Start by marking “La Llorona/The Weeping Woman: An Hispanic Legend Told in Spanish and English” as Want to Read:
La Llorona/The Weeping Woman: An Hispanic Legend Told in Spanish and English

La Llorona/The Weeping Woman: An Hispanic Legend Told in Spanish and English

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  15 reviews
La Llorona (yoh-RROH-nah), now available for the first time in a full-color paperback, is the ghost story to end all ghost stories and truly the most popular cuento of Hispanic America. This story of the weeping woman appears at first to be only a frightening tale filled with mysterious events which cause children to sit wide-eyed. Yet it’s the simple, universal wisdom at ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Cinco Puntos Press (first published November 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about La Llorona/The Weeping Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Llorona/The Weeping Woman

I am now in my Mid twenties. I can still remember most of his story's and they what he tells them. I first heard this story in my 3rd grade class. It is a fantastic scary story. I love Joe Hayes. I would highly recommend listening to any of his stories on tape he tells him so well!
bookaday #54. A few years ago I heard Joe Hayes tell this story at a library conference. As I read the words, I can hear his fantastic voice, in both English of Spanish. Author's note tells the history behind the well known tale.
Austin Wright
A clever bilingual book about the crying woman of Latin America. Quite dark!
Kimberly Nunez
Oh my god!,can you believe la llorona kill he own children,yep she did.In this story is about a young lady (maria)who dreams with a perfect man in her life.Later like 3 weeks i dont remember how many pass but then she have 2 children.One is a boy and the other one is a girl.Maria husband have to work but when he come back home he only visited his children,maria so jealous and anger she go to the river with her children and she put them under water.Days pass maria be came a gost and she is saying ...more
6. Personal Response: This story is upsetting, but I like how upsetting stories are told as morals for young people. We don’t always need to protect our children from ugly stories, especially when they are meant to teach a lesson or keep children safe. The United States is very prudish about this sort of thing.[return]7. Connections: Legends of other countries, bilingual book unit, etc. I like to go through the English and Spanish texts together and pick out cognates and find new vocabulary. Thi ...more
this is so cool thanks
Meredith Miner
My students all love the mystery of La Llorona, but I (and most of them) don't know anything about the traditional story. This version is written by Joe Hayes, an author I really like. For these reasons I bought this book on our trip to Bookies. The story turns out to be, in my opinion, a little inappropriate, as the woman drowns her children and then kills herself. So, I am not sure that I would use it in my class.
Barbara Lovejoy
I love books by Joe Hayes! This is another book I bought with money donated by two Esperanza Board members for our Esperanza School Library. It would be great to have a number of versions of this story by different authors in our library.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A sad and creepy story told in Spanish and English. I could swear I've read this story or something similar somewhere else, but I can't remember where. Must investigate... Recommended!
Clarissa Olivarez
An excellent re-telling of the folk-legend in a text that is both accessible and well-written for adolescents and younger children.
The 7-to-9-year-old crowd I read it to assured me that it wasn't too scary.
Aleisha Claytor
i read this book in the 4th grade. it was good
Una version bilingue e interesante
Carlos marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Natascha Bunner
Natascha Bunner marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Lesly Perez
Lesly Perez marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Victoria marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Cynthia Deleon
Cynthia Deleon marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Lindsay P
Lindsay P marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
B Velasquez
B Velasquez marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Designated New Mexico Eminent Scholar by the New Mexico Commission on Higher Learning (1979).

Joe was the youngest of five children. His father loved to tell stories. The family moved to Arizona where Joe learned to speak Spanish which became an integral part of his storytelling and writing.

In 1979, he began to devote himself full time to sharing stories. He focuses on elementary school audiences
More about Joe Hayes...