Start by marking “Green Is the New Black: How to Change the World with Style” as Want to Read:
Green Is the New Black: How to Change the World with Style

Green Is the New Black: How to Change the World with Style

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
For girls who care about global warming and next season's hot looks, Green is the New Black is a must-have accessory.

Does our shopping addiction contribute to climate change? What's so special about organic cotton? Who are the real fashion victims behind $5 jeans?

From green carpet glamour to ethical bling, slow and low travel to the joys of swap parties, Blanchard explains
Published November 4th 2008 by William Morrow (first published June 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Green Is the New Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Is the New Black

Mich
May 30, 2016 Mich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it spurred some ideas and gave tips on how to incorporate the 'green' into everyone's everyday fashion, the book, for me, fell short as it only mostly featured shops & websites that catered to the Brit eco-chic. I was hoping to see suggestions of brands/organizations/individuals from all over the world (citing the fact that she's traveled to different parts of the world to do fashion shoots). And some of the tips have already been done before. I was hoping to learn more than what I' ...more
Michelle De Guzman
Jul 27, 2011 Michelle De Guzman rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fashionistas with great desire to be eco-chic.
Bess
Oct 14, 2008 Bess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book originates in the UK circa. 2007 and was just brought over to American readers 100% as-is, so many of the references and resources are largely useless (.co.uk web sites, where to find quality knickers and how to recycle your old trainers, etc.) A huge turnoff for me is the suggestion early on that it's worth it for gals to save up all their lives to be put on the waiting list for a multi-thousand dollar designer bag because the things really do last forever, when meanwhile, I have hand ...more
Ulrich
Mar 06, 2016 Ulrich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort of a British pre-etsy eco shopping guide.

More of a curiosity than truly useful.

Cute writing.

I bookmarked be sweet productions on her recommendation. The yarn does look very nice.

I glossed over most of her recommendations though because I assume they are outdated and all the local stuff she mentions is, of course, across the pond from me.

It did remind me that I need to start DIY-ing again. So that was nice.
Sarah Potter
This is a really useful reference book about ethical shopping and tips on how to make and mend the existing items of your wardrobe. Sometimes I felt that the writer and a few of the contributors to this book came from a position of privilege, from which they could prescribe how the poorer amongst us should consider the even poorer in our choices. I felt an affinity with the idea of shopping in and donating to charity shops, but had some difficulty with imagining myself investing in a brand new, ...more
Devika
Mar 18, 2016 Devika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Written like a long Vogue article, this book is quite informative about sustainability and its lesser known aspects. A fairly quick read with some handy DIY tips for clothing, jewellery, and body products.

The writing can seem a little repetitive and drab at times, but regardless would recommend it to anyone trying to get an overarching picture of the sustainable lifestyle space.
Phyllis
Most of the advice in here that's financially feasible for me I already do, and the rest is sort of ridiculously idealized, expensive planet of the fashion and beauty editors type nonsense that only people with a lot of time and a lot of money are going to be feeling. AND YET, for some reason this book has a soothing effect on me not unlike the stress-reducing and calming properties of the classic works of original recipe Heloise. Every time I try to get rid of it because there really isn't a lo ...more
Melissa
Sep 24, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of tips for making your shopping footprint smaller. If you are crafty or a shopaholic this book will be useful for you.

I found many of this books suggestions useful, but many require sewing skills or money. Neither of which I have a lot of. However, there are sewing patterns, recipes for environmentally friendly body care, recipes for food and jewelry ideas.

The art is lovely inside the book. And the book has black and green ink throughout it. There are 11 chapters. This book is
Saya Hashimoto
Good idea (exposing the wastefulness of the fashion industry and suggesting alternatives) but the execution...magazine-y and throwaway. Probably the intention as it's probably aimed at the High Street multitudes but it's a bit thin somehow.
Elin
Dec 18, 2011 Elin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4* because there's some really good tips in it. I also got to know a lot of stuff about fashion and the environment, and I marked several of the pages as usable help for making or re-making my own clothes.
Saar
Feb 03, 2008 Saar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: organic girls
This is the best book a eco-friendly but hip^girl needs!
It's packed with tips for ecoclothing, travelling, hobbys, clubbing, buying, whatever!
I plan on a Belgian version!
And it will rock!
Eryn
Though I don't consider myself a fashionista, this was a fun book to read. It made you think twice about going out and buying all that cute stuff you see hanging in the shop windows.
Fran
Mar 25, 2012 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great way to open your mind to the truth behind major fashion chains and labels! Gets your thinking, and offers some great alternatives, although mainly in the UK.
Kari
Jan 12, 2009 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for the "green" fashionista. Love the list of links to green sites, and the book includes a wonderful shopping directory.
Trish
Nov 10, 2013 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion-beauty, 2013
This book was alright. I feel guilty and depressed after reading this. There were some interesting facts in here though.
Roisin
Aug 15, 2009 Roisin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it. really opened my eyes and had brilliant websites in the little green book...
Anne Hoffman
Sep 26, 2012 Anne Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fun read about two of my favorite subjects: the environment & fashion
Ladybug1399
Jan 01, 2009 Ladybug1399 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got this one for christmas too, cant wait to start this one!!
Stuti gulati
Stuti gulati marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Bhuvan Kalra
Bhuvan Kalra marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Diana Nagy
Diana Nagy marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Valérie Paradiso
Valérie Paradiso marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Anna Spielberg
Anna Spielberg marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Shireen & Perse
Shireen & Perse marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Jenniffer Davies
Jenniffer Davies rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2016
Tuula
Tuula added it
Mar 12, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Sara Snow's Fresh Living: The Essential Room-by-Room Guide to a Greener, Healthier Family and Home
  • The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living
  • Confessions of an Eco-Sinner: Tracking Down the Sources of My Stuff
  • How to Set Up and Run a Fashion Label
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • The Fashion Designer Survival Guide: Start and Run Your Own Fashion Business
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • Grow Your Own Veg (Rhs)
  • Two Is Lonely (Jane Graham, #3)
  • The Edible Garden
  • Stand by Your Man
  • Wij zijn maar wij zijn niet geschift
  • The Dressmaker's Technique Bible: A Complete Guide to Fashion Sewing