Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II

The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Bungee-jumping demons, mad Magi, seafaring aliens, and a tricky wizard who leaks to the press populate this new collection of magic and mayhem from fantasy's funniest, wackiest writers, among them Harlan Ellison, Ambrose Bierce, Neil Gaiman, Craig Shaw Gardner, Harry Harrison, Tom Holt, and many more. Here are the madcap fantasies of "The Case of the Four-and-Twenty Blackb ...more
Published December 1st 1999 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II

Libby
I got this cheap at Halfprice Books - at full price I would have been disappointed but on sale this was a fun way to get copies of a few really good stories I would not have otherwise come across -

These made this compilation worthwhile -

Uncle Henry Passes by Esther Friesner

The Aliens Who Knew, I Mean, Everything by George Alec Effinger (5 stars to this story!)

The Case of Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Neil Gaiman

The Man Who Hated Cadillacs by E.K. Grant

The rest ranged from very poor to chuckle
Otis Campbell
• xiii • Introduction: The Second Most Serious Page in This Book • (1999) • essay by Mike Ashley
• 1 • Neander-Tale • (1980) • shortstory by James P. Hogan
• 8 • Uncle Henry Passes • (1999) • shortstory by Esther M. Friesner [as by Esther Friesner ]
• 23 • A Dealing with Demons • [The Ebenezum Trilogy] • (1981) • novelette by Craig Shaw Gardner
• 52 • The Case of Jack the Clipper or A Fimbulwinter's Tale • (1997) • shortstory by David Langford
• 60 • The Shoemaker and the Elvis • (1997) • shortstory
Marsha
Comeuppances, unexpected plot twists, weird magical gifts, beleaguered magicians and spells gone awry are among some of the themes of these stories that look at the funny side of fantasy. There’s a lot to pick and choose here, from modern writers like Neil Gaiman to obscure ones like John Kendrick Bangs (he who wrote the oft-published “The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hall”) and a plethora of other authors. Long-time science fiction fans may be surprised to find that their favorite writers had their ...more
Jasmiina F
3,3/5.
This is a collection of fantasy and science fiction stories. My favorite stories were A Slow Day in Hell (Julia S. Mandala), The Aliens Who Knew Everything (George Alec Effinger) and History Book (John Grant). Most of the stories were good, but there were some that I just didn’t like that much.

I think there were only two stories I didn’t like at all, The Ultimate from Seamus Cullen and Quest from Sue Anderson.

The only authors I was already familiar with were Neil Gaiman and Tom Holt. Four
Shawn Dvorak
This compilation includes short stories from the usual suspects in comic fantasy: Neil Gaiman, Harry Harrison, Ambrose Bierce, and Alan Dean Foster, but there are also several stories from authors I didn't expect. Who knew William Schenk Sullivan (yes, Sullivan of Gilbert & Sullivan fame) wrote quite a lot of comic fantasy prose in between comic operas? I enjoyed all 35 stories in this collection, and many of them induced me to seek out other works by the authors.
Aleksandra
Po pierwszym tomie Opowieści o Czarodziejach z radością zabrałam się za czytanie następnego zbioru opowiadań. Muszę przyznać, że trochę się zawiodłam, większość opowiadań była przeciętna jak nie po prostu słaba. Zdarzyły się "perełki", które owładnęły mną całkowicie, ale to nadal zbyt mało. Poprzedni tom o wiele lepszy.
David Melbie
Jan 07, 2011 David Melbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comic fantasy fans
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
I was into to this type of story this particular month. This stuff is funny! After reading Pratchett, I was on this kick. . .
Will
I enjoyed this book more than the previous volume, as the selections were funnier.
Ed
Much better than the other one. Gaiman does a good job here.
Matthew Stanley
Matthew Stanley marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Anne Boden
Anne Boden marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Amanda Clawson
Amanda Clawson marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Samantha Dragon
Samantha Dragon marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Håkan Kihlberg
Håkan Kihlberg marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Håkan Kihlberg
Håkan Kihlberg marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Anna Obotnina
Anna Obotnina marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Catherine Lehmann
Catherine Lehmann marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Jenny Medlin
Jenny Medlin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Kathy Duncan
Kathy Duncan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Ventsislav Peychev
Ventsislav Peychev marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Tintin in the New World
  • Legends Volume 2
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present