Start by marking “Danziger’s Britain” as Want to Read:
Danziger’s Britain

Danziger’s Britain

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Nick Danziger began his journey in June 1994, as newspapers and magazines throughout the land commemorated the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landings and recalled the Allies' war aims (to afford assurance that all men in all lands may live out their lives in freedom from fear and want).
Published August 19th 2011 by Flamingo

To ask other readers questions about Danziger’s Britain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danziger’s Britain

James Barker
This book was more than a little frustrating. Back in 1994, Danziger, a photographer, decided to investigate the UK's underclass and, unsurprisingly, found it in every direction he turned. While there were some local variations to the cause and nature of the poverty he encountered, there is an overwhelming sense of forgotten communities, with elders grieving over dead industries and lost security while the young, who have never known any better, escape the hopelessness through crime, drug and al ...more
Tariq Mahmood
May 15, 2015 Tariq Mahmood rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, british
For someone like me, raised in a third world country with a history of being colonized for hundreds of years by Britain, the mere thought that poverty even exists in Great Britain was blasphemous. Nick;s anthropological study of the poor and the destitute is certainly an eye opener.

If I compare the poor from my native country (Pakistan) to the lives of the poor in Nick's Britain, the striking difference is that the Pakistani poor are well adjusted in their limited surroundings unlike British po
Lucy
Nov 10, 2015 Lucy rated it it was ok
I only read two of the chapters, on the Scottish highlands and Glasgow. Even just reading those, I could tell I wouldn't like the rest of the book. I felt it was kind of shallow.
sisterimapoet
Mar 27, 2008 sisterimapoet rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction08
I liked the approach of this book, the way the author went to each place without a clear plan of what he would do, or who he would talk to. It allowed for stories to emerge without feeling people were put under a spotlight.

However by the end of the book I did feel a bit bleaked out, by essentially hearing the same story retold time and time again with only slight differences as to the why and the how if not the what.

I also kept dwelling on the lingering question - this book was written over 10 y
minnie
Nov 27, 2007 minnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this a few years ago,a travel book with a difference.The writer travels around Britain and Northern Ireland to cities and small towns,visiting the no-go areas where he meets drug dealers, street kids, the homeless and various poverty stricken people on the fringes of society.I remember this book as being a real eye opener, and also a fairly depressing but well written look at modern society.
Doug Geier
Sep 14, 2015 Doug Geier rated it really liked it
Scary and creepy--I read this on a trip in England--it got soaked in a downpour and swelled to twice its original width
Hazel
Oct 11, 2007 Hazel rated it it was amazing
A stark picture of real life in the most disadvantaged areas of Britain
Ron S
Ron S added it
Mar 24, 2016
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Dorothyredboots
Dorothyredboots marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Anthony James
Anthony James marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Sharon4
Sharon4 rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Bucky
Bucky marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Luke Marsden
Luke Marsden rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Jamie Collins
Jamie Collins rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Catherine Borlase
Catherine Borlase rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Helen
Helen added it
Jul 04, 2015
John R
John R marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Sarah O'connor
Sarah O'connor marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Mike Colley
Mike Colley rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015