Home Work: Handbuilt Shelter

Home Work: Handbuilt Shelter

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Master builder Louie Frazier's Japanese-style pole house in Northern California, reachable on a 500" cable across a river / Ian MacLeod's handbuilt stone house in South Africa, where baboons jump on the roof at night / Ma Page's bottle house in the Nevada desert / artist Michael Kahn's semi-subterranean sculptural ivillage in Arizona / Bill and Athena Steen's strawbale hou...more
Published April 20th 2004 by Shelter Publications (first published January 1st 2004)

Trane
Nov 12, 2008 Trane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homebuilders, alternative lifestylers, anarchists, hippies, everyone else too
Home Work is the followup to Shelter, Lloyd Kahn's influential 1973 guide to alternative living and DIY homebuilding. In Shelter Kahn advocated a return to the hand-built house, emphasizing traditional building methods over the high-tech solutions that had been advocated throughout the 40s, 50s, and 60s (culminating in the dome house, a form that he initially helped to pioneer, but eventually rejected).

Home Work covers a lot of the same territory as Shelter did, but unlike Shelter is full of bea...more
Maddy
A book you can dip in and out of for inspiration.

Hundreds of wonderful colour pictures displaying the ingenious diversity of home made shelters. All sorts of different soulful and creative approaches to Cabins • Cottages • Bungalows • Homesteads • Sheds • Shacks • Huts • Treehouses •Bottle Houses • Yurts • Hogans • Tipis • Tents • Beach Shacks • Stilt Houses • Greenhouses • Small House Designs • Domes • Zomes • Fantasy Houses • Gypsy Wagons • Workspaces • Barns • Shops • Mississippi Shotgun Shac...more
Brian
Great book for home-bilding inspiration, with some genuinely useful schematic drawings of joints and support structures. I bought this as part of my overall "Living Cheaply and Getting Away With It" approach to navigating post-industrial capitalist society, intent as I am on building my own damn house instead of going into debt for 20-30 years in order to have one. After reading this book, I'm thinking some combination of yurt/ger and fibercrete "earth house" will do just fine...
Paul
Fascinating like all of Lloyd Kahn's books. It's reinvigorated my urge to build a place of my own especially when I look up from the pages of the book to see my own dreadful Barratt built home.
christina
I have thumbed through this book at bookstores and it is exceptional.

I can not recommend this or his first book "Shelter" enough, if you are interested in ever fashioning your own dwelling, whether through building or modifying it is an inspiration.
Jessica
Not as useful as the previous Lloyd Kahn book I read, but still inspirational. Also, there were a few great floor plans I could see actually building. Mostly nice pictures here, and not so much how to do it.
Alice
This book is full of inspiration for all those crazy houses/space stations I designed in my youth, with good dose of sustainability and self sufficiency on the side. Totally worth looking at.
Jenessa
Sep 26, 2007 Jenessa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
this book is pretty amazing. hermit huts, hippie shelters, treehouses, eccentric dwellings of all kinds - inspiring for anyone who lives or would like to live in something other than a regular box.
Jon Stoski
Lots and lots of ideas, packed closely together amidst a sea of pictures from all over. Full of original ideas. Great inspirational reading for creative builders.
Jack Stephens
Such beautiful photos of inspiring buildings it's hard to finish before jumping out of your seat to start building your own natural home!
Mykle
Totally inspiring and beautiful, but somehow a lot less brain-changing that the original "Shelter", a book to which I regularly return.
Jeff
Inspiration for house designs in nontraditional forms. It has helped me imagine the earthbag dome I am now constructing.
Denice
A fascinating study of hand-built homes with a terrific balance of beautiful photos and written profiles and descriptions.
Matthew
lots of ideas for untraditional housing, especially environmentally sustainable designs. Great pictures not much text.
Emily Mellow
Purely a pictures book for me, I feel bad rating a book I never read, but it does have great pictures!
Ben Orcutt
a fantastic compilation of photos and stories that will make anyone want to build their own home.
Christine Cato
I want to live inside this book. I do not however think stone masoning in the nude is a great idea.
Nora
Really a lovely picture-book. Not too deep on content, but inspiring nonetheless.
Karen
Apr 21, 2012 Karen added it
Ahh, very cool photos of hand built, arty, funky buildings. Love, love, love it!
Honey
I am constantly picking this book up and dreaming of my treehouse. Sigh..one day.
Tami
fascinating....it's so interesting to see how others live. I really enjoyed it!
Jackie Harrison-jewell
Loved the pictures. Great for anyone interested in hand built architecture.
James Moes
A home is even more a home when it is built with your own two hands.
Gea
Aug 07, 2007 Gea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every coffee table in the world
AMAZING homes, shelters, designs. Super pictures and stories.
Traveller
If only building were this simple in the UK
Marc
the sequel to shelter, and just as good...
Aimee
This book fuels my back to the land fantasies.
Tatjana
Tatjana marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into Your Life And Landscape
  • The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-To-Basics Guide
  • Permaculture: A Designers' Manual
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Radical Simplicity
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter Shelter Builders of the Pacific Coast The Septic System Owner's Manual Shelter II