Start by marking “Dancing with Cats” as Want to Read:
Dancing with Cats

Dancing with Cats

While researching their groundbreaking book, Why Cats Paint, Burton Silver and Heather Busch uncovered another phenomenon that seemed to merit further investigation: people who dance with their cats, or, more accurately, cats who dance with their people. It turns out that thousands of people today are rediscovering the ancient practice of cat dancing, tapping into this rem ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing with Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing with Cats

Jason Koivu

GOD DAMN IT

(Click on the link to see a moving picture show version of this review! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVzqs...)
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Sep 13, 2010 Paquita Maria Sanchez rated it did not like it
The low rating isn't because the book wasn't awesome, but because it was intimidatingly awesome and I hate being one-upped. Do you believe me?!? I'm also impressed that they managed to plug their other book in the TITLE of this book...I like that a lot, too. Ya know?
Sep 10, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants a good laugh
I really hope this is a Stealth Parody of "new-agey" books, but I doubt it, considering the elaborate nature of such a hoax (a Google search has shown nothing that would indicate the authors aren't completely serious). People aren't kidding when they say it's so funny it made them cry. Behold:

... and this....

... AND this little trauma-inducing one...

... and that is just the start. Wait til you read the text...
jenna
May 06, 2009 jenna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YOU!!!
Recommended to jenna by: Montambo
This is my new favorite book. Never before has a book brought me so much joy and laughter; a solid 45 minutes of tears streaming down my cheeks as a try to choke out passages to my husband. (Note: I'm not sure if the fact that I really hate cats enhanced the book or not.)

What's most useful is that it is also instructional and will teach you how to "answer your cat's invitation to dance" (this is because cat's have an open invitation to sychronize their cosmic energies and vibrations with you!) T
Peacegal
Mar 01, 2017 Peacegal rated it liked it
3.5 stars -- I kept thinking to myself, this is ripping off WHY CATS PAINT--until I realized the same folks are behind them both. Anyway, if you love cats, parodies, and bizarre humor, be sure not to miss it!
Hillary
The import with which these cat owner-dancers mesh their moves with their feline dance partners should not go unnoticed by the book reading public. It is available for check-out at the North Hollywood branch library.
alyssa carver
May 01, 2007 alyssa carver rated it it was amazing
this is the funniest book i have ever read in my life. ever. to read it is to laugh.
Kristi
Sep 30, 2014 Kristi rated it really liked it
On the surface this book may seem a bit silly, perhaps outlandish, and even downright nutty! On a deeper level, it is inspiring, fun, and pure magic. Many have written about this book as parody, and it is certainly a humorous book, as a quick scan of the images will reveal. Yet, the authors are individually involved in the field of feline energy dynamics and cat dance therapy, which certainly infers that there is a more earnest dimension to this project as well. While there may be tongue-in-chee ...more
Oriana
Jan 21, 2008 Oriana rated it it was amazing
Omigod this is the best coffee table book ever. Well, ok, this and the Deviant Desires book.

Why Cats Paint is probably more apalling in its earnestness, but this is maybe the best unintentionally(?) hilarious thing you'll ever see.
Jan 08, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Man oh man.
Keir Haug
Mar 10, 2017 Keir Haug rated it it was ok
This is just silly, and not necessarily in a good way. You want cat silly in a good way? http://nutiminn.is/kattarshians/
Literary Strawberry
I came across this today completely at random while book shifting at the library. It's probably the most bizarre thing I've managed to uncover yet, so of course I had to sign it out.

At first I was laughing really hard, because it was just so strange and ridiculous and they seemed to take it so seriously; but now with things so over the top I'm beginning to suspect more and more that it must be a satire. I mean, it /has/ to be; there's no way any of them could be taking this seriously-- right?

ht
Zachary Littrell
Jul 28, 2014 Zachary Littrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am 99.99% certain that this book is a parody of overly self-serious cat books and New Age books, combined into one; in the Acknowledgements, there is mention of "The Christchurch Polytechnic School of Feline Art & Dance." At times, the satire is a little too thick that the humor is lost as my eyes glaze over the pseudo-pseudo-science espoused by the pictured practitioners of dancing with cats -- but when it hits its mark, I actually laughed out loud. The pictures are funny on their own, to ...more
Voracious_reader
I adore my cats and have been known to hop around the house with ours quick at my heals, hopping and skittering around; however, Dancing with Cats by Burton Silver and Heather Busch is a weird little satirical book. The unnerving thing: three different people have given me this satire.

