Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy

The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Mike Ashley is back with an all-new edition of one of the bestselling Mammoth Books ever, from the funniest writers in the field, including Neil Gaiman, Tom Holt, and Terry Jones. The thirty- five off-the-wall comic fantasies featured in Ashley's new collection are a mix of specially written stories and hard-to-find gems: a computer salesman in fairyland, a vampire footbal ...more
Published July 15th 2005 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy

Henrik Andersson
Now, this isn't actually a complaint, but when I'm reading a book called "The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy" I'm expecting the stories within to be fairly recent. As it turns out, half of the 30+ stories were written in the last millenium - the earliest from 1905! Had the book been named "The New Mammoth Book Of Comic Fantasy" I'd have had no qualms, but since most of these stories are pretty good I'll let it slide.

The stories all range from classic fantasy (wizards & dragons type) to sc
Maggie
Meh.

Aliens+robots+spaceships+other worlds = science fiction.

Magic+dragons+elves+supernatural beings = fantasy.

I don't care for most science fiction, with a few rare exceptions. Three quarters of the stories in this compendium were not, in fact, fantasy. They were science fiction. That irritated me to the point where I didn't even bother reading them all. Harumph. Where was the Terry Pratchett? Neil Gaiman did not contribute a story - he just wrote the introduction. Which was lame. There's GOT to
Otis Campbell
• 1 • Introduction: The Wonders to Behold (The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy) • essay by Mike Ashley
• 3 • Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire • (2004) • novelette by Neil Gaiman
• 17 • The Blue Magnolia • (2000) • shortstory by Tony Ballantyne
• 27 • Colquitt's High-Energy Trousers • (2003) • shortstory by Steven Pirie
• 36 • A Drama of Dragons • [The Ebenezum Trilogy] • (1980) • novelette by Craig Shaw Gardner
• 54 • Pest Control • shortsto
Caroline
My only experience of fantasy novels has been Terry Pratchett's excellent Discworld series, so I thought I would give this one a go.
Although titled "The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy" many of the stories within are actually sci-fi. They all have one thing in common though. They are amusing and hugely entertaining.
Michaela Pilling
This is certainly a mammoth of a compilation of short stories. 32 in 534 pages. All in all the stories were hit and miss. I think it was a genius compilation overall. I would read again.
Tanya Beaton
It was amusing... some of them weren't very funny, but most of them were entertaining.
Jenny
A lot of hits and a lot of misses.
Mary Kay  Kare
Mr. Ashley seems to have very peculiar definitions for the words "comic" and "fantasy". I mean, yes, humo(u)r is very individual, but in a book with this many stories I ought to have been amused more often than I was. Also, a good number of those stories were science fiction, not fantasy. I've no objection to sf, I read it regularly, but that was not what I thought I was buying. Can't recommend it at all.
Ilex
Despite the title advertising that this is a collection of fantasy, a good portion of these stories are actually science fiction. Like many short story collections, some of the stories are excellent, some mediocre, and some awful. I did feel that many of the stories felt either very rushed or alternately dragged on; very few felt nicely balanced.
Tasneem
A fabulous collection of some very talented writers. I enjoyed it very much, and found the vision truly entertaining.
Dwer
most of the author's senses of humor do not match mine. nuff said
Hussian
Hussian marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Yora Tehupuring
Yora Tehupuring marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Allen Springer
Allen Springer marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Ronel
Ronel marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Dodo
Dodo marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Elisheva Rina
Elisheva Rina marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Caroline Frechette
Caroline Frechette marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Pete Fargo
Pete Fargo marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Darceypaige
Darceypaige marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • Stars and Stripes Triumphant (Stars & Stripes, #3)
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Unseen University Cut-Out Book
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
  • Knights Of Madness
  • Tintin in the New World: A Romance
  • Kissed
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF