Start by marking “Notes from Underground & Scenes from the New World” as Want to Read:
Notes from Underground & Scenes from the New World
Preview

Notes from Underground & Scenes from the New World

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Back-in-print early work by the author of subUrbia and Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll.
Published November 1st 1997 by Theatre Communications Group (first published 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from Underground & Scenes from the New World

Bad-at-reading
Notes From Underground, written as a series of diary entries by a loner driven to anti-social and criminal behavior by the anxieties and pressures of urban life, does itself no favors by naming itself after (and retreading the form and theme of) the classic Dostoyevsky novella. Juvenile and trashy, its merit is about on par with a spooky campfire story and provokes a similar response of rolled eyes and groans.

Scenes from the New World, a play, is similarly dour. Bogosian has an ear for dialogue
Theodora
Dec 23, 2007 Theodora rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like Chuck Palahniuk.
I read this while I was in the hospital over the summer. It's in journal form and it tells the story of a man's gradual decent into madness through his various awkward observations and socially deviant behavior. Entertaining, but not groundbreaking.
Tara Lynn
I read this for the first time as an accent piece to a study of adolescent pyschology back in high school. I remember thinking that it had the feel of Chuck Palahnuik meets Holden Caufield meets One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest.
Gina
Aug 24, 2009 Gina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
"Notes From Underground" is a mock diary written in the early 1980s.
However, the second half of my copy contained the play "Scenes From the New World" which I think I enjoyed more.
Heather Colacurcio
Not one of my favorites from Bogosian. I'm usually quite impressed with his plays, but "Notes From Underground" is lacking. Okay, but not as clever as his other work.
Joseph
Nothing better than a book about cheetoes and masturbation
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
TC Tucker
TC Tucker marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Ron Shoppee
Ron Shoppee marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Milantropio
Milantropio marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Jay
Jay added it
Sep 25, 2014
Kicking_k
Kicking_k marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Summerdale
Summerdale marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Chad Hall
Chad Hall marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Pavel
Pavel marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
H
H marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Eric Bogosian (born April 24, 1953) is an American actor, playwright, monologist, and novelist.

-Wikipedia
More about Eric Bogosian...
Talk Radio subUrbia Mall Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll The Essential Bogosian: Talk Radio / Drinking in America / Funhouse / Men Inside