Its title says it all. It was amusing to glance through but you do not need a copy. The book has the same tongue-and-cheek feel of [Painting with Cats]--namely, it's funny but strange. It contains entries by purpo
Jessica Thurlow
Aug 06, 2012 Jessica Thurlow rated it did not like it
Dancing with Cats – A Peek into the Insane

I’ve just finished Burton Silver and Heather Busch’s Dancing with Cats. I’m not sure what to say about this book. I can’t tell if it was produced in seriousness or if it’s meant to be a parody. It’s a book about people dancing with cats as a way to transfer feline energy from cat to owner. If it’s meant to be a serious endeavor, I am deeply sad for the both the participants and the authors because they are quite clearly mentally disturbed. If it’s meant
Jennifer B.
Feb 08, 2016 Jennifer B. rated it really liked it
Whether or not this book is supposed to be serious or not, it made an impression on me. I don't think you have to be new agey to know that all living things have different energies, and different energies produce different vibrations. While I have never tried dancing with cats, I do know that singing to my guinea pigs makes them excited. Also, who hasn't felt the calming effect of a pet resting on their chest? If dancing with your cat makes you happy, go for it. If it makes your cat happy, too, ...more
Hope
Jun 01, 2016 Hope rated it it was ok
Initially, I thought this book was a humor book, taking accumulated and funny, possibly touching, pictures of cats dancing with people. While it does contain those images, this book was intended as a serious look at the spiritual art associated with dancing with a cat, and connecting with their spirit energy. While I respect people who hold these beliefs, I myself was baffled by the idea. All the same, if the people receive pleasure and rejuvenation from the activity, I think it's good for them.
Khara
Dec 27, 2015 Khara rated it really liked it
My best friend told me about these books (this one and Why Cats Paint)... and I adore them. If you like cats and dancing... I challenge you to make it through this book without chuckling. It's adorable and hilarious. (Yes, it's a book about people dancing with their cats.)
susie Marie
Jun 21, 2008 susie Marie rated it it was amazing
people and cats are both strange mysterious creatures and you get the right ones together and....this book taught me i am sane, that people can look like their cats and one really scary couple reignited their love life by rubbing each other like cats. basically, one of the best coffee books ever
Jennifer Baum
Jan 09, 2009 Jennifer Baum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is seriously the funniest picture book I've ever seen, although it's not meant to be. I happened to find it at work and I was howling with laughter and crying. Really, a must read. Everyone should own this book. Just thinking about it makes me start giggling again...
Ben Hiatt
Dec 04, 2010 Ben Hiatt rated it really liked it
There is some question as to the reality of this book subject but I loved it. We are contemplating passing it on to a new owner so that the joy of the cat dance might be shared. It inspired my family to dress as the stars of the book for Halloween the memory of which still causes me to grin.
Gayle
Oct 05, 2011 Gayle rated it did not like it
I love cats, cats are nice, but I hated this book!!!

I don't even own it any more. I rarely get rid of books, but I could not stand the humans in it, so off to the op shop with you!!
S
Jan 20, 2008 S rated it liked it
I'm a little reluctant to let people know I own this book. I tried to dance with my cat, Niccolo--as in Machiavelli, but he wasn't too receptive.
Carla
Jul 11, 2012 Carla rated it it was amazing
So wonderfully funny and smart, sadly for a cat-lover like myself I wanted it to be real. I was so ready to start dancing with my cat :)
Gemma
Oct 07, 2015 Gemma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hysterical, so funny. Loved it.
Dustin
Oct 16, 2008 Dustin rated it it was amazing
Dude. People dancing with cats. What else do you need to know?
pea
Apr 03, 2011 pea rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
3 stars because it made me laugh. a lot.
Suu Noe
Jul 18, 2013 Suu Noe rated it it was amazing
This changed my life
Jamie
Aug 30, 2015 Jamie rated it did not like it
A complete waste of time.
Catherine
Mar 18, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing
The most amazing parody ever.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Well Done, Those Men: Memoirs of a Vietnam Veteran
  • An Introduction to Jung's Psychology
  • The American Pageant: A History of the Republic
  • Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces
  • The pH Miracle for Weight Loss: Balance Your Body Chemistry, Achieve Your Ideal Weight
  • The Songs of Bilitis