Start by marking “Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis” as Want to Read:
Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis

Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Long before the natural-food movement gained popularity, before greenmarkets sprouted across the United States, Edna Lewis championed purity of ingredients, regional cuisine, and the importance of bringing food directly from the farm to the table. She was a chef when female chefs---let alone African American female chefs---were few and far between, and she received many aw ...more
Published June 18th 2008 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie

Lisa Vegan
This is an excellent non-fiction book for children. One of the best things about it is that it makes fruits and vegetables seem so appealing.

I love the illustrations. The story text is a mix of straight prose and of rhymes and sayings from Edna’s childhood on the farm and from American folk traditions.

I’m so glad a children’s biography book was written about Edna Lewis, whose grandfather was one of three freed slaves who founded the farming community of Freetown, VA. the story also seems very m
Kathryn
An entertaining story all about the glorious of food--real, honest-to-goodness fruits and veggies enjoyed fresh the way nature intended. You'll no doubt be hungry after you finish reading, so it's nice they have included a few recipes in the back :-) I wish there had been a bit more in the story to show what made Edna Lewis so special--it's really more a story just about her family and how much they love food, so while it clearly shows her early passion for food it doesn't tell about her experie ...more
Miriam
A nice introduction to the idea of seasonal cooking and to practices like foraging and canning. Unfortunately the dialogue is not at all convincing, sounding more like Edna Lewis the elderly cook than Edna Lewis the energetic little girl.
N_carlyl
I chose this book as the first one to read this week because I was immediately drawn to the illustration on the cover as well as the title. Throughout the story, the illustrations appear to be like watercolor paintings. They are all so colorful and truly make the images come alive. The food in the story looks like I could grab it and take a bite! Not only do the images make you want to eat more, the story itself inspired me to cook more!

This story tells about the childhood of a remarkable lady.
Ann
The story is inspired by the life of chef and cookbook author Edna Lewis, with inspiration from the author's own childhood. The story takes us from the first call of the whippoorwill in spring through the last harvest before the winter. I like the idea of moving through the seasons based on what crop is harvested: strawberries in spring, blackberries in summer, apples in the fall. I also love how the author mentions various dishes the crops can be used in, and even how they are canned, preserved ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I was a little disappointed in this book. I expected it to be the story of a girl who grows up to become a famous chef, since this book is supposed to be about her. But instead, it's about all of the fruits, nuts and vegetables the child and her family picked each season and the foods the mother made with them. There were random poems some characters spoke which felt out of place. The illustrations were okay, not the best watercolors I've seen and you can still make out the pencil lines where th ...more
Crystal Marcos
I wasn't he most excited about the illustrations. It was the love you could feel from the family and the whole foods that brought them together that did it for me. I like the way the book flowed with little songs and sayings throughout it. I especially enjoyed wanting more and more to be on the farm with every page of the book. My parents have a garden and mom has an over abundance of strawberries. Last night, I was over there and she was making strawberry jam for the first time. Now I have anot ...more
Ethelen V.
Gourley, R. (2009). Bring me some apples and I'll make you a pie: A story about Edna Lewis. New York, NY: Clarion Books.

This is the story of Edna Lewis, a descendant of slaves who grew up to be a famous chef. The story is of her growing up on the family farm in Virginia. We are walked through the various seasons and the crops that are grown during those times. The book even includes recipes that Edna Lewis learned as a child and later made in her restaurant.

Because of the vocabulary, this book
Karol
For some reason, this book didn't hold a lot of appeal for me. Surprising, since I spent many hours on my grandparents' farm enjoying the same kinds of activities and sayings as this book contained. Somehow, the presentation in this book didn't strike a chord with my own experiences. Still, I thought it did a good job exploring "fresh is best" and some of the traditions that go hand in hand with rural life.
Jane LoBosco
This book is a really amazing book, that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. This book goes through all of the amazing foods that grow naturally, and what you can make out of them. I thought this book was a great way to talk about the healthy food options that are out there. I thought this book was really sweet, and told a great story. I think that children would enjoy this book, and adults would as well. This book is actually written about a famous African American chef, who was a chef when women and ...more
Sam Bloom
Based on the childhood of African-American chef Edna Lewis, this title is highly recommended for foodies, cooks, and gardeners. As spring approaches, Edna and her family start planting, picking, and harvesting their crops, talking about recipes and sharing rhymes. The result is really quite charming.
Richie Partington
13 February 2009 BRING ME SOME APPLES AND I'LL MAKE YOU A PIE: A STORY ABOUT EDNA LEWIS by Robbin Gourley, Clarion, 48p., January 2009, ISBN: 978-0-618-15836-2

"Start at the bottom and you pick 'em from the ground
And you pick the tree clean all the way around;
Then you set up your ladder and you climb up high
And you're looking through the leaves at the clear blue sky."
-- Larry Hanks, "Apple Picker's Reel"

Today is one of those days that cannot make up its mind. It was raining earlier this morning h
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
This book falls right on the line between fiction and nonfiction. It consists of little excerpts from the childhood of Edna Lewis, a girl who grew into one of the best chefs in the world. Each scene depicts Edna and her family picking fresh fruits and vegetables on the farm where Edna grew up. Each scene includes conversations that might have taken place between Edna and her family members and concludes with a song or a snippet of folklore or a short poem about the fruits and vegetables.

