Start by marking “The Practice of Creative Writing: A Guide for Students” as Want to Read:
The Practice of Creative Writing: A Guide for Students

The Practice of Creative Writing: A Guide for Students

The Practice of Creative Writing is designed for all students in the introductory course, including those who may never take another writing class. Its message is, simply put: you can do this, and it's worthwhile to try. Heather Sellers, who writes in multiple genres herself, has developed an approach that focuses on the habits and strategies that produce good writing in a ...more
Published July 27th 2007 by Bedford/St. Martin's

To ask other readers questions about The Practice of Creative Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Practice of Creative Writing

Brian
Feb 22, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing
This is a great investment (about 100$) for beginners who are serious about learning to write. My writing changed a lot as I read it because I started to understand the craft. Creative writing is describing the moving pictures in your mind, and letting that movie become the platform for your story. I was impacted by understanding showing versus telling. Sellers discusses the principles of writing, the building blocks. This is definitely worth the investment. I didn't find a lot of the writing se ...more
Shanea Headrick
Mar 29, 2014 Shanea Headrick rated it liked it
I am so glad I'm done with this book-for annoying and useful reasons!
The good-I loved how many exercises were in it throughout each chapter, not just at the end of one or in a separate section, but after a concept was discussed there was a way to apply it. I had a blast doing different techniques I don't usually enjoy or even think about using. Also, the readings at the end of each chapter made me laugh and cry. It felt like a little reward to all the work in the beginning of each chapter. A wh
Kim
Dec 09, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a required textbook for my creative writing class, and I really enjoyed it. For one, it doesn't read like a dry textbook or how-to book. I actually looked forward to reading from it! Sellers keeps her writing interesting and engaging. Her explanations were clear, simple, and direct. I didn't enjoy all of the reading examples she provided at the end of the chapters, but I'm excited to use her exercises some more. This is a great resource for beginning writers.
Jade C. Jamison
Feb 06, 2016 Jade C. Jamison rated it it was amazing
I have taught (and studied) creative writing with a lot of books. I loved this book the first time I taught from it and continue loving it because it isn't your run-of-the-mill creative writing textbook. So many of them focus on the same thing (and those topics aren't bad, but they're done to death), topics like plot, characters, setting, etc. Sellers focuses on elements that are usually glossed over in other texts, and that is what I appreciate about her book.
Tabitha Vohn
Apr 06, 2016 Tabitha Vohn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-brow
This is great for my uses. It has a lot of beginner's creative writing activities that will be accessible to high school students, while striving to teach them a bit of craft as well. Moreover, it provides guidelines for helping them to evaluate literature from a writer's perspective. I love it! There's enough info for an entire course, so I'm condensing it into an end of the year unit.
Megan
May 27, 2015 Megan added it
I have a request for anyone out there willing to help. I was supposed to receive this book last week, but shipping has been delayed twice. I need to know the titles of the poems on page 57 (Collins), 95 (addonizio), and 141 (Hoagland) so I can read the poems for my online class. Thanks you so much.
Annie
Read this for my Intro to Imaginative Writing class in the spring.
Katie Barsevich
Nov 17, 2012 Katie Barsevich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

80% of content was required reading for class, and I haven't finished the rest. This text is perfect for creative writing classes to motivate new and developing writers. It has an upbeat and positive tone, creative prompts, and relevant, sometimes humorous content. The featured examples from other authors are often interesting and good models. The writing is clear and easy to understand, and each chapter has a good focus with helpful tips and explanations. I may use this in my own future teachi
Araminta Matthews
Apr 14, 2016 Araminta Matthews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career-reading
THis is a fantastic writing resource. I particularly love the recipes section.
Wendy
It's not easy to create an introductory creative writing text that covers both poetry and prose (and even bits of literary nonfiction and drama), but Heather Sellers has done just that. I do have quibbles -- for example, her tone, which doesn't address students like the thoughtful adults that they are. But after plowing through twenty possibilities, this was the text I chose for my Intro to Creative Writing class.
Cat
Nov 21, 2013 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We used this book as part of my Freshman level creative writing workshop and I thought it was very effective.

All chapters are relevant for all genres of writing, and Sellers makes a case for switching back and forth in order to build different facets of one's skillset.

All of the writing examples were well chosen and Seller's own voice is easy to read, without being too dry or condescending.
Karyn
Jan 09, 2009 Karyn rated it it was amazing
This textbook rocks. Intro to CW textbooks are a tough lot: either too much like lit texts, or too loosey-goosey find-your-soul. Sellers's text manages to balance the loosey-goosey with practical, straightforward exercises and advice. She even makes a great argument for why CW is an essential course for any college student. I learned from this textbook, and my students loved it, too.
Lori
Dec 13, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing
I'm using this book to teach in the fall. I think it really is the best creative writing textbook that I've read though I wish it was organized by genre rather than all genres together. The readings and examples are fabulous. Some of the exercises are a bit tedious but I'm learning from this book. I think the chapter on images in particularly helpful.
Elizabeth
May 01, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
I did come out with some decent material from the writing prompts in this book, but it doesn't compare well to others I've tried. Sellers tries to turn her opinions and silly ideas into facts and it didn't sit well with me. I thought the examples of poetry and short stories were well chosen, but that's about the only thing I liked.
Paul
Nov 21, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for creative writing students. Each chapter outlines a specific writing strategy -- each of which builds on the one before. It's filled with activities, writing projects, and professional examples for reading. Probably the best text for a Creative Writing class.
Robin
Nov 27, 2012 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: at-home, school
This was a fabulous textbook. I've read several "how to write" books and this was the first time I actually understood HOW to implement the principles so many of these books preach. I'll be keeping this on my shelf for future reference.
Haley
Aug 28, 2013 Haley rated it it was amazing
This book is BRILLIANT -- full of stories and writing exercises and unique takes on writing as well as being written in a way that is not only helpful but easy to follow. To date, it's the best writing guide I've read.
Tabitha Tomala
Jul 28, 2013 Tabitha Tomala rated it it was amazing
An amazing book! I am very glad my professor chose this as our main textbook for the term. It is full of great ideas and examples of creative writing. I would recommend this to anyone trying to write.
Tiffany
Oct 22, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Yet another Creative Writing text book, this one is great for those looking for exercises to improve writing. It's full of prompts and practices that can keep you busy for hours, days, months maybe.
Sara Lamers
Aug 15, 2007 Sara Lamers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-read
This book also made many things "click" for me. I appreciate the secton on "reading as a writer" -- good for writers of all genres, especially fiction.
Theresa Crater
Apr 19, 2011 Theresa Crater rated it really liked it
Finally a text for writers, not students of litearture! Sellers tells my students what I had to discover all on my own.
Hyrum
Feb 20, 2014 Hyrum rated it liked it
An interesting read with some good ideas about how to improve your writing.
Kari
Jul 02, 2016 Kari rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not bad. There were a lot of helpful tips and pointers in this book.
Tracey
Nov 13, 2012 Tracey added it
I actually might keep this book from my college...mwahahaha!!
Gilliane Oswald
Gilliane Oswald rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Larry
Larry is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2016
Nick McCoy
Nick McCoy marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Julija
Julija added it
Sep 11, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Truth of the Matter: Art and Craft in Creative Nonfiction
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • The Writer's Portable Mentor: A Guide to Art, Craft, and the Writing Life
  • Telling Stories
  • June Jordan's Poetry for the People: A Revolutionary Blueprint
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Poet's Choice
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • The Art of Syntax: Rhythm of Thought, Rhythm of Song
  • Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Developmental Editing: A Handbook for Freelancers, Authors, and Publishers
  • Literature from the "Axis of Evil": Writing from Iran, Iraq, North Korea, and Other Enemy Nations
  • Method and Madness: The Making of a Story (A Guide to Writing Fiction)
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • Writing Past Dark: Envy, Fear, Distraction and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. F: The Twentieth Century & After
Heather Sellers has a PhD in English/Creative Writing from Florida State University. She’s a professor of English at Hope College in Holland, Michigan, where she teaches poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction writing courses. She won an NEA grant for fiction and her first book of fiction, Georgia Under Water, was part of the Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers program.
More about Heather Sellers...

“...writing is making a mess, and then working and reworking to create a beautiful piece.” 2 likes