Start by marking “Parmenides (Philosophical Library)” as Want to Read:
Parmenides (Philosophical Library)

Parmenides (Philosophical Library)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  883 ratings  ·  40 reviews
This is an English translation of one of the more challenging and enigmatic of Plato's dialogues between Socrates and Parmenides and Zeno of Elea, that begins with Zeno defending his treatise of Parmenidean monism against those partisans of plurality.

Focus Philosophical Library translations are close to and are non-interpretative of the original text, with the notes and a
paper, 96 pages
Published January 1st 1996 by Focus (first published -340)

To ask other readers questions about Parmenides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parmenides

Parmenides is the most intriguing of plato's dialogues. I like this dialogue for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, the usual roles are reversed. Socrates here is a young and inexperienced lad and he is the one to be cross examined. Secondly it features Parmenides, whose metaphysics is very interesting. Has a lot of similarities with mahayana buddhism and advaita vedanta.

First part of the dialogue deals with the internal inconsistencies and the incompleteness of the theory of forms. Here Plato critici
Maybe I should have just stuck with Green Eggs and Ham. I’m not really qualified to rate the book, and I didn’t try to struggle through many of the logic puzzles, though the Parmenides seems to be as much about ontology and to some extent language (or at least the verb “to be”) as it is about valid argument. And as is characteristic with Plato, it’s about considerably more, famously presenting serious and unresolved challenges to his Theory of Forms – part epistemology, part ontology, part every ...more
بسام عبد العزيز
"إن الشئ لا يحتاج لأن يصبح مختلفا عما هو مختلف عنه من قبل بيد أنه يختلف الآن بالفعل عما هو مختلف عنه و هو قد أصبح مختلفا عما اختلف عنه و هو سوف يختلف عما سيكون مختلفا عنه أما الشئ الذي في صيرورة الاختلاف فلا يمكن لشئ آخر أن يكون قد اختلف عنه أو عليه أن يختلف عنه أو هو مختلف عنه. إنه يكون في صيرورة الاختلاف عنه ولا يكون علي الإطلاق مختلفا عنه"

"إن ما يجعل الواحد مطابقا يجعله غير مخالف و ما يجعله غير مخالف يجعله ليس غير مشابه و إذا كان ليس غير مشابه كان مشابها و إن ما يجعله آخر يجعله مخالفا و لأنه
After a long hiatus, I picked up Plato's dialogues again in 2005. No review or notes written at the time and I don't recall my thoughts. The only thing I did was quote the following on the Book Talk Forum at BookCrossing:

Parmenides: Then the one which is not, if it is to maintain itself, must have the being of not-being, just as being must have as a bond the not-being of not-being in order to perfect its own being; for the truest assertion of the being of being and of the not-being of not-being
Köksal Kök

3. Baskı, 2001

1-sigara içenler,

1-kitap okuyanlar,

dünyada iki çeşit insan vardır;

1-felsefe, felsefe kitabı okuyanlar, bilenler.

ve nihayet, dünyada iki çeşit insan vardır;

1-platonun bu kitabını okuyanlarr,
2-ve okumayanlar.

