The Lady with the Alligator Purse

The Lady with the Alligator Purse

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  68 reviews
These redesigned versions of song adaptations include new text. The old jump rope/nonsense rhyme features an ailing young Tiny Tim.
Published September 1st 2003 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady with the Alligator Purse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady with the Alligator Purse

Vivian
This illustrated version of the fun song includes the melody. (If you're like me and can't read music, follow this link to hear it sung: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUvfuS... ).

This story is fun to share in a library story time setting, especially if you throw in a few actions. For instance, when we sang "He tried to eat the bathtub but it wouldn't go down his throat", we stopped and mimed blowing a bubble (putting both hands up to mouth as if they were the bubble). We added a refrain here: "...more
Brooke
The Lady with the Alligator Purse by Nadine Bernard Westcott is a goofy little poem for children in the nursery age group. It is about a young boy, Tiny Tim, who has a peculiar and never ending appetite. His mother proceeds to call the doctor, the nurse, and the lady with the alligator purse! In the end, the lady with the alligator purse suggests that Tiny Tim needs pizza to cure him. This is a pretty short book and is a great pick for new readers. The repetition and simplicity makes it easy for...more
Pamela ☼where's my aspirin☼ Tee
This is a fun board that features goofy humor and a great rhyme. The story is about a baby who is given a bath. Baby drinks all the water and even tries to swallow the tub. This makes mom frantic and she calls a doctor, a nurse, and the lady with the alligator purse.

The doctor and nurse have their own ideas of what needs to be done, but the lady with the purse suggests pizza. Which gets my vote.

Makes for a great read-aloud. This is a fun little story to share.

--doctor's office copy
Belise Michel
This is a silly book that is associated with a silly song. It is great tool to use to build up vocabulary in young readers.
Crystal Lough
The Lady with the Alligator Purse is a poetry book. It is designed for primary students. In the story there's a little boy named tim who eats everything from inside the bath tub. He got sick so mom called a doctor, nurse, and lady with an alligator purse. The doctor and nurse wanted to give him medicine but the lady with the alligator purse said, "non sense!" and gave him pizza. He was better and she left. I gave this book 5 stars because I truly enjoyed it and I think children would enjoy it as...more
Hannah Delaughter
This book was a really short poetry picture book. It was about a mom that had a son and was trying to call for help to figure out what was wrong. She called in a doctor, a nurse and a lady with an alligator purse. The doctor and the nurse were stating he might have a illness, but the lady with the alligator purse didn't think so. Then the doctor and nurse were trying to figure out whether or not to give him medicine, but the lady with the alligator purse just gave him pizza. The illustrations f...more
Emily Mateos
Grade/interest level: Primary (Kindergarten)
Reading level: No lexile level available
Genre: Poetry/Picture book

Main Characters: Miss Lucy, Tiny Tim, The Lady with the alligator purse
Setting: The home of Miss Lucy and Tiny Tim
POV: 3rd person Narration

This is a wonderfully illustrated book that is cute and funny. It begins with Miss Lucy having a baby named Tiny Tim and she puts him in a bathtub to see if he is able to swim. It turns out, Tiny Tim has quite the appetite and eats all the soap, drin...more
Robert Beveridge
Nadine Bernard Westcott, The Lady with the Alligator Purse (Little, Brown, 1988)

My wife tells me (as does the book's cover) that this is a relatively common sing-along song for kids. I'd never heard it before seeing this book. Actually I still haven't, so I've no idea if I'm reading it “right” when I read it to the kid. Fun little story, I always get a laugh out of the first few lines and Davey cheers when the titular Lady prescribes pizza for the baby's ills. The illustrations are capable, if n...more
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary a classic sing song book with funny illustrations
Annotation this book is really meant to be sung It visually shows the story of Miss Lucy's baby - Tiny Tim and the old lady and their adventures. Also, kids (and adults) like any sickness that can be cured with pizza!
Age appropriateness 0-5
Connection to six early literacy skills phonological awareness. The sing song and rhyming pattern make this a good choice to increase phonological awareness.
Five practices it best represents is son...more
Amanda
Love this board book! And from reading the reviews I hear it's a nursery song! Going to have to look it up!

