Start by marking “Before The Storm” as Want to Read:
Before The Storm

Before The Storm

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  18 reviews
On an autumn day in 1909 wealthy young Richard Finborough catches sight of twenty-year-old Isabel Zeale at the harbour at Lynmouth in Devon. Her beauty captivates him. Aware of shameful secrets in her past, Isabel has no intention of letting anyone into her life, but Richard's persistence and ardour eventually win him her trust - and her hand in marriage. The decades pass ...more
Published July 10th 2008 by Headline Review (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Before The Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before The Storm

Rachel Brand
The best way I can describe this book is as a good summer read. Although the 600+ pages might seem daunting, this is an easy read and I plowed through it in three days. A great historical blockbuster that spans two generations of a family from the turn of the twentieth century until the end of WWII, this is perfect is you like romance, family sagas or historical settings. I'll admit that Lennox didn't exactly delve deep into the emotions of the characters - difficult with such a large cast - and ...more
Yvette
I read this book two months ago, and I'm going to read it again. I gave it three stars because while I enjoyed reading the book, I thought there were too many viewpoints, too many characters, and too many storylines - although a couple of them were compelling.

What I loved about this book, and the reason I'm reading it again - the characters. They are numerous and all are flawed in very compelling ways. In particular, the two main characters, Richard Finborough and the woman he marries, Isabel Ze
Yang Shu-yuan
Bei einer Autopanne begegnet der Frauenschwarm Richard der jungen Isabel, einer Frau aus eher kleinen Verhältnissen. Umso erstaunter ist der Gutsbesitzersohn, als sie ihn zurückweist. Dennoch verliebt er sich in sie - eine Liebe, die chancenlos scheint und trotzdem in eine Ehe mündet, die viele Stürme des Schicksals überdauern soll. Doch Isabel verpasst den Zeitpunkt, um ihrem Mann von ihrer Vergangenheit zu erzählen. Denn es gibt ein Geheimnis, das sie und diejenigen, die sie am meisten liebt, ...more
Rina
Eine historische Liebesgeschichte
... die über einen langen Zeitraum geht. Vom zarten Kennenlernen bis zur Ehe und mehr. Eine ganz normale junge Frau zog gerade in ein neues Haus ein und lernt dort ein Mann kennen, der sie von Anfang an sehr in seinen Bann zieht. Noch ahnt sie nicht, dass er von einem höheren Stand ist. Doch das stört die beiden Verliebten letztendlich wenig.

Insgesamt eine wunderschöne historische Liebesgeschichte, wo nicht immer alles Friede, Freude, Eierkuchen ist, sondern die
Henni
Judith Lennox er en blanding af Danielle Steel og Kate Morton tilsat en smule Ken Follett. Floden og havet er egentlig en OK bog, men det er ligesom om Lennox har svært ved at vælge om hun skriver en slægtsbog eller en kærlighedsfortælling og hen mod den sidste del af bogen bliver der så også tilsat en masse historie da 2. verdenskrig rammer og Lennox (i modsætning til 1. verdenskrig som også indgår i bogen) fletter en masse historiske facts ind.

Men på trods af stilforvirringen er det en fin his
Lara
I did enjoy this book, but found on occasions that it jumped around quite a bit. I also found that the author went into great depth as to how Phillip and Elaine got together, then you didnt hear anyhting else about them apart from an odd mention. However, all this aside, its a great family saga, and well worth reading.
Bowerbird
Probably a good holiday read. I found parts of this book very annoying as it seemed to skip over events. Perhpas because of this I didn't feel the story started properly until about the middle of the book when the family had grown up.
If I could have given it 2.5 rather than 3 stars I would have done so.
Leanne Hunt
This was a long though easy read, full of excellent descriptions of London during the war. Many stories wove their way through the narrative, keeping the action moving forward. While the book did not move me profoundly, it was entertaining and absorbing throughout.
The Katie
I enjoyed the author brought in enough characters that the plot wasn't always obvious. The flip side being is some of these characters I felt didn't get enough development.

Also the end I felt was left with some characters not getting enough closure.
Vivienne
I thought this book really covered the way things were in this era how hard it was for women and mens attitude to them. I liked the way the characters were written. But wasn't expecting the the way Nick Chance had died.
Kathy
Really great read - enjoyed the different perspectives of all the characters in the story. Set during & between WW1 & WW2
Su

A reasonable family saga, not totally gripped but was glad I finished it as the ending was ok
Marijke
dit boek van judith lennox ook weer in 1 adem uitgelezen..ga zeker meer boeken van haar lezen..
Lynn
Characters well drawn, time scale broad but believable, premise worked too. A good read.
Ozone-nut/ Zoe
took me the best part of a day to read this as it's quite meaty.
Rachel
Not very original but entertaining family saga.
Sue
Ms. Beak In A Book
Ms. Beak In A Book marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Angela Davies
Angela Davies marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Pip
Pip marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Jane Mcclelland
Jane Mcclelland marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hidden Talents
  • Lucky Girl
  • Das Vermächtnis der Wanderhure (Die Wanderhure, #3)
  • Stalin's children : three generations of love and betrayal
  • Bride Flight
  • Sunflower Forest
  • Footsteps
Aka Judith Lennox-Smith

Judith Lennox lives in Cambridgeshire, England with her husband and three sons.
More about Judith Lennox...
All My Sisters A Step in the Dark The Dark-Eyed Girls The Heart of the Night Some Old Lover's Ghost