Start by marking “You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together” as Want to Read:
You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together (You Read to Me, I'll Read to You)

Join the fun as familiar fairy tale characters take starring roles in this latest addition to the New York Times bestselling series YOU READ TO ME, I'LL READ TO YOU. Designed with budding readers in mind, each of the tales is set in three columns with color-coded type as a script for two voices to read separately and together. These tales with a twist will delight and amus ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about You Read to Me, I'll Read to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Read to Me, I'll Read to You

Whitney
Jul 20, 2016 Whitney rated it really liked it
Norah and I loved reading this together. The fairy tales are rearranged to avoid offending those who believe children should only read stories where everyone is nice and a good role model - but other than that, it's a great book.
Dawn Draper
What a creative little book. It will be great for students reading in pairs or a teacher reading with a child. A great way to introduce reading parts, as in a play, as well. The book is set up in "parts" to be read by different readers or one reader using different voices. The "parts" are differentiated by color. Stories include; The Three Bears, Jack and the Beanstalk, Cinderella, Three Billy Goats Gruff and a few more. Each story ends with, "you read to me and i will read to you." which is a f ...more
Betsy
Apr 23, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I have been having a lot of fun reading this book together--short fairy tales arranged as easy-to-read antiphonal poetry. Each person's "part" or column is color coded so the new reader can easily find his/her part. Even one of my twins has been able to read with my daughter. Bonus: the illustrations are cute and nicely varied in ethnicity. I think children will enjoy this more if they have a good background in the usual fairy tales first (Little Red Riding Hood, Princess and the ...more
(NS)Jennifer Reiner
Nov 10, 2009 (NS)Jennifer Reiner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book has eight fairy tales. The book is laid out so two voices can read-aloud each poem. The placement and different colored text show the different parts. One line is shown in orange, and the other, magenta. Each fairy tale poem ends with the line, "You read to me. I'll read to you." The entire fairy tale is not used in each poem, instead, a selection is chosen and used to retell experiences that will keep the children engaged and reading. Each selection has a happy ending. Each poem is sm ...more
Nicole Scheu
Summary: This book is a collection of traditional literature books of our favorite fairy-tales. The book is set up with two voices, in two colors for yourself and another person to read. This book has traditional reading techniques such as alliteration, rhyme, repetition, and short sentences.

Characteristics that support the genre: These stories are traditional fairy-tales that have been passed down for generations.

Mentor writing traits:
Ideas-Each story has its own theme. Most of the themes sh
Allison Moore
Mar 30, 2014 Allison Moore rated it it was amazing
"You Read to Me, I'll Read to Yo: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together" is a great folklore book for all ages! This book takes the reader through 8 fairy tales that have a new twist on them. Each fairy tale is written in two columns and three different colors. These colors represent who will read each small stanza. You can read this in pairs, alone, or all together. The fairy tales are also set in poem form, which allows the text to flow with a rhythm.
This book would be a great way to incorp
Tina
Oct 05, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it
Reading Level: Pre-K
Genre: Picture Book, Folklore
Review: This is part of the You Read to Me, I'll Read to You series. Stories are broken up into speaking roles. They are written simply and rhyme throughout. This series has been said to help children read, and I can see that it would be helpful in doing that, as it would allow an adult to help a child work through simple material. The folktales in this book are not traditional, however, and have been changed to be more comedic and relevant for a
Natalie Sabbath
Oct 25, 2012 Natalie Sabbath rated it liked it
You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
Main Characters: All kinds of Fairy Tale Characters
POV: First Person