The sto
Omolayo Adenrele
This book is really good children friendly book. the pictures was very well aligned with the story. The book was about a family whose were gardening and picking things pout of the yard and making mention of various foods and deserts. That is the way it relates to my topic. The quality of the book was good and can be easily followed by small children if you put aside the lengthy text on some pages. This was a fiction book.
Rachel
I loved this picture book about chef Edna Lewis, who I had heard of but never read anything about, so I figured this book would give me a headstart on knowing about her. I thought it was very well done, mixing the different harvests during from spring to fall with "rhymes and sayings taken from American folk tradition (Gourley, 40)." I especially liked how everytime she and her family would pick the produce, she would say something cooking-related like "Honey on hot biscuits sweetens the morning ...more
Caitlin Barclay
This is a story about a book when she was growing up. The author uses very descriptive language to describe the family life during the harvesting times. She includes poetry and describes many different fruits and vegetables as well as going through the different processes of harvesting throughout the year. These are all topics that can be discussed with students as they learn about life before factories and machines! There are even some recipes included by the girl who is in the story making it ...more
MJ
Chanae Wills
This story talks about a young girl named Edna who lives on a farm with her family. In the spring time they begin to plant and harvest their fruits and vegetables. By the time winter comes they eat the food that they have saved and they wait for next spring to do it again.
I could use this book to teach my students about healthy eating. I could also use this book to teach my students about planting fruits and vegetables and use this as a science lesson. For writing, I could have my students choos
Jodi Young
I really enjoyed this book. I was able to relate to this story from picking greens and berries, and pecans and I'm sure some students will be able to relate to it also. This book can be used for talking about different fruits and vegetables. Discussing activites that people do with their families. Talking about different foods that different cultures eat. Favorite foods. The different seasons and what fruits and vegetables grow at what time and if they grow in the ground or the trees. Tons of th ...more
Christine Turner
From the whippoorwill's call on the first day of spring through the first snowfall, Edna and members of her family gather fruits, berries, and vegetables from the fields, garden, and orchard on their Virginia farm and turn them into wonderful meals. Includes facts about the life of Edna Lewis, a descendant of slaves who grew up to be a famous chef, and five recipes. www.hcpl.net

One of my favorite books!
Heather
The artwork in this book is lovely, and my daughter enjoyed finding not only the fruits and vegetables that Edna was harvesting, but also the animals drawn throughout. That this book is representative of the childhood that Edna Lewis may have had, makes it even more special. Coupled with a mini-biography of Chef Lewis and some recipes, this children's book is a delight.
Sheniqua
A wonderful story about a young African American girl and her family who grow their fruits and vegetables from the ground and then use them for different foods. This book could be used with fifth graders to discuss physical and chemical changes and also to talk about the different seasons and what grows during that time. I love the recipes that are in the back of the book.
Tamara the Librarian
Story about Af-A chef Edna Lewis-- unusual to be both a female chef let alone an Af-Am one.

Diff. family members recite poems about great fresh vegetables, etc. that family picks from their farm in the spring, summer and fall. Celebration about fantastic meals made from fresh fruits and veggies.

Recipes at back of book

Avail. Blackstone
Diana Hanke
Relates what may have been the experience of Edna Lewis as she grew up with her family. The family's life relied on the harvest of fruits, vegetables, and nuts from Spring to Winter. Each gathered food inspired ideas for use in young Edna's mind. The book also has several yummy recipes included. It is a refreshing look at harvesting from the land.
Alma Loredo
The family that was portrayed in the story lived in a farm. The story narrates about the different times of the year when different fruit were riped and ready to be picked. When winter came along all these goods werer waiting for them. They knew that right after winter would come spring and they could begin to pick their fruits again.
Sally
A nice walk through a beautiful summer and the gathering of all the fresh, seasonal fruits and veggies and nuts. Then comes the preserving for a taste of summer all winter long.

African female chef. Includes author's note with biographical info and recipes from Edna Lewis.

Would be a fun person to study in a biography.
Khadija Bensaadoun
A wonderful story about a young girl names Edna who shares a passion with her family of taking fruits and vegetables and turning them into delicious meals. This book could be used for a kindergarten lesson in which I would discuss healthy foods with the students and how they are important in maintaining a healthy life.
Mary Ann
This is a nice book about the different foods you gather at different seasons, and the dishes you make with them. But it just didn't speak to me emotionally.

I don't think kids who grow up far from farms will feel this book. The art work is very nice.
Amber
wonderful Illustrations done in watercolors. The book is about a family that owns a farm and grows many crops on it. The nice thing I liked about this book. was that the book had a few recipes in it that the whole family could help make and enjoy.
Austen to Zafón
Jun 06, 2009 Austen to Zafón marked it as to-read
Why: saw this on Kelly H's to-read list. I've never heard of Edna Lewis but I like the idea of a poetic, illustrated book about the childhood of a chef. And I love to read about people growing and gathering their own food.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
First Garden: The White House Garden and How It Grew Talkin' Guitar: A Story of Young Doc Watson Cakewalk: Living Spoonfuls from a Southern Cook Sugar Pie and Jelly Roll: Sweets from a Southern Kitchen Talkin' Guitar