Oh! It's to the tune of "Miss Mary Mack"

Mandy Scheuren
Nadine Bernard Westcott did an excellent job illustrating this children’s book by using watercolor and ink. Each illustration covers the entire page. It is cute to see all the detail Westcott put into her work. For example, while Tiny Time was getting himself wrapped up with his mother’s yarn, there is a cat hiding behind the chair giggling. This is a great book for children to see how observant they can be, possibly how many pictures they can find on one page. The colors are very vibrant which...more
Bree
This is a very funny story that all kids love! It goes with a song that I admit is very catchy. It is about a little boy who's bath time turns upside down and leads to many visitors who try to make him better. I work at a pre-school and they have made me love this book even more than I did when I was younger. This is our main song we sing when we go on field trips, during circle, or just at random times. However, what makes me like it more now as an (almost) educator is that since the kids know...more
Muse Here
Cute rhyming story that doesn't make too much sense, but is funny and enjoyable. I recall this being a clapping game when I was younger, and was glad to see it in print to help me remember the words. The illustrations are very cute and entertaining and fit well with the humorous words.
Taylor Darst
A funny book to read with children. It had a few rhyming sentences that were fun to read.
Mary
My new very most favorite children's book ... currently reading it over & over & over & over .... to my 18 month old grandson who has a new baby brother. He hands it up to me any time I sit down, am in the same room with him, when he stops long enough to need a snuggle, when he bounces (always) and crawls into my lap to ride the rhythm of the words and zero in to point on every what's-it in the illustrations. I'll just have to spend more time at his house, is all!
MAP
One of my only positive memories of my grandfather comes from him reading this book to me when I was very little, but instead of just saying "lady with the alligator purse" over and over again, he changed animals, so sometimes it was a opossum purse, or an elephant purse, etc.

So this book has a special place in my heart because of that. The rest of my memories of my grandfather are pretty much filled with stark terror/intimidation.
Leslie
Jun 18, 2009 Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children of all ages
Shelves: children-s-lit
What a wonderful adaptation of one our long time family favorite songs. I've sung this song to my son during baths beginning with his very first. We love how this one has an unexpected, but delightful ending. What a treat and the illustrations are bright, colorful with wonderful details. You'll want to read it throught for the silly song, then start over to absorb all the details in the brilliant illustrations.
June
Feb 12, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rhyming and doctor requests
Really silly story of a baby who drank the bath water and ate the soap. "He tried to eat the bathtub, But it wouldn't go down his throat." A doctor, nurse and the lady with the alligator purse are called. I bet you can guess who has the most popular remedy.

Since the PreK - 4s were a bit antsy. I picked this silly story to read to them.
June
Jan 13, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humor and doctor/nurse requests
The silliness almost always makes this the hit of my "sick" story time.
Arianne Mae
Another childhood favourite. This book was read/sung to me many times before bed, it was extremely entertaining. I should make it a goal to find this book and read it again. For any parents out there, a must read for your children, so go and get it now and read it tonight to your children because it's awesome!
Amanda
"PIZZA," said the lady with the alligator purse is a great line, and one kids like to shout with you when you read this aloud. It's impossible to read this one without falling into a rhythmic songlike style, similar to Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed.
Rll52013_andrea
Let's not forget the importance of jump rope rhymes and hand clapping games when it come to the genre of poetry! This book is a modern classic and Westcott has even brought it down in the form a board book for the very youngest of readers. Neat!
Lain
My preschooler gets such a kick out of this book! It's a simple rhyming story that even your youngest will have memorized in no time. But the cute, detailed pictures will be entertaining enough to keep older kids entertained, too.
Carol
It was fun to revisit this song I remember from Elementary school days. However, I don't think my son appreciated my singing efforts! Cute illustrations - I love how the cat and dog were involved in each picture somehow.
Eric Johnson
This book made me laugh a little bit because of the literal take on the alligator purse. The book was interesting, but I was not a big fan of the illustrations that were in it. There was a lot of white space in the pictures.
Megan Coloutti
A family favorite, both of my girls had this book memorized, before they learned how to read. A little sick boy has a few visitors one day to help figure out what is wrong with him and how to treat it!
Seher Patka
This book has a funny rhyme which children enjoy. This book would be intended for kindergarten and first grade. Also, it could be a good book to look at the writer's craft.
Jennie Dyer
I read this book to my youngest daughter. She loved it. She thought the part were Tim tried to eat the bath tub was very funny. We read it several times. A silly read. :)
Amy
This is one of my favorite books. It's a bit older but very cute. It is a picture book of a poem and there is a song to go with it. It has flowing language and repetitive lines.
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • Oops! A Diaper David Book
  • I Like Me!
  • Big Little
  • Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Jump!
  • Mommies Say Shhh!
  • The Babies on the Bus
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Here Are My Hands
  • This Jazz Man
Nadine Bernard Westcott is the illustrator of many popular books for children, including Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash and Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash, as well as the author and illustator of The Lady With The Alligator Purse. She used to spend many hours chasing after her dog, who would come home only when ready and not a minute sooner. Ms. Westcott lives on Nantucket with her husband, B...more
More about Nadine Bernard Westcott...
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme Skip to My Lou I've Been Working on the Railroad Never Take a Pig to Lunch: And Other Poems about the Fun of Eating