Summary: “You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together,” retold by, Mary Ann Hoberman and illustrated by Michael Emberley, is a fun and interactive collection of fairy tales provided in an original way. There are eight different fairy tale accounts retold in “You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Toget
April Poulter
Jan 15, 2014 April Poulter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january
I LOVED this book! It has to be read out loud with a partner to get the full effect, but it is truly a fun read! I really like the way it is formatted so that two readers are each assigned a part. The rhyming verses of each story make it easy to read. I really like how Mary Ann Hoberman put the reader in the shoes of the characters and showed different perspectives. I also really like how she made it so that the characters became friends in the end. Besides being a lot of fun, this book teaches ...more
Emily Miller
Feb 17, 2014 Emily Miller rated it it was amazing
This series of books is great for young readers, but also fun for any reader. This poetry book takes fairy tales, condenses them, and adds a fun twist to the traditional tale. There are color coded lines which enable to readers to read back and forth. They would be great for shared reading or even to turn into a short reader's theater in the classroom. I think students would enjoy the idea of reading with someone and taking ownership of certain parts.
Mari
Oct 02, 2014 Mari rated it really liked it
This is such a wonderful book. The stories in this book are clever. These stories are what happens after the actual fairytale story. This is a fun read with kids and is easy to act out. I love how you can read with children and add character to the voices in the story. The illustrations are very fun and add to the story. It is not enough to just look at the pictures. It makes you use your imagination. It is a great read and a wonderful theatre book.
Kaylee
Jan 22, 2015 Kaylee rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
I really loved reading this book. It was entertaining, and very engaging. I think it would be awesome to have students read together, because they are able to use their imagination and creativity to make the voices and possibly even set up props. I liked that the fairy tales were slightly modified to add an element of surprise and some humor. The passages are also fun because they rhyme, and you can talk with a rhythm.
Kalee
Oct 02, 2014 Kalee rated it really liked it
This was such a fantastic readers theater type book for children! The short renditions of classic fairy tales are really brought to life in a fun and exciting way! Would be great to use in a young children's theater class or at home with your children! They are nice and short and easy to read for young readers. They are also rhyming which could go great into a English lesson and make it fun and exciting for the students!
Kayleena Nielson
Oct 02, 2014 Kayleena Nielson rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book because first off I love fairy tales and second off I love reading with people and taking turns. These stories were so cute! With the princess and the pea I loved how it helps the students see the perspectives of both the pea and the princess. The art work was really great too. Not only that, but color coding each person and when they speak together just made it flat out amazing.
Katie Hogge
Feb 01, 2015 Katie Hogge rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
These short scripts were so cute. I really enjoyed reading them allowed with another person, and they actually made me laugh. The "You Read to Me, I'll Read to You" books have such a unique take on different stories children have heard all growing up. I especially loved this one because of the twists on the classic fairy tales. They're stories familiar to children, and they create a fun environment for kids to play and act on.
Brittany
Oct 02, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I loved this book. It would definitely be fun to read out loud in any setting, but especially in a classroom. I had a lot of fun doing it myself! I would give this book a five out five. The book is colorful, fun, the poems are written in a clever way, and it explores the same childhood tall tales we have been reading in a different light. It was great!
Madi Sharp
Jan 27, 2015 Madi Sharp rated it it was amazing
I loved Mary Ann Hoberman's edition of this book. I thought it was very cute and catchy. There was always a good ending that came out of her short stories. The message was that anyone can be friends. It was a fun book that involves the children. I think that they would have so much fun together while working on their reading as well.
Whitney Summers
Jan 23, 2015 Whitney Summers rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
This book was a fun interactive way for children to read. The stories were darling and not like all other fairy tales. I can see this being very popular among kids who are learning to read or trying to get interested in reading because this is something both child and parent can do together or just students can do together.
Haily Kokinakis
Jan 20, 2014 Haily Kokinakis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january
I love love LOVED this book! I read it with a friend in class and we were having so much fun with it! I think this is perfect to read with your children during story time or even bedtime. The fairytales are short enough but not too short. This would also be great for a child who is still getting a grasp on the whole idea of reading. It allows them to learn and participate in reading time. I really enjoyed this book and will be getting myself a copy for my future class room!
Karissa
Jan 23, 2015 Karissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 06-theater
I think these dialogue books are awesome! They are great for kids to read together or for parents to read with their children. Children can practice dramatizing their voice while working on fluency. For teachers, they can extend these mini scripts into dialogue performances - possibilities are endless :)
Chelsea Merkley
Feb 18, 2016 Chelsea Merkley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book today with my 7 year old, he read to me and I read to him. The poem beat in this book is very fun!!! It took us about 10 minutes to read it all together. He is a very advanced 1st Grade Reader though. Probably better for 2nd Graders.
Ashley Whaley
Oct 07, 2014 Ashley Whaley rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I think this book is the perfect book for young readers. They will enjoy the stories and illustrations. I also think a good lesson to apply with reading this book is to have students write their own short fairytale and be the illustrator of their own book.
Lindsay
Theme: Poetry reading, twist on fairy tales

The book is set up for two voices (each voice written in either orange or magenta). Eight fimilar fairy tales are told with humorous pictures to go with each tale. The tales all end with a line for both readers, "you read to me, I read to you."

I know this will become an instant favorite in the classroom where the kids will be able to read it with a partner. I am excited to use the poems in guided reading groups as well.

Classroom Connections: Read the p
Jameisha
Sep 15, 2012 Jameisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
I think this would be a good read aloud book because it is something that can be read together as a class or by a few students in the class. Children would enjoy this book because it is different fairy tales, told in rhyme, that tell stories they know a little bit differently, because the characters tell their story in the conversation they are having with each other. For example, Cinderella is one of the fairy tales in the book. Cinderella talks then her step sisters talk, and it goes back and ...more
Apr 24, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love the color coding. Sometimes the pictures were a little distracting. This is a great station for fluency

Rhyming Poetry
Cinderella
little red Hen
3 Billy Goats Grufff
The Eng
Nancy
Dec 31, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Fun book to read with my grandson, a beginning reader. We each read a little bit. Plan to continue with Very Short Scary Tales via Facetime after he goes back home.
Readergirl77
Mar 05, 2016 Readergirl77 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nathans-shelf
Tales are broken into three colors. You read one, your child reads the other, and you both read the third. Nathan enjoyed this one.
Robin Rousu
Feb 21, 2015 Robin Rousu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: er, folk-fairy-tales
I have liked these as a librarian, now I love them as a parent. Brilliant concept, well-executed. Highly recommended for ages 5-10.
Haley
Jan 22, 2015 Haley rated it really liked it
It was really fun to read this book with another person! I enjoyed doing that and thought that acting part was fun!
Debbie Madrid
Jul 31, 2015 Debbie Madrid rated it it was amazing
Wonderful way to spend some time with your children, short funny stories that make reading easy and fun.
  • Wolf! Wolf!
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, Creak, Pop-Pop, Moo
  • A Second Is A Hiccup
  • Barbie: Thumbelina
  • May I Please Have a Cookie?
  • Suki's Kimono
  • Say Hello
  • A Hatful of Seuss: Five Favorite Dr. Seuss Stories: Horton Hears A Who! / If I Ran the Zoo / Sneetches / Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book / Bartholomew and the Oobleck
  • Silent Letters Loud and Clear
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Waking Beauty
  • Yours Truly, Goldilocks
Work with her local Connecticut chapter of the Literacy Volunteers of America inspired her to create this series of books to encourage reading. She enjoys reading with her grandchildren.
More about Mary Ann Hoberman...

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You (5 books)
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Scary Tales to Read Together