Start by marking “My Body Is Private” as Want to Read:
My Body Is Private

My Body Is Private

A mother-child conversation introduces the topic of sexual abuse and ways to keep one's body private.
Published January 1st 1984 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about My Body Is Private, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Body Is Private

Carrie
Jun 12, 2010 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: counseling, kids
I think this book is great for sexual abuse prevention. It doesn't just jump into talking about sexual touching, but eases into it, which will probably make both kids and parents more comfortable talking about this issue.
Kat
So many children's books trying to address the issue of molestation/sexual abuse are all about "stranger danger" with seedy men offering children candy or asking for help to find their dog. Stranger danger culture has made our society one filled with terror - no adult, especially male, has the option to help a child the see who might be lost or in danger for fear of having their life ruined by the mere impression that he might have the opportunity to sexually assault a child. I see that culture ...more
Kris Odahowski
Sep 01, 2014 Kris Odahowski rated it really liked it
This book provides a frank narrative for families, who want to begin a dialog on protecting oneself from abuse and standing up to a abuser with a trusting adult. In this story the main character does not face abuse but physical closeness from a brother and Uncle that she finds uncomfortable. Her parents tell her to always tell someone if someone touches her on her private parts. Read this on an android phone book is in the Libraries ebook collection.
Angela
Jan 28, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I'll be getting a copy. I like how she talks about unwanted tickling as well as inappropriate sexual contact. The book starts by talking about privacy (her own room, her mail, etc) and then her body. Parts that are harder to work into a story are presented as dialogue between Julie and her mother. The book is not scary in any way - the mom says it probably won't happen, but Julie needs to know what to do just in case, like how she knows what to do if there is a fire.
Jae
May 03, 2015 Jae rated it liked it
A useful book about body privacy, autonomy/consent, good touching, and bad touching. The illustrations are unfortunate. It would be worth it to release a new edition with updated resources at the back and more attractive illustrations.
Cindy
May 20, 2016 Cindy added it
Excellent book.
HeavyReader
I got this book for free after the Spring 2009 Friends of the Library book sale.

The writing is a bit heavy handed, but I guess it's not easy to come up with a light-hearted romp about kids protecting themselves from sexual abuse.

I like that the main character in this book gets her privacy and that her dad tells her big brother that in their family no means no, even when it comes to tickle fights. (I wish someone had told my dad he had to stop tickling me when I didn't like it.)
Sarah Davis
May 09, 2012 Sarah Davis rated it it was amazing
This book is broken into two parts. the first part is a short version of Julie's story and how her body is private and who can touch her and about nice touches. this first part is good for preschoolers if they aare being taught about their bodies. The second part takes the first part and adds more to the story and goes into more depth. This part of the book is great for elementry grades when teaching about the body and private areas.
Stella
Apr 25, 2015 Stella rated it liked it
This is a great text to aid in teaching children about keeping their bodies private, however, I do wish a newer version could be published. The pictures reflect the publishing date of 1984, and I think if it were more current, it would be more interesting to students. Overall, this is an excellent resource for helping to prevent childhood sexual abuse.
Jill
Apr 09, 2008 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool
This is a great book to introduce privacy and the responsibility each child has to keep their bodies private, showing the reader other things that are private (bedrooms that say keep out, etc.) - but not disturbing to the point where children would be afraid of any and every touch or suspicious of everyone.
lily
Apr 09, 2008 lily rated it really liked it
I learned that you have to keep your body private and it's okay to tell people you don't like it when they touch you. And to always tell your parents if someone touches you in private spots, and even the doctor has to ask you first.
Cana
Oct 10, 2009 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says; A good book about keeping your body private that does not freak out your kid with scary what-ifs.
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this is a great book and i recommend it to everyone
Renee
Sep 13, 2016 Renee rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Out of date, but still delivers perfectly.
Redscarletto
Redscarletto rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Claudette Cohen
Claudette Cohen rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Soli
Soli added it
Aug 31, 2016
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Leang Ngov
Leang Ngov marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Katie Mansfield
Katie Mansfield marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Mom
Mom marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Barkshire Woods
Barkshire Woods rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Jennifer OConnell
Jennifer OConnell rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016