Permaculture: A Designers' Manual

Permaculture: A Designers' Manual

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  822 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Permaculture (permanent agriculture) is the conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems. It is the harmonious integration of landscape and people providing their food, energy, shelter, and other material and non-material needs in a sustainable way. Without permanent agric...more
Published December 1st 1988 by Tagari Publications (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Permaculture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Permaculture

Silent Spring by Rachel CarsonA Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo LeopoldThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Lorax by Dr. SeussDesert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
Best Environmental Books
20th out of 502 books — 558 voters
The Humanure Handbook by Joseph C. JenkinsThe One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu FukuokaGaia's Garden by Toby HemenwayPermaculture by Bill MollisonEdible Forest Gardens, Volume 1 by Dave Jacke
The Best Permaculture Books Ever
4th out of 98 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Wayne
Everything you ever wanted to know about Permaculture but didn't have a week to hear the explanation. Check this out at the library. The damned thing costs somewhere around eighty bucks. It's very good, but not that good.

Readers who have become isolated from nature will feel as though they've been hit upside the head with this five pound hardcover. Mollison teaches us that working with nature means learning to see frugality as beautiful. Don't just water your plants, plant them so the water poo...more
Viola
“The greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this, there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food and shelter.”
― Bill Mollison
Tom Winkler
I've read this whole thing now, it took one year. All I can say is that this is all damn good common sense and this book is the real foundation work articulating Permaculture design. It is a masterpiece.

We can conciously design our future reality, one that works and provides for us much better than we're currently heading for. We can look at it this way on any scale. Its about how we can learn to make gardens superseed most of 'primary industry' as modern idustrial agriculture meets its inevitab...more
David
just found this! woo hoo. this is one of the books that will make you say holy shit why am i working for the man when i could be living. you know. just living. and enjoying and watching the clouds come by and seeing how everything is completely connected and feeling that connection.
Monica
This has got to be the "bible" of permaculture books. It is quite thorough, filled with diagrams and examples. It is a book that is not only about learning to garden by imitating the strengths observed in nature, but it is also about a philosophy of life that I find attractive in many ways. Ultimately, I think we are all going to have to chose to live in either a permaculture-partnership world, or in a command-and-control/new feudalism world. I'm for permaculture-partnership.
Greg Jalbert
Authoritative and encyclopedic, well illustrated, this fascinating and useful book is what we need to move forward out of the wretched mess of unsustainable industrialization and the robotic behavior it causes in society. It details permanent sustainable agriculture techniques for a huge range of bioregional situations of flora, climate, landforms, precipitation, and other elements of nature.
Dan
Worked through this book as part of a PDC course with Geoff Lawton. Permaculture is changing the world from the ground up(literally), and this book changed how I view the world. The final chapter on building an alternative nation is amazing.
Woody Debris
what have i learned from this book? the only things worth knowing...
Melanie
Even if you're not a gardener, if you work with systems at all (and if you're living, you do), this is THE book on how they work and how to be an effective part. And while you're applying the contents metaphorically, you'll be learning all about how the planet you live on operates. Welcome to Earth!
Jack Stephens
Read this to experience a profound shift in perspective, from consumer to producer. Many new books have been written on the subject, but this one is still considered the foundation of the philosophy and practice of permaculture.
Leabelle
There is a lot of practical wisdom in this book for a variety of geographical and climatic locations. Some of Mollison's systems are pure practical genius.
Paul
The manual on permaculture. Mollison's opus reads like a spiritual textbook for the secular humanist. Drawings alone are worth the hefty price tag.
Julien
I've only read a couple chapters so far, but this book is amazing. It could become my bible.
Mwalkes
This book could literally change the world we live in if more people read it and implemented these simple concepts. The author's far-reaching observations, insight and research is humbling.
Paul
Literally a paradigm shift in thinking away from the 2000 year old agrian model of agriculture.
Chris
May 20, 2008 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gardeners, farmers, ecologists, planners, and politicians
a.k.a. The Permaculture Bible

This is not light reading by any means - definitely more of a text book than a sit-down-and-read-it book. It's jam packed with information and ideas.

I thin most everyone should read about permaculture, but this isn't the book to introduce them to the idea.
Rook
This book is filled with great ideas and keen observations. The writing is encyclopedic in style and the editing is poor. Despite the good content, this book is only for dedicated farmers, gardeners, environmentalists, and thinkers.
Kelda
Honestly? Bill is just a rambler with a lot of big ideas. There's much better books on the topic out there that will actually inform the reader and make them feel smart, not stupid. It does have a lot of rad pictures though.
Adam
Extremely thorough and informative book. In fact, I couldn't even get through the whole thing because it was so incredibly detailed. I will have to check it out again sometime when I have more time to peruse through it.
Kerry
Read this many years ago when living in Tasmania> The "Bible" of the permaculture revolution, as it was known then. Great book with some terrific ideas about the way we grow our food and design our natural living space.
Matthew
Sexy! The best, most complete, most hard to come by (and often expensive) manual on permaculture by the homnid who made it happen.
David Koblos
A very thorough introduction to Permaculture, with many many facts that one will have to come back to as the design is set up.
Colin Brennan
Awesome and world changing in scope. A large tome covering and explaining the concept and practical applications of permaculture
M D
Self maintaing gardens that provide natures bounty and are environmentally balanced, what could be better than that?
Derucie
Every human being should read this!

Semua manusia wajib baca buku ini!
captain america
mollison is a crusty cantankerous curmudgeon. he's great.
Karen
learning about how this relates to where I live
Marie
One of the best books on permaculture: a classic.
Jami
Dense reading, some over my head. I admire this man's work and vision.
Jill
Fantastic resource.
  • Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • The One-Straw Revolution
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into Your Life And Landscape
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard into a Garden and Your Neighborhood into a Community
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
Founder and director of the Permaculture Institute, Bill is the most experienced Permaculture teacher and designer today. He has taught and developed projects from the Arctic through Sub-tropics and Equatorial regions of the planet. There are few countries left in the world where he has not personally planted the seeds of Permaculture. The Peoples of the Pacific, South East Asia, South Africa and...more
More about Bill Mollison...
Introduction to Permaculture Permaculture Two: Practical Design for Town and Country in Permanent Agriculture Permaculture One The Permaculture Book Of Ferment And Human Nutrition Permaculture: A Practical Guide for a Substainable Future