Start by marking “Superman for All Seasons” as Want to Read:
Superman for All Seasons

Superman for All Seasons (Post-Crisis Superman Chronology)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  10,161 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Before the legend, before the icon, before the Man of Tomorrow...there was Clark Kent, a young man coming to terms with the awesome power that Fate had granted him.
Published 2003 by Titan Books Ltd (first published December 8th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Superman for All Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman for All Seasons

Paz R.M.
3.5 Stars
Superman: For All Seasons is a tender story that reflects perfectly the core of this character. It is not the tale of heroic actions and big spectacles, of violent fights and villains, it is the story of a boy loved by his family, growing up and trying to do good, trying to be better. It is sweet and strangely nostalgic. It's a bit cheesy, but enough for you to care, to connect with Clark. It's a story divided in four seasons paralleling Clark's life and every season has a different n
Roxanne
Sep 27, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confession time, i don't really like superman.

There's just something about the guy i don't know what it is, maybe it was being forced to watch that crappy 90's tv show, or how fucking dumb his disguise is, either way i just tend to avoid the guy the most i see of him is in the justice league and even then it's like shut up kent let bruce deal with this shit okay.
However i did think maybe i should give this guy a break so picked this one up for two reasons, first it's a loeb & sale creation
Donovan

"Believe none of what you hear. Half of what you see. And everything you write."

Why did I wait so many years to read this? Seriously. I loved this. This is in my top two with All Star Superman.

While this isn't the first Superman retelling, it's certainly one of the greatest. Jeph Loeb tells the tale of Superman's coming of age and coming into his own, skipping Kryptonian lore and going right to Kansas. The writing is tender, nostalgic, and simple. I yearned for the down home and loving parents
Sam Quixote
Despite being a massive Superman fan, it’s taken me a while to get to this book – which many readers put forward as one of the “must-read” Superman books – because it’s written by Jeph Loeb. I really don’t like Loeb’s writing and his Batman stuff is among the most overrated garbage I’ve ever read. That said, I felt compelled to read this if only to say I have and can say with authority that it too is terrible – which is why I was pleasantly surprised with what I found with Superman For All Seaso ...more
Dec 31, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-classics, comics
The graphic novel that returned my love of comic books. As a newly minted college graduate, I had seen no reason to embrace comics again outside of a research capacity for my plays. This novel, however, made me remember everything I loved about comics as a kid: the almost "morality play" storylines, the majesty of the characters as they move across panels, the comedy that can easily be found in running around in tights, the hardbitten women unwilling to sit on the sidelines while the boys have a ...more
Cheese
Jul 29, 2015 Cheese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic story from Loeb and Sale. I love the way he puts a calm and meaningful spin on some of the biggest comic characters out there. My favourite was Daredevil yellow and Spider-Man blue, but this is up there too.

The story is told in four different seasons by four different people in Supermans' life and shows how he matures throughout his teenage years leaving smallville to becoming superman and working in Metropolis.

I thought it had great artwork and a different insight into Super
Sam :)
Rating: 4 stars!

This was required reading for my Epic Hero unit in Communication and Literacy class. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, including the beautiful illustrations, and look forward to reading more graphic novels in the future!
Erica David
Mar 22, 2011 Erica David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to have a problem with Supes. Being a fan of the Bat, Superman was a little too squeaky clean for me. I’m not saying that all of our modern heroes need to be dark, tortured antiheroes, but the whole Midwestern farm boy turned reporter thing never really interested me. Then I read Superman For All Seasons and something happened. I can only describe it as a warming of the cockles of my tiny Grinch heart. Loeb and Sale have given us a beautiful and elegant exploration of the origins of Super ...more
Anne
May 27, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's definitely a good graphic novel about Clark Kent and his first few years as Superman. Though, I was kind of hoping for more...something? Maybe it was the art that turned me off? Not sure. Anyway, it was good, but not quite totally satisfying.
Peter Derk
Apr 10, 2016 Peter Derk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wizard-100
After being a little disappointed by some recent Superman movies, I decided to keep an eye out for the best Superman comics. Superman's never been one of my go-to's. I don't know why. Something about him was just a little...boring, I guess.

But on the other hand, there HAS to be some great stuff out there. You can't keep a character going this long without some damn good stories. And hell, you can do good runs of Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and LEGION. There HAS to be some good Superman stuff.

