Start by marking “A Galaxy Not So Far Away: Writers and Artists on Twenty-five Years of Star Wars” as Want to Read:
A Galaxy Not So Far Away: Writers and Artists on Twenty-five Years of Star Wars

A Galaxy Not So Far Away: Writers and Artists on Twenty-five Years of Star Wars

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A dazzling collection of original essays by some of America's most notable young writers on the cultural impact of the Star Wars films

A Galaxy Not So Far Away is the first ever exploration of the innumerable ways the Star Wars films have forever altered our cultural and artistic landscape. Edited by Glenn Kenny, a senior editor and critic at Premiere magazine, this singula
Published September 6th 2002 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Galaxy Not So Far Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Galaxy Not So Far Away

Dora
Jun 17, 2015 Dora rated it liked it
Shelves: nerd-squad
Read this book if you like Star Wars, pop culture, or personal essays.

Don't read this book if you thought Star Wars was overrated, you hate it when people tell stories, or you live under a rock and don't really know what this whole "Star Wars" thing is.

Field Notes: I picked this book up specifically for the essay "Pale Starship, Pale Rider: The Ambiguous Appeal of Boba Fett" (which did not disappoint, by the way), but the rest of the essays were interesting enough to merit me finishing the book.
David Volper
Jun 15, 2014 David Volper rated it liked it
Highly technical layout. Informative and engaging in sections. An interesting odyssey through the eyes of those of us affected in one way or another by the Star Wars phenomena that had enraptured fans since "A New Hope" hit rolled across the silver screen in theaters nationwide.
Beau
Jan 06, 2014 Beau rated it really liked it
Fantastic book that shows a few things. First, it reflects that time right after 9\11. Second, it illustrates just how many different ways people can interpret the same set of silly movies and third it features some of the neatest little moments in writing I've come across in a while. most of it is good, but some of it is really damn good.
Tina
Dec 10, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Some essays are better than others. I could relate to the excitement of growing up Star Wars, the Sears Christmas catalog and all that good stuff. Many an action figure appeared in my Christmas stocking in my youth. My fave essay related to defending The Phantom Menace and Jar Jar Binks's existence. Priceless!
Nicholas
Sep 25, 2008 Nicholas rated it really liked it
Some good stuff in here. It takes me out of it when one of the essays speaks well of Episodes I and II or brings up 9/11, though. Standouts include Elvis Mitchell's essay about Billy Dee Williams and America's greatest living writer (at least at the time of publication) Neal Pollock's spoof.
Krishna
Aug 12, 2010 Krishna rated it liked it
As might be expected in such a book, the quality of the essays is uneven. But some of them are pretty thought provoking.
Bill
Sep 09, 2013 Bill added it
As others found it: hit and miss. Neal Pollack's contribution was vile.
Kim Garbow
Nov 17, 2007 Kim Garbow rated it really liked it
lots of fun, even if you're not a star wars freak.
Jesse
May 26, 2009 Jesse rated it liked it
The different essays in this book were hit or miss for me. I either found them really interesting or I was bored to tears.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Sean
Sean is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2016
Zeynep
Zeynep marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
David
David added it
Jun 03, 2016
Mlovelace
Mlovelace marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Popper
Popper is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2016
Walter McCoy
Walter McCoy rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
JHat
JHat marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Begotxu
Begotxu marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Steve Jones
Steve Jones rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Trent Rogers
Trent Rogers marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
William K
William K rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Wendy Dranfield
Wendy Dranfield marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016