Start by marking “Before The Storm: An utterly unforgettable tale of love, family and secrets” as Want to Read:
Before The Storm: An utterly unforgettable tale of love, family and secrets

Before The Storm: An utterly unforgettable tale of love, family and secrets

On an autumn day in 1909 wealthy young Richard Finborough catches sight of twenty-year-old Isabel Zeale at the harbour at Lynmouth in Devon. Her beauty captivates him. Aware of shameful secrets in her past, Isabel has no intention of letting anyone into her life, but Richard's persistence and ardour eventually win him her trust - and her hand in marriage. The decades pass ...more
Published July 10th 2008 by Headline Review (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Before The Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before The Storm

Littlebookworm
Jun 04, 2015 Littlebookworm rated it really liked it
Before the Storm follows the Finborough family, starting from one autumn day in 1909, when Richard Finborough, findng himself marooned in Devon, catches sight of Isabel Zeale by the harbour at Lynmouth. Richard is captivated by her from the very beginning, however, Isabel is not an easy woman to pursue. The village is rife with gossip about her mysterious past, and as such Isabel keeps herself to herself, shunning Richard's attempts to become better acquainted with her; Richard however is not a ...more
Yvette
May 13, 2012 Yvette rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I read this book two months ago, and I'm going to read it again. I gave it three stars because while I enjoyed reading the book, I thought there were too many viewpoints, too many characters, and too many storylines - although a couple of them were compelling.

What I loved about this book, and the reason I'm reading it again - the characters. They are numerous and all are flawed in very compelling ways. In particular, the two main characters, Richard Finborough and the woman he marries, Isabel Ze
Yvonne
Mar 22, 2017 Yvonne rated it liked it
"It's not for anything, my dear. It's a journey."

We live life focused on the destination and in the process we miss the entire journey.

Life is a series of twists and turns, dead ends, beginings and endings. A decision made today may haunt is in the future but that shouldn't stop us from living. All we can do is the best with what we have.

And enjoy the journey. Take the hidden paths. Try the unconventional. Dare to live when most are not even brave enough to breathe.
Rachel Brand
Jul 31, 2010 Rachel Brand rated it really liked it
The best way I can describe this book is as a good summer read. Although the 600+ pages might seem daunting, this is an easy read and I plowed through it in three days. A great historical blockbuster that spans two generations of a family from the turn of the twentieth century until the end of WWII, this is perfect is you like romance, family sagas or historical settings. I'll admit that Lennox didn't exactly delve deep into the emotions of the characters - difficult with such a large cast - and ...more
Yang Shu-yuan
Sep 27, 2009 Yang Shu-yuan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bei einer Autopanne begegnet der Frauenschwarm Richard der jungen Isabel, einer Frau aus eher kleinen Verhältnissen. Umso erstaunter ist der Gutsbesitzersohn, als sie ihn zurückweist. Dennoch verliebt er sich in sie - eine Liebe, die chancenlos scheint und trotzdem in eine Ehe mündet, die viele Stürme des Schicksals überdauern soll. Doch Isabel verpasst den Zeitpunkt, um ihrem Mann von ihrer Vergangenheit zu erzählen. Denn es gibt ein Geheimnis, das sie und diejenigen, die sie am meisten liebt, ...more
Henni
Judith Lennox er en blanding af Danielle Steel og Kate Morton tilsat en smule Ken Follett. Floden og havet er egentlig en OK bog, men det er ligesom om Lennox har svært ved at vælge om hun skriver en slægtsbog eller en kærlighedsfortælling og hen mod den sidste del af bogen bliver der så også tilsat en masse historie da 2. verdenskrig rammer og Lennox (i modsætning til 1. verdenskrig som også indgår i bogen) fletter en masse historiske facts ind.

Men på trods af stilforvirringen er det en fin his
Rina
Jul 19, 2012 Rina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eine historische Liebesgeschichte
... die über einen langen Zeitraum geht. Vom zarten Kennenlernen bis zur Ehe und mehr. Eine ganz normale junge Frau zog gerade in ein neues Haus ein und lernt dort ein Mann kennen, der sie von Anfang an sehr in seinen Bann zieht. Noch ahnt sie nicht, dass er von einem höheren Stand ist. Doch das stört die beiden Verliebten letztendlich wenig.