And
Nicholas
Mar 27, 2012 Nicholas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not an action/adventure epic, which is different for a superman title, but beautifully told nonetheless. The story concerns the struggles of clark kent to suppress his desires for an ordinary life and learning to deal with his limitations (yes superman his limitations too). The result is a heart-warming tale that fleshes out the relationship he has with his parents and with Lana Lang and focuses on the sacrifices superman makes every day that we may not even think about. Typically, people spend ...more
Blindzider
Feb 14, 2016 Blindzider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is actually a reread for me, the first time being way back when this first came out. I wanted to see if it still held up and it does.

There's a kind of serenity about this story and a simpleness, similar to the life out in Smallville. You learn about Clark during that critical time of when he is just becoming a man and making a life of his own just like any human, but also dealing with learning to become Superman. I don't think there is any Superman story out there where you will find him m
Stargirl
Jun 10, 2016 Stargirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a lovely take on Clark and Superman.
It got me teary, and full of hope at the same time.

I love how we get different people's take on CK, even if Lex definitely has a creepy way of seeing things -this guy is scary- and it's everything I love about our dear CK.

The art is also special and gives a peaceful vibe to the stories, if that makes sense.

As I read this, this is a +10 yo story and yet it has an out-of-time spirit that will draw you back to it. This is a story for all, for all se
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

This one starts early with Clark/Superman in Smallville, leaving on his epic journey to Metropolis. It's divided into four parts, or seasons, each one told through the POV of a different character in his life.

The first section is told through the POV of Jonathan Kent, who speaks of his son and his abilities, his life in Smallville with Lana and the farm, the small town and how the father knows he may be destined for bigger things. Summer is told through the POV of Lois Lane, the reporter who cat
Chris Kay
Feb 02, 2014 Chris Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superman for All Seasons is a very different type of story to those one usually reads about the Man of Steel – he only stops one speeding train, and most of the story takes place in Smallville rather than Metropolis. Instead, this is a story about coming of age, about change and finding your place in a world which can seem frightening no matter how gifted you are. It's about the expectations those around you hold, and your own ambitions. It is a story which begs to be read by the 18-25 demograph ...more
Feb 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book, with gorgeous art -- it has a very atmospheric quality. I'm not sure there's all that much to the story -- the plot itself is loose and meandering. But the character arcs are strong and the narration (from Pa Kent, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, and Lana Lang, in each respective "season") really holds together the emotional threads and symbolic resonance. While the story depends a bit too much on better-than-average knowledge of the Superman origin story to have a full impact, it ...more
Cyna
This is the kind of Superman story I want to read more often. Hell, this the kind of comic I want to read more often. Rather than focusing on gratuitous action, gore, angst, or fanservice, Superman for All Seasons set out to tell a very quiet, thoughtful, heartfelt story, and it succeeded.

I love that this book made me care, about everyone, even characters I didnt know much about or have much use for. By the end of the first chapter, I cared about Clark, the Kents, Lana Lang, Lois Lane, even Smal
Maya
May 27, 2009 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"These are the choices each of us makes not only to do good, but to inspire good in others."

Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale examine Superman from the perspective of wholesome Americana. The idea here is more or less that Martha and Jonathan Kent make Clark Super, because they and his origins in Smallville instill in him the character to be Super, more than the power.

It's a nice spin on the story, and I'm always charmed by Time Sale's storytelling choices and draftsmanship. It's not my favorite, but it's
Gaurav Vartak
Oct 26, 2015 Gaurav Vartak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
The problem with a lot of Superman stories, I feel, is that the writers tend to get overwhelmed by the range of his powers and thus spend most of the story trying to bring him within the reach of other villains. However, some of the best Superman stories have either unleashed Superman's powers or just considered them a part of who he is and concentrated on telling a good story. 'Superman for All Seasons' falls in the latter category. The book is a collection of four issues, titled Spring, Summer ...more
Cait
I love Tim Sale's art, but I don't know if it really worked for me here. The backgrounds were lovely, especially in Smallville, and Lois was a fabulous Lois indeed, but both Superman and Clark looked occasionally ludicrous. It was a delightfully Supermannish story, though, even if the seasonal narratives felt a little forced.
j
Dec 10, 2014 j rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, 2014
Hey look, a Superman book that made me think Superman was not boring!
Kara
Feb 10, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It’s a tricky thing to present a new version of well known’s character origin. On the one hand, if you completely re-write the whole thing the audience will scream bloody murder at changing the “facts” (…of a fictional person…) but on the other hand, if you stick to the known and familiar, you risk putting the audience to sleep. Radioactive spiders? Bat caves? Been there, done that. It can get tedious when no matter how surprised the character is – the audience is just nodding along, all, yeah,
Tomás
Sep 21, 2015 Tomás rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una de los comics esenciales de Superman que me faltaban leer. Me pareció una historia muy emotiva, optimista. Loeb estaba en su mejor momento y al parecer muy inspirado cuando escribió esto.