kitap o kadar ağır ki, sabı
Another book required for Traditional Cosmologies...
I am so confused: What is the one? Does the one exist in linear or cyclic time? Is the one based on mathematics? Does it promote equality? Is the one many or many one? Does it provide knowledge? Is the one motionless? Does the one truly exist? HELP!!!
Τὸν μὲν τοῦ Πλάτονος Παρμενίδην βραδέως ἀνεγίγνωσκον, οἴομαι δὲ λίαν ταχὺ ἀναγνῶναι · πεντήκοντα γοῦν πτυχὰς ἡμέραις ἑπτὰ κινδύνευμα μόγις σφοδρόν. Πολλὰ δὴ ἐνεστι ἃ χπὴ νοηθῆναι · τοίγαρ τελευτήσας οὐκ ἐπαυόμην τοῦ λόγου ἐνθυούμενος. δεῖ γέ με πάλιν ἀναγιγνώσκειν.
Ardu, je préfère Platon moraliste que métaphysicien.
Most difficult Plato I've read. Part 2 is basically incomprehensible in the Jowett translation, no matter how many times you read it. Looking forward to finding a more thorough analysis of all the deductions made in part 2. There are many mentions of the "one" and the "many" - presumably something to do with (or even referring to) Plato's idea of Forms, which end up being quite confusing. But even in my current state of understanding, I can follow limited trains of thought. There are echoes of m ...more
I read this dialogue and was exhausted by its repetitive and confusing arguments. Only now that I've had time to step away from it and discuss it with others has the true beauty of The Parmenides' message struck me. This book allowed me to see everything as unified in a way I could never conceive of before. Everything: humans, love, mud, table, and injustice are one. It is only because of this connection that we can afford to think of ourselves as separate entities; I can call myself "I" in a co ...more
Bob Nichols
The young Socrates (about 19) gets schooled by Parmenides, the wise old elder, on the notion of oneness and Being. Socrates attempts to be sophisticated in these things but is not so successful. According to Parmenides, one must be properly trained to understand these things (truth, knowledge, forms) and only the very gifted are able to teach such knowledge to others. The dialectic is central if Socrates is “to achieve a full view of the Truth.” Part II of this dialogue has Parmenides going into ...more
My initial reaction to this novel was that I just watched Parmenides and Aristotle re-enact a bizarre ancient Greek version of Laurel and Hardy's "Who is on first?". And that in his early days, Socrates was an insolent brat with his elders.

As I settled in and was able to see past the endless routine that I assume ultimately was the inspiration for Socrates style in his later career, I noted that this was a thorough investigation of God/unity/One and creation/multiplicity/all.

I was drawn to this
The Adventures of Young Socrates in which "The One" is discussed with Parmenides and Zeno. Needless to say "The One" has some issues as a concept, for instance it can't have parts or move, it must be both different than and identical to itself, must both exist and not exist, among other potentially problematic things if things like Difference and Sameness are taken to be Forms rather than simply comparisons between particulars—this is where Derrida comes in to save the day, I guess, or at least ...more
Peter J.
This work was interesting for Plato in that it consisted of Parmenides and Zeno teaching a young Socrates, who more commonly is the protagonist. In addition, this work, as Jowett points out in his analysis, shows the abuses that can be made of the Socratic method. In the proper hands, virtually anything can be "proven" with subtle shifts in meaning during the didactic process. This abuse is still employed by many theologians, social scientists, and philosophers today.
Kelly Head
Virtually incomprehensible, so hence my low rating. Usually, I love Plato, but I had to read the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy article after I read this in order to get anything out of it. Plato's depiction of Socrates as a teenager seeking out the great philosophers of his day, Parmenides and Zeno, is fantastic, however. And, I have to say Parmenides and Zeno may be the coolest romantic couple ever.
This dialogue was the low point for me as I read through the Platonic corpus. I am led to understand that Parmenides is considered by many to be the most challenging and enigmatic of Plato's dialogues. Scholars imply that this is because the dialogue is so deep and meaningful. I have a different explanation. I believe the dialogue is challenging to read because Plato allows his usual interest in philosophical inquiry to descend into nothing more than intellectual onanism.

For example, at one poi
I enjoyed The Adventures of Teen Socrates and his discussion with Zeno. But the later part, the discussion between Parmenides himself and Aristotle(s) on the One, was quite tedious. For one, it's not a dialogue in the least, echoing Sophist and Statesman. And its quasi-theological discussion of the One just didn't interest me.
I found this difficult going. The first half was excellent - Plato challenging his own theories - but the second half got my brain in a twist, since the logic just didn't make sense. It's crying out for someone to come and fix it... which is apparently where Aristotle comes in.
هذه احدى محاورات التي كتبها أفلاطون في بداياته ، حيث أنشأ فيها بداية ملامح نظريته حول نظرية المُثل و لكن باراميندس الأب الروحي للفلسفة الديالكتيكية قام بدحضها ثم قدّم بياناً فلسفيّاً
As with Plato's Sophist of the same series (Focus) I found this translation and the book itself lucid, well laid out and a faithful translation.

