Start by marking “Cannonball!” as Want to Read:
Cannonball!

Cannonball!

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This first book of its kind tells the behind-the-scenes story of the incredibly illegal Cannonball rally. This best seller is now available in paperback!In the early 1970s, Brock Yates, senior editor of Car and Driver Magazine, created the now infamous Cannonball Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash; a flat out, no-holds-barred race from New York City to Redondo Beach, ...more
Published October 12th 2003 by Motorbooks (first published October 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cannonball!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cannonball!

Mark
Published In: St. Paul, MN, USA
Date: 2002
Pgs: 281

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The Cannonball Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash, a coast-to-coast, New York to California road race. Movies were made. Stories were told. It actually happened, 4 times in the 1970s. In the days of the death of the American muscle car, when CAFE standards, corporate average fuel economy, were limiting the emissi
Tommccoy26
Sep 16, 2010 Tommccoy26 rated it really liked it
Many people do not realize that the horrible movie "The Cannonball Run" was actually based on a real-life series of cross-country races known, tongue-in-cheek, as the Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Tropy Dash. The race was organized by respected automotive journalist Brock Yates and was held four times during the 1970s. The premise of the race was, simply, to see who could get from New York, NY to Long Beach, CA the quickest.

In addition to being sporting fun for motoring enthusiast
Brett
Feb 21, 2013 Brett rated it liked it
Like many people my age, I have seen the Cannonball Run movie dozens of times. However, it was only after completing a Cannonball-based rally event, and only after it was recommended to me by another participant, that I even knew this book existed. I was very excited to read this book and, while there is definitely material worth reading, it requires an awful lot of skimming to get through it.

The parts written by Yates were the essential passages for me, while repetitive recollections of each ra
Dan
Feb 11, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing
Awesome.

I can think of no better way to explain how good this book is that to say that it will almost certainly make you want to attempt a high-speed, cross-country road race in your car. I've recommended it to several people and every one of them has come back with that suggestion.

I'm pretty sure that's why Yates included a bit of advice from one of the drivers who'd done it (note: I'm paraphrasing 'cause I'm too lazy to look up the quote):

If you think you'd like to try a cannonball, go out th
Jeffrey Hendricks
Apr 04, 2012 Jeffrey Hendricks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is composed of loose stories and tidbits from the actual Cannonball races from the 70's. Yates spins tales of outwitting local law enforcement, driving at breakneck speeds, and generally having a blast. Several of the original participants share anecdotes, and in the hardcover edition, there are photos from the actual event, including the infamous Trans-Con Medivac and some from the set of the movie.

I'd recommend it as an interesting look into the tumultuous world of the late 70's and w
Jim Watson
Jun 10, 2011 Jim Watson rated it liked it
I was curious about this book after reading a review in a car mag. Mostly I liked it but some of the detail about 480 cubic engines blah blah is really for extreme petrol heads. I was more interested in the characters that signed up to a series of these crazy "sea to shining sea memorial dashes", what made normally sensible people embark on such a venture as have often thought of something like this myself! Read it with that in mind and you will get some fun out of this book and of course you wi ...more
Marcus
Dec 02, 2014 Marcus rated it it was amazing
This book is a compilation of essays written by those brave, crazy souls who ran the actual Cannonball Run coast-to-coast races of the 1970s. As such, the writing is uneven and there is a lot of information repeated by different authors. That said, these stories are fascinating no matter how many times you hear them. This book should be required reading for anyone about to partake on an epic road trip across the USA.
Jake
Nov 15, 2012 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty decent book. Most of it is recollections of people other than the author, so you'll hear about the same event through many eyes, which can be both tedious and interesting depending on how you look at it. I think it's worth a solid three stars - if you're not interested in the Cannonball road race, don't bother; But if you are, it's worth checking out.
Joe
Feb 18, 2016 Joe rated it liked it
The Cannonball is the cross-country "The Only Rule Is There Are No Rules" road race. This book tells the story of the race first-hand, with descriptions by the people the created and participated in it.

I'm pretty fascinated by the race, and by the more recent attempts inspired by it. I was looking forward to reading the details, and started off enjoying the book: Brock Yates's attitude might be a little bit arrogant, but it can also be fun to read. But, after reading about a third of the book, a
Daleyplanit
Feb 19, 2014 Daleyplanit rated it really liked it
It's a zany tale of an underground race and the cast of characters you'd imagine would risk life, limb, and freedom to participate. I felt as if it could have been condensed a little, but the first half of the book did have me laughing out loud.
Jeffrey
Dec 27, 2012 Jeffrey rated it liked it
A fun tale from another time. As always, the true story will always be better than a dumbed-down Hollywood contrivance.
Robert
Nov 16, 2009 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sheer fun. Brock's one of the best there is at this kind of writing and he was THERE.
Ellison
Jan 20, 2016 Ellison rated it it was amazing
Engaging tales of the actual races across the United States in the 1970's that were to protest the federal mandated 55 MPH speed limits. Insightful, fun.
Dave Mevis
Jan 22, 2008 Dave Mevis rated it liked it
Recommended to Dave by: Dave Robbins
Brock lets his friends do the writing for him. I am into road racing, so I was hooked before I opened the book. However, I tired of it after reading so many accounts of essentially the same thing. If you are intrigued, check it out from the library and when you start to lose interest, return it. You won't miss anything by not making it to the end. (Sorry, Dave R.)
Kevin Boyle
Started out interesting but quickly lost interest. I want to do my own cannonball race from North Carolina to California (or maybe Florida to Alaska). Don't think I'll finish this one...
Bill Childers
Nov 11, 2013 Bill Childers rated it really liked it
As a car guy and a fan of the madcap 80s movie, this was a blast to read. Makes me want to crank up the big V8 and go blasting across America's roadways.
Critter Reyome
Critter Reyome rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Kathleen R Parker
Kathleen R Parker rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Dwight Koslowski
Dwight Koslowski marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Eric Cecil
Eric Cecil rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Nick
Nick added it
Jul 06, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Ryan Furst
Ryan Furst rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Keith Cahill
Keith Cahill rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Bradley T. White
Bradley T. White rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Bourbonite
Bourbonite marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ivan Tarin
Ivan Tarin rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Mac
Mac rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
  • The Driver
  • The Emperor of Wine: The Rise of Robert M. Parker, Jr., and the Reign of American Taste
  • Speed Secrets: Professional Race Driving Techniques
  • Birdman: The Many Faces of Robert Stroud
  • Driving Like Crazy: Thirty Years of Vehicular Hell-bending, Celebrating America the Way It's Supposed To Be -- With an Oil Well in Every Backyard, a Cadillac Escalade in Every Carport, and the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Mowing Our Lawn
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
  • Monkey on a Stick: Murder, Madness and the Hare Krishnas
  • A Preferred Blur: Reflections, Inspections, and Travel in All Directions
  • Nazis and the Occult: The Dark Forces Unleashed by the Third Reich
  • Death of a Dissident: The Poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko and the Return of the KGB
  • Rush to Judgment: A Critique of the Warren Commission's Inquiry into the Murder of President
  • Brothas Be, Yo Like George, Ain't That Funkin' Kinda Hard on You?: A Memoir
  • Letters from Africa, 1914-1931
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman
  • Head On/Repossessed
  • Tuxedo Park: A Wall Street Tycoon and the Secret Palace of Science That Changed the Course of World War II
  • Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World's Most Dangerous Website