El arte de Tim Sale se pasa, este tipo dibuja tan bien que dan ganas de quedarse mirando las viñetas durante varios minutos. Y además los colores Bjarne Hansen ayuda MUCHO a los dibujos.

Me quedo como preferidos a los últimos dos números de la miniserie, el que relata Luthor y el que relata Lana Lang.

5 estre
High Plains Library District
Alright, I'm guessing a lot of you have seen the new Batman/Superman Dawn of Justice movie. And I'm guessing a lot of you have opinions on it.

Rather than belabor the point, I wanted to talk about a depiction of Superman that I loved.

Superman For All Seasons gives us a Superman that we've been missing, and a type of superhero we don't see often enough. Which is to say a kind-hearted, generous, good person.

The Superman movies of late get Superman's powers right. We get the spectacle. We get the b
Samantha
Aug 06, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Superman want-to-know-everything fans
Recommended to Samantha by: ifanboy.com/articles/superman-where-d...
So, I have always loved Superman and I'm at a point where I want to delve deep into the Superman theology and read all I can. Problem is, it's really hard to figure out where to start. Ya, Wiki will tell you what order stuff has been written, but the beginning comics of Superman are pretty cheesy. I wanted to see if there was somewhere else I could start. I came across a website and it recommended this series as one of the first to read. So here we go.

It's a four-issue story that talks about Cla
Michael Emond
Wow. So THAT was overrated. This had been on my radar for a while because it always seems to be on people's TOP GRAPHIC NOVELS list. Now, what I next have to say might upset people who love this book but remember MY disdain of this flimsily written and crudely drawn book does not stop you from loving it. I just need to vent in a public forum. I shouldn't bottle these things up. Admittedly some of my reaction is coming from the overreaction of people who love the book.
First, I have long thought
Travis
May 03, 2011 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll go ahead and give it the 5 star nod. As always the writing from Loeb is excellent although I caught him with a repeat(his "You don't have to ask if you can ask" line was directly from Daredevil Yellow, though I think this came first so maybe he stole it for Daredevil). I was a little uncertain by the artwork at first because the way he draws Superman is a bit...strange, but it makes a lot of sense when you see the nature of the story. The way Tim draws Lana is just amazing, I've never seen ...more
John Cook
This isn't the most epic Superman story ever told. The "action" sequences are actually quite tame compared to some of the more contemporary Superman stories. Instead of dazzling the reader with bizarre plots, ridiculous technology, and over-powered villains, Jeff Loeb returns to the roots of the Superman mythos by exploring what makes Clark Kent super.

This is a coming of age story as Clark learns to adapt to his new powers before deciding what to do with them. He leaves the farm, travels to Met
Daniel
Sep 29, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really a massive fan of Superman, dismissing him as a tedious boy scout of a hero, too powerful and rigidly moral to be interesting to read about. Where's the conflict, the danger?

However, my girlfriend got me watching 'Smallville' recently, which got me interested in seeing where it all came from. This was going cheap in Forbidden Planet, Loeb and Sale did excellent work in 'Long Halloween' with Batman...so I gave it a try.

I'm really glad I did.

Telling the story of Superman (or a story
Nenya
Jun 17, 2015 Nenya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This is pretty much the origin story as usual, with more about his teens than some; I really enjoyed the Kents and the Smallville cast. The Lois here is still Clark's rival, not his friend or love interest yet, and Lex is totes evil. It was a neat touch to have each section (season) narrated by a different person--Pa Kent, Lois, Lex, Lana Lang.

Only three stars because I was more in the mood for Superman having adventures, but it's very good at what it does.
fantastic story 2 20 Jun 13, 2014 06:36AM
  • Superman: Secret Identity
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Superman: Last Son
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • All-Star Superman, Vol. 2
  • Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major
More about Jeph Loeb...

Post-Crisis Superman Chronology (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 1
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 6
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 7
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 8
  • Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

“Believe none of what you hear. Half of what you see. And everything you write.” 10 likes