu
Apr 04, 2012 Lindu Pindu rated it liked it
It's a textbook. It's not fun. But it taught me a couple things. On to the practical side of things (Vol II)!
Matt Richads
May 20, 2016 Matt Richads rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone seriously considering a forest garden or food forest.
Jonah
Jan 16, 2008 Jonah rated it it was amazing
there are two volumes, both great!
John
Mar 24, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
What we have is no less than the beginning of an adventure, explicitly stated. That adventure is to see our habitats become habitats, restoring our dwellings to gardens in the shape of forests. The great pleasure of this adventure is that it can really be any of ours.

This book is the first of two volumes; between the two it is the considerably slighter by page count. With color illustrations, photographs, and watercolor touches, it also seems to be the prettier. Other comparisons will have to wa
Darweech
Mar 18, 2014 Darweech rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farming
ABSOLUTELY RECOMMENDED.

A book, that makes you want to write books, the quality of research, the objectiveness that is emerging from a real need to learn, instead of making clear facts that supports specific agendas. Asking most if not all of the questions needed about aboveground ecology, underground ecology, Plant's communal relationships and the development of ecosystems over time is just right. It's an intensive book, full of information...

A book that is eye opening and focus sharpening for a
jess
Mar 21, 2010 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, growing
This book is essentially a text book that brings together forest ecology, sustainability and edible landscape design. There is a good overview of a lot of the biology and ecology of creating low-maintenance, self-sustaining gardens. I know Volume 2 has more design and practice, so I can't wait to read it. Volume 1 has a a handy list of the top 100 plants for an edible forest, sorted by each plant's best environment (upper canopy, mid-story, shrubs, vining groundcovers, etc) in addition to all th ...more
David Koblos
Apr 28, 2016 David Koblos rated it really liked it
Highly detailed and theoretical, this book is by no means an easy reading, though the authors seemingly tried to avoid a lot of technical speech. Still, in order to learn and understand its information one should put these ideas into practice.
Nick Woodall
Good book. Chocked full of good ideas, especially on the case studies. Very, very technical in parts.
Chris
May 20, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
I got this book (and its companion volume Edible Forest Gardens: Ecological Design And Practice For Temperate-Climate Permaculture (Edible Forest Gardens)) for information about forest gardening in the north east. As I read it (and it's a surprisingly easy and enjoyable read for what is essentially a text book) I learned a huge amount about forest ecology.

These two volumes contain a wealth of theory and practical information.
Rodney
Oct 22, 2013 Rodney rated it really liked it
An excellent and thorough guide to the topic of Forest Gardening (FG). Lots of theory behind concepts of FG are presented and some practical examples are given. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume and redesigning my yard.
Marijan
Mar 15, 2013 Marijan rated it really liked it
This was really excellent book, as well as its sequel. The only reason I didn't give it maximum number of stars is it's north American focus. Wish someone wrote something like this centered on Europe.
Brian
Dec 05, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
I've just read and really enjoyed Volume I, Vision and Theory. It was not the re-hashing of drylands permaculture theory that I expected. I'm looking forward to Volume II.
Susan
Oct 28, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This blew my mind. So many ideas, so much to think about, so incredibly densely packed with information. I think I'll be re-reading this for years before it all soaks in.
Josh
Jun 10, 2012 Josh rated it liked it
This book is really good. It is a very informative book and I feel like every page or so I learned something new. That said, the material can be a little dry at times.
Crystal-lee-m
Feb 02, 2011 Crystal-lee-m rated it it was amazing
Very good ideas for planning your own garden. Detailed sample plans and explanations about types of plants for different purposes in the garden/ecosystem.
Marc Anderson
Feb 25, 2015 Marc Anderson rated it really liked it
Good introduction to the subject.
Jessie
Sep 06, 2014 Jessie rated it liked it
This book is really more like an ecology textbook that happens to pertain to forest gardens. If you know ecology, just skip to the second volume.
Julie O'toole
Nov 02, 2010 Julie O'toole rated it it was amazing
I loved the fact that this was long, read it cover to cover and will do so again.
Kim
Dec 12, 2007 Kim rated it really liked it
Loaded with information, a great reference book to have in the library.
Amanda Wellman
Aug 04, 2009 Amanda Wellman is currently reading it
reads like a textbook, but fascinating information!
David Bilbrey
Apr 03, 2014 David Bilbrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Articulate, Illuminating. Can wait to read more!
Joan
Nov 24, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece. THE masterpiece.
Christopher Taylor
Christopher Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Tracy Smith
Tracy Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Seth
Seth rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Roman
Roman marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Franco Ponticelli
Franco Ponticelli rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Allie Van
Allie Van is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2016
Really flourish in their environment 1 1 Apr 23, 2015 02:45AM
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Permaculture: A Designers' Manual
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • The Resilient Homestead: Innovative Permaculture Systems for the Home and Farm--Based on Research and Development in Earthworks, Perennial Crops, Cold-Climate Rice Production, and Nutrient-Dense Food/Medicine from the Whole Systems Research Farm
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Permaculture in a Nutshell
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into Your Life And Landscape
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times