Start by marking “Earth User's Guide to Permaculture” as Want to Read:
Earth User's Guide to Permaculture

Earth User's Guide to Permaculture

Included in the text is an overview of the bromeliad family, where to procure plants, helpful tips on how to grow the most popular species, ten new bromeliads are described, as well as details about biology, propagation, hybridisation and new chemical treatments for bromeliads. The language is clear and concise, and an extensive glossary is included.
Published January 1st 2007 by Kangaroo Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Earth User's Guide to Permaculture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth User's Guide to Permaculture

The Humanure Handbook by Joseph C. JenkinsThe One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu FukuokaGaia's Garden by Toby HemenwayPermaculture by Bill MollisonEdible Forest Gardens, Volume 1 by Dave Jacke
The Best Permaculture Books Ever
27th out of 99 books — 77 voters
Reclaim by Carl GripGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondCollapse by Jared DiamondSwitch by Chip HeathNocturne, Opus 1 by Norene Moskalski
Top Books from the Green Group
31st out of 48 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat
Dec 20, 2012 Kat rated it it was ok
Shelves: so-bad-i-gave-up
I feel somewhat unfair giving this book such a bad review, but I can only comment on my experience with it. I found it to be a curious mix of immense condescension, airy-fairy nonsense and unapproachable pseudo-science. I wanted to be absorbed, transformed and finish converted to the Way of Permaculture. Instead I feel even more alienated than I did before picking it up. The cutesy illustrations and the meditations masquerading as "homework" exercises, interspersed between dense blocks of wander ...more
Patricia
Aug 11, 2009 Patricia rated it liked it
A bit too much information for the potential permaculturalist with a back yard instead of a back 40, but very thorough and clear in its teachings. The author is Australian, which means that many of the species she uses for examples are not really ones I as an Oregonian would choose, but it's fun to hear her discuss how planting this or that plant will encourage the kangaroos and the wallabies.
Trent Wiewel
Feb 06, 2015 Trent Wiewel rated it did not like it
a disturbingly dumbed down version of Bill Mollison's Introduction to Permaculture. If i had read this book first, i would give it another star.... It has some good information despite it seemingly written for 10 year olds.

Full of unneeded repetitions, especially in the bulleted main points at the beginning of each chapter. They made me cringe. maybe also due to the vagueness of the statements.

There are some gems here and there that are not in Bill's book, but those can easily be obtained on
Carol
May 21, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to understand, informative and useful.
Mine was a second-hand copy picked up in a used book store, so for the price, in comparison to purchasing Bill Mollinson's manual, a reasonable, budget priced introduction.
The keyword being introduction. If you are looking for an indepth textbook, this is not the book for you. It is written for the Australian environment, so overseas readers may not understand some of the idiosyncrasies. I enjoyed it.
Rosewendy
Fantastic! A wonderful introduction to permaculture. Easy to follow ways of looking at your own space with a view to designing a management plan that will bring you closer to living sustainably with nature in your area.
Adam Shand
Feb 29, 2012 Adam Shand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: permaculture
This is the best introduction to the concepts and practice of permaculture that I've found. The writing is clear and easy to understand, there are lots of pictures and diagrams to illustrate the concepts which are being taught and each chapter ends with exercises you can work through on your own to develop the relevant skills.

I read it in a single afternoon, but it's actually designed to be a guide through which you slowly work through as you refine and develop the interactions and design of a
Lisa
May 09, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
A really helpful, hands-on book/workbook about the principles of permaculture. The author is Australian, so there is the occasional reference to plants/animals specific to her region that wouldn't be applicable in a North American setting. This only made the book more engaging for me, as the thought of having to plant things that would deter kangaroo damage was unexplainably entertaining to me. Really solid introduction to permaculture principles, with concrete action steps laid out.
Sara McDonald
Aug 16, 2014 Sara McDonald rated it it was ok
Shelves: homesteading
I read this book as part of my permaculture design course. The layout is like a textbook. I didn't mind the tone of the book as much as some other reviewers, but it wasn't as compelling as the books by Bill Mollison, David Holmgren and Toby Hemenway. Overall, the information presented was valid and helpful, so that bolsters my review a bit. I did find this book encouraging, but it's not a book I would have sought out to read on my own.
Sel
May 24, 2011 Sel is currently reading it
this book is a great resource for teachers to use for agriculture lessons. It has lots of great information on easy to follow instructions on setting up a permaculture system.the contents page tells me that the book shows how to start a permaculture garden and then tells what the themes are related to permaculture and then how to apply the principles to your everyday gardening experience.
Brekke
Mar 06, 2016 Brekke added it
Reading this book for my permaculture course. It's not the one I would have picked myself and after the first chapter I'm already a little hesitant about how it's going to go... :-( I hear great things about the class though, so at least on that I'm confident I'll walk away having learned bunches!
Cheri
Jul 17, 2009 Cheri rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic overview of the philosophy of permaculture, not a reference book. Reads like a school text, with lots of ways you can implement the ideas.

I was disappointed that it didn't get more specific on how to plant. But if you're new to the idea of permaculture, it's a great starting point.
Terri
Feb 17, 2009 Terri rated it really liked it
Reading this in preparation for permaculture group discussions in my community - the world would be a better place if everyone ate food from their backyard!!
Johanna
Nov 30, 2011 Johanna is currently reading it
A very accessible resource and introduction to Permaculture. I got about half-way through. When I own land again, I'll probably pick it back up and finish it!
Victoria
Sep 01, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to reduce your ecological footprint? Then this is the right book. Full of practical suggestions, easy to understand but with depth.
Nico Our Lady of the Sacred Bonechuck
It is a very good introduction to permaculture. Covers important topics without getting deep.
Michelle
Nov 25, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
It's good, but doesn't really stand apart from any other permaculture book out there...
Ellen Yarnell
Dec 27, 2014 Ellen Yarnell rated it really liked it
This book is a great introduction to permaculture, very inspiring.
Tim McGilchrist
Jul 24, 2013 Tim McGilchrist rated it really liked it
Awesome book.
I'll be using it as a reference for years to come.
April
April marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Delaney
Delaney marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Audacia Ray
Audacia Ray is currently reading it
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Doris Arondel
Doris Arondel marked it as to-read
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Simon Cozzens
Simon Cozzens is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2016
Casseroll
Casseroll marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Aaron Bartsch
Aaron Bartsch marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
patricia masters
patricia masters rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
mgsplt
mgsplt marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
  • Introduction to Permaculture
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • How to Make a Forest Garden
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving, 2nd Edition
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Natural Way of Farming: The Theory and Practice of Green Philosophy
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times