Insgesamt eine wunderschöne historische Liebesgeschichte, wo nicht immer alles Friede, Freude, Eierkuchen ist, sondern die
Karen Wolff
Nov 10, 2015 Karen Wolff rated it liked it
Set in Cornwall and London, this story is follows the life and loves of a family and their extended family members.

Interestingly for me, there is a character called Anton Wolff, spelt the same way we spell our surname, quite unusual; another character who is a bigamist, also of interest to me from a historical family perspective. My family will understand my interest in this strand.

The ending was a little too neatly packaged for me, but this was an enjoyable read all the same.

I looked forward to
Bowerbird
Jan 25, 2010 Bowerbird rated it liked it
Probably a good holiday read. I found parts of this book very annoying as it seemed to skip over events. Perhpas because of this I didn't feel the story started properly until about the middle of the book when the family had grown up.
If I could have given it 2.5 rather than 3 stars I would have done so.
The Katie
I enjoyed the author brought in enough characters that the plot wasn't always obvious. The flip side being is some of these characters I felt didn't get enough development.

Also the end I felt was left with some characters not getting enough closure.(review 2011)

Update-reread August 2016 I nearly forgot everything fromteh first time I read it. I enjoyed it more the second time around.
Lara
Jul 29, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book, but found on occasions that it jumped around quite a bit. I also found that the author went into great depth as to how Phillip and Elaine got together, then you didnt hear anyhting else about them apart from an odd mention. However, all this aside, its a great family saga, and well worth reading.
Leanne Hunt
Jan 11, 2013 Leanne Hunt rated it liked it
This was a long though easy read, full of excellent descriptions of London during the war. Many stories wove their way through the narrative, keeping the action moving forward. While the book did not move me profoundly, it was entertaining and absorbing throughout.
Suzanne Siermann
Nice historical family saga during the interbellum. The book starts with the marriage of Isabel and Richard and continues with the lives of their children. Then a ghost from Isabel's past comes by and the book end again with Isabel Richard.

I really enjoyed reading it.
Vivienne
Nov 14, 2013 Vivienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book really covered the way things were in this era how hard it was for women and mens attitude to them. I liked the way the characters were written. But wasn't expecting the the way Nick Chance had died.
Rachel
Oct 27, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Not very original but entertaining family saga.
Ozone-nut/ Zoe
Jul 19, 2008 Ozone-nut/ Zoe rated it really liked it
took me the best part of a day to read this as it's quite meaty.
Lynn
Feb 11, 2011 Lynn rated it really liked it
Characters well drawn, time scale broad but believable, premise worked too. A good read.
Su
Sep 29, 2012 Su rated it liked it

A reasonable family saga, not totally gripped but was glad I finished it as the ending was ok
Kathi
Jul 28, 2011 Kathi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wunderbar!
Kathy
Jul 04, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
Really great read - enjoyed the different perspectives of all the characters in the story. Set during & between WW1 & WW2
Elin
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2016
claudia sanmiguel
claudia sanmiguel rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Mimi
Mimi rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2010
Marisa
Marisa rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Martina Spiteri
Martina Spiteri rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2009
Julie Facey
Julie Facey rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2014
  • Stirpe
  • Come Away With Me
  • Jacaranda Vines
  • Hidden Talents
  • The Golden Cup
  • Lucky Girl
  • Das Vermächtnis der Wanderhure (Die Wanderhure, #3)
  • Herzsprung
  • Trade Winds
  • Stalin's Children: Three Generations of Love and War
  • The Harrogate Secret
  • Un roman russe
  • Die Dienstagsfrauen (Die Dienstagsfrauen #1)
  • Canale Mussolini
  • The Blindness of the Heart
  • Sundowners
  • New York
  • Ars Magica
Aka Judith Lennox-Smith

Judith Lennox lives in Cambridgeshire, England with her husband and three sons.
More about Judith Lennox...