The only other edition I stand against it is the one found within the John M. Cooper Complete Works and while the Cooper version (the translator escapes me) reads in a more literary fashion, perhaps more true to the beauty of the Greek, I find myself referencing the Focus edition for clarity's sake.

On top of all of this, it is really quite inexpensive.
What can I say, this dialogue is extremely complex. I've only read it once, and I feel really lost at sea here. What do you apply this dialogue to? It seems clearly epistomological, and at the same time it seems clearly onthological. This is the closest I've seen Plato come to anything I'd call a system of logic, but he ends up rejecting it altogether. Perhaps this for Plato was the proof for Socrates' famous statement "I know that I know nothing".
Oct 17, 2007 Shaun rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Plato enthusiasts
Shelves: philosophy
The beginning of the end for me and Plato. This guy got me into philosophy. (Well, Socrates got me into philosophy.) Difficult is the best way to describe this work. In this dialogue, we start to see Plato questioning his metaphysics (forms,) and the deductions, presented by Good Ole' Father Parmenides, can become mind-boggling at times. Gill's introduction is stellar and the outline is of great use to the reader.
This book certainly ranks number one in the most complex books I have ever read. I used to think Plotinus' Enneads was dense but this book surpasses Plotinus' by leaps and bounds. I guess in order for someone to truly understand this book, one should first carve deep into Plato's philosophy and his mystical meditative way of dialectically reasoning things out before even trying to give the work a fair critique.
James Miller
The early sections of Plato's critique are wonderful - third man etc. The main bulk taken up by Parmenides' exposition elaborates a model that is so far removed from the exciting ideas and fabulous prose of the more popular dialogues (esp. Symposium, Apology etc.) that it requires real focus to keep going and more to follow the point.
Ernesto Priani saiso
Uno de mis diálogos preferidos.
JJ Weber
I won't pretend that I absorbed much on the first pass, but this is fantastic reading. It is either fruitless babble, or a rabbit-hole dialectic that is poignant, troubling, and deeply insightful across multiple domains, i.e. great philosophy.
Rizal Nova Mujahid
Sungguh! Bukan sekedar basa-basi kalo dibilang ini karya plato yang paling nantang, kalo ga mau ngaku ini buku dia yang paling susah.

Sukurlah selese bacanya. Tapi belun bisa ngereview. Gak sanggup review buku kayak gini. Ampun dah.

Jan 03, 2008 Stacey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stacey by: College
I think the best review come from a fellow classmate of mine:
"Reading this book makes you feel like you are on an acid trip, and I should know; I do acid all the time."
...I wonder what he thought on Plotinus...
Aug 20, 2007 Mailene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who's into this
screwed my head the first few pages then later was able to cope with it, nice read erm.. a good book to read when you're building your philosophical foundation and stuff
This is a difficult dialogue to read. The question of "The Forms" and the problem of "The One and the Many" seem to be at the core of this dialogue.
A non formal analysis out of Plato’s Parmenide excerpts 1 5 Oct 16, 2013 02:02PM
  • On Generation and Corruption (Large Print)
  • Proslogion
  • Philoctetes
  • Monadology
  • The New Organon
  • Epitome of Copernican Astronomy and Harmonies of the World
  • Philosophical Fragments (Writings, Vol 7)
  • The Annals/The Histories
  • An Introduction to Metaphysics
  • Hippolytus
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most
More about Plato...
The Republic The Trial and Death of Socrates The Symposium Apology Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo