Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of More Historical Whodunnits” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of More Historical Whodunnits

The Mammoth Book of More Historical Whodunnits

Three dozen mystery writers—among them Elizabeth Peters, Edward D. Hoch, Tom Holt, Margaret Frazer, Susanna Gregory, Derek Wilson, Marilyn Todd, and Michael Jecks—contrive deadly conundrums in the original stories commissioned especially for the volume. Its chilling, suspenseful pages include lethal doings in old Byzantium, the case of a serial killer loose in Elizabethan ...more
Published August 29th 2001 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of More Historical Whodunnits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of More Historical Whodunnits

Princessjay
Sep 29, 2015 Princessjay rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Poppy and the Poisoned Cake - Steven Saylor
Gordianus the Finder is tasked to discover why someone is trying poison a Roman censor. Outstanding story, with a political twist for ending. Gordianus is a very likable character.

Blind Justice - Michael Kurland
Marcus Fabius Quintilianus -- advocate and educator -- solves a blind young man accused of parricide. Rather humorous.

A Payment to the Gods - Rosemary Rowe
Libertus the Pavement-Maker is called by his patron to help a pious mercenary to honor the
Hannah
Jan 16, 2010 Hannah rated it liked it
Very enjoyable collection of stories overall, although I would have preferred perhaps more stories set in Roman times or post-Elizabethan England. There were quite a few stories set during the Dark Ages and the Crusades, eras which I have very little interest in.

My favourite stories in this anthology are probably The Last Legion by Richard Butler, telling of the "last crime" before the Romans sailed away from Britain, and Flibbertigibbet by Paul Finch, featuring a "Jack the Ripper" in Elizabetha
Marie
Jul 29, 2010 Marie rated it liked it
I like murder/mysteries, and I like history, so this collection of short fiction was a fun read; the last two stories, however, were lacking in something to me. Either I couldn't comprehend the scenery well in The Vasty Deep by Peter T. Garrat, or the pacing felt off in A Taste For Burning by Marilyn Todd.
Suzanne
Jun 27, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: dig-them-shorts
This wasn't what I thought it was going to be and really wasn't my cup of tea. I don't much care for this type of story. Most of them fit too nicely into a template of shorts. Mystery is presented. Seems impossible. Investigator guy does one clever thing. Then solves it with a tidy summary.
Kaye
Jan 12, 2010 Kaye rated it really liked it
Mystery short stories from Roman to Elizabethan times. Gave this up as a waiting-room book and finished it off. Enjoyed all but the last few, set in medieval and elizabethan times, which seemed less well written and more gothic-romance-ish.

Pam
Oct 07, 2007 Pam rated it liked it
I started this earlier but just finished it over the weekend. It's a collection of historical mystery short stories. Overall, I liked the book a lot with a few stories here and there that I wasn't overly found of. It's a great introduction to historical mysteries.
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Claire Barker
Claire Barker rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Mark Howard
Mark Howard rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2010
BJ
BJ rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Sofia
Sofia rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2010
Brenda Rackley
Brenda Rackley rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
Meo
Meo rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Janice Jacobovitz
Janice Jacobovitz rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Stephy
Stephy rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2007
Louise Mcmillan
Louise Mcmillan rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2010
MaryAnne
MaryAnne rated it really liked it
May 04, 2011
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Elihu
Elihu rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Annie Flanders
Annie Flanders rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2011
Melody
Melody rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Elisa Richardson
Elisa Richardson rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...