Law and Literature

Law and Literature

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Hailed in its first edition as an "outstanding work, as stimulating as it is intellectually distinguished" ("New York Times"), Richard A. Posner's "Law and Literature" has handily lived up to the "Washington Post's" prediction that the book would "remain essential reading for many years to come." This new edition, extensively revised and enlarged, continues to emphasize th...more
Paperback, Revised and Enlarged Edition, 432 pages
Published March 15th 1998 by Harvard University Press

Ke Huang
Judge Posner's writing is accessible and lucid. I would say this book provides great insight into imaginative writing's relationship to law and vice versa, but I may be one of those unqualified proles looked down on by PhD literary critics.

A reader should also consider picking up this book because of its copious references and footnotes. I wouldn't have heard of Gaddis' "A Frolic of His Own," for example.
Alexis
I am new to the Law and Literature field, and I was looking for an "Intro to..." read. The book made for interesting reading, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I did get a sense of what the Law and Literature movement is about, and my reading list is much longer, but the book reads like a long law review article. I was hoping for a more neutral overview of the topic.
Zach
Judge Posner knows a great deal about the law (duh), and he's a careful reader of the works he discusses. I'm a former literature grad student currently loving law school, and I found this book utterly uninteresting. Some of the works he cites, though, will prove useful - I have a professor who structured his Contracts class around _The Merchant of Venice_.
Josh
This is an interesting book about the intersections of law and literature, my two things. It makes me feel better about loving to read novels and being a lawyer at the same time.
Erin Kelley
Good general overview of the law and literature literary movement, including legal prototypes, genres, and various works.
Kay
Feb 29, 2008 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: law
Most interesting for me was his use of literature as a means to discuss jurisprudence. But what about good legal writing?
Robert
Fascinating - much better than I had expected.
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Olivia Tsang
Olivia Tsang marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Brooke Bovier
Brooke Bovier marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Alexandru Suciu
Alexandru Suciu marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Astrid Bolea
Astrid Bolea marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Emily Spaulding
Emily Spaulding marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jam
Jam marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Michael Pophal
Michael Pophal marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Leroy
Leroy added it
Mar 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Richard Posner is Senior Lecturer in Law at the University of Chicago Law School.

Following his graduation from Harvard Law School, Judge Posner clerked for Justice William J. Brennan Jr. From 1963 to 1965, he was assistant to Commissioner Philip Elman of the Federal Trade Commission. For the next two years he was assistant to the solicitor general of the United States. Prior to going to Stanford...more
More about Richard A. Posner...
A Failure of Capitalism: The Crisis of '08 and the Descent Into Depression How Judges Think The Little Book of Plagiarism Economic Analysis of Law Overcoming Law