Start by marking “The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. B: The Sixteenth Century & The Early Seventeenth Century” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Firmly grounded by the hallmark strengths of all Norton Anthologies thorough and helpful introductory matter, judicious annotation, complete texts wherever possible The Norton Anthology of English Literature has been revitalized in this Eighth Edition through the collaboration between six new editors and six seasoned ones. Under the direction of Stephen Greenblatt, General ...more
Paperback, 8th, 1712 pages
Published December 22nd 2005 by W.W. Norton (first published 1986)

Be the first to ask a question about The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. B

Erika Schoeps
An absolute treasure trove of everything you need to read as a Literature major. I had an awesome time discussing everything in this book in class. If you're new to Literature, DON'T read it without a good professor to guide you through. I would've got nothing out of this without my great professor.
Phillip
Love, love, love the Norton Anthologies. I've already reviewed Volume A, and most of the positive stuff I said is still true of this anthology. The introductory materials are good, and the selection of texts presented is comprehensive.

One thing I'm not 100% happy about is the division within the book. There are two broad period overviews, one the the Tudor period and one to the Stuart period and Protectorate. While I get the rationale for drawing a dividing line at 1603, the division within the
Jessica
All in all, this is a great collection. The variety is wide, with a large number of different topics covered. The notes are helpful, and I can't criticise this book as an introduction to literature of the Renaissance period.
The contents are, obviously, limited, and I dislike Norton's editorial process of altering texts written in English English to American spellings - I'd rather read what Shakespeare wrote than what some moronic American editor misspelt. American English is, obviously, appropri
Jacque
Love the Shakespeare unit! Twelfth Night was hilarious and sad!
Roya
Is it too dorky, that I actually wished the Milton part was much, much longer?
Robin
I like this series of textbooks. Each section has a clear, concise introduction to different aspects of that theme. It provides brief, informative biographies on each author. It includes a wide variety of authors and poets to choose from. There is no way you could cover everything in this book in one semester. It has wonderful footnotes to help clarify archaic words and phrases as well. All this is presented without any kind of opinion or critique, leaving the passages open for debate or persona ...more
Vernon Ray
Good selection, the best part was the seriously large section on Milton. Areopogetica was awesome. (It loses a star out of principal, I was forced to buy this book and forced to read it. Perhaps I'll revisit later.)

Other highlights: Robert Herrick's poetry, Ben Johnson's Volpone, The Duchess of Malafi. I know there are others but these are the ones off the top of my head.
Sandra Hernandez
Though I confess I have not read each poem and last story, the book itself is as guiding as the bible. It is full of morals, theories, teachings, laughter (unlike the bible), and truths. These stories are a challenge, a puzzle, a maze and when complete, a break through!
Lexxie
This has a lot of interesting history of the period, as well as an introduction to the different genres and writers.

Not something I would have read right now if I didn't have to read it for class, however, the Norton Anthologies never disappoint me.
Christian Brown
If you like English Literature, then invest in these works. Between Volumes 1 and 2, it covers all major works from the dawn of time to modern writers. It's got just about everything you'd ever want or need!
Becky Hoffman
Had to read this for my British Literature class, and I really enjoyed the collection of stories in it. Finally getting to read some Shakespeare, Chaucer, and Marlow.
Tree
Nov 16, 2009 Tree rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: English Majors
The material in this anthology has a fantastic array of 16-17 c. works. I really wish it didn't feel like the book would fall apart in my next reading, though...
Mckenzie
All in all a good anthology.
Frustrating that it had ALMOST all of Milton's Paradise Lost, then randomly decided to leave off the last few books.
Chantel
I haven't read every story, but a large portion and I found some really great works in there. Stories I hope to tell my children one day!
Eric
This is quite the anthology of really great and pertinent literature--especially for the aspiring scholar of the English language.
Clare
Read for my degree, various books inside, all interesting in their own way. worth a read if interested in the time period.
Ijorabi
Includes a wide variety of prose, poetry, and history. An excellent introduction to English literature.
Jewels
Please see my review of volumes A & C, because the same opinion holds true for this volume.
Michelle
Useful for people who don't want to do a lot of digging into 16th and 17th century texts.
Kristina
Textbook for my Tudor British Literature class.
Sannie Hald
Read some of the context for university.
Liz
Sigh. I'm hooked.
Judy
For Brit Lit class
Julia Sparrow
Julia Sparrow marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Volume B: 1820-1865
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature: Volumes A & B
  • The Norton Shakespeare
  • The Broadview Anthology of British Literature: Volume 1: The Medieval Period
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction, Compact Sixth Edition
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms
  • The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2A: The Romantics and Their Contemporaries
  • Doctor Faustus and Other Plays, Parts 1-2
  • Three Complete Novels: Howards End, A Room with a View, Where Angels Fear to Tread
  • The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism
  • Byron's Poetry
  • The Bedford Companion to Shakespeare: An Introduction with Documents
  • Best Short Stories of Jack London
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry
Meyer Howard Abrams is an American literary critic, known for works on Romanticism, in particular his book The Mirror and the Lamp. In a powerful contrast, Abrams shows that until the Romantics, literature was usually understood as a mirror, reflecting the real world, in some kind of mimesis; but for the Romantics, writing was more like a lamp: the light of the writer's inner soul spilled out to i ...more
More about M.H. Abrams...
The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1: The Middle Ages through the Restoration & the Eighteenth Century The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century A Glossary of Literary Terms The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. A: Middle Ages The Mirror and the Lamp: Romantic Theory and the Critical Tradition