Start by marking “Law and Literature” as Want to Read:
Law and Literature

Law and Literature

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Hailed in its first edition as an "outstanding work, as stimulating as it is intellectually distinguished" ("New York Times"), Richard A. Posner's "Law and Literature" has handily lived up to the "Washington Post's" prediction that the book would "remain essential reading for many years to come." This new edition, extensively revised and enlarged, continues to emphasize th ...more
Paperback, Revised and Enlarged Edition, 432 pages
Published March 15th 1998 by Harvard University Press

To ask other readers questions about Law and Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Law and Literature

Mohit Munjaal
goodreads is an awesome website which provide me lots and lots of good books
Ke Huang
Judge Posner's writing is accessible and lucid. I would say this book provides great insight into imaginative writing's relationship to law and vice versa, but I may be one of those unqualified proles looked down on by PhD literary critics.

A reader should also consider picking up this book because of its copious references and footnotes. I wouldn't have heard of Gaddis' "A Frolic of His Own," for example.
Pip
A tough read. The chapters on statutory interpretation and judicial opinions as literature were particularly interesting.
Alexis
I am new to the Law and Literature field, and I was looking for an "Intro to..." read. The book made for interesting reading, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I did get a sense of what the Law and Literature movement is about, and my reading list is much longer, but the book reads like a long law review article. I was hoping for a more neutral overview of the topic.
Zach
Judge Posner knows a great deal about the law (duh), and he's a careful reader of the works he discusses. I'm a former literature grad student currently loving law school, and I found this book utterly uninteresting. Some of the works he cites, though, will prove useful - I have a professor who structured his Contracts class around _The Merchant of Venice_.
Josh
This is an interesting book about the intersections of law and literature, my two things. It makes me feel better about loving to read novels and being a lawyer at the same time.
Erin Kelley
Good general overview of the law and literature literary movement, including legal prototypes, genres, and various works.
Kay
Feb 29, 2008 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: law
Most interesting for me was his use of literature as a means to discuss jurisprudence. But what about good legal writing?
Robert
Fascinating - much better than I had expected.
Rob
Rob added it
Feb 19, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn added it
Feb 06, 2015
Ryan M
Ryan M marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Booksarethebest
Booksarethebest marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Helena Hanke
Helena Hanke is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Luis María
Luis María marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Alan Gongora
Alan Gongora marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Tom Smitha
Tom Smitha marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 12, 2014
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
  • A History of American Law
  • A People's History of the Supreme Court: The Men and Women Whose Cases and Decisions Have Shaped Our Constitution
  • Digital Barbarism
  • Tests of Time
  • Women and Human Development: The Capabilities Approach
  • Is Multiculturalism Bad for Women?
  • The Sounds of Poetry: A Brief Guide
  • The Classics: All You Need to Know, from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome
  • Making Waves
  • Speaking Truth to Power
  • Visions of Jazz: The First Century
Richard Posner is Senior Lecturer in Law at the University of Chicago Law School.

Following his graduation from Harvard Law School, Judge Posner clerked for Justice William J. Brennan Jr. From 1963 to 1965, he was assistant to Commissioner Philip Elman of the Federal Trade Commission. For the next two years he was assistant to the solicitor general of the United States. Prior to going to Stanford
More about Richard A. Posner...
A Failure of Capitalism: The Crisis of '08 and the Descent Into Depression How Judges Think The Little Book of Plagiarism Economic Analysis of Law Overcoming Law