Start by marking “Christmas at Thompson Hall: A Mid-Victorian Christmas Tale” as Want to Read:
Christmas at Thompson Hall: A Mid-Victorian Christmas Tale

Christmas at Thompson Hall: A Mid-Victorian Christmas Tale

Thompson Hall, redolent of plum-pudding and mince-pie, green of holly, warmed by omnipotent Victorian fireplaces, awaits the arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Brown from the south of France.

But they may never make it to Thompson Hall. The story opens in Paris at Le Grand Hotel, where Mr. Brown is down with "a throat-condition" - he is unable to travel to England. Only Mrs. Brown is
Published September 1st 1978 by Caledonia Press (first published December 21st 1861)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at Thompson Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas at Thompson Hall

Sue
Dec 17, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
A nice change of pace during this hectic season. I enjoyed this visit to Victorian England in what is in some ways a Christmas story, but in more ways is just a lot of period fun. Trollope is always a keeper.
Julie  Durnell
Dec 19, 2016 Julie Durnell rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, england-uk
A great comedy of errors with a Christmas theme!
Claude
Dec 29, 2015 Claude rated it liked it
Shelves: librivox, a, humour, uk
For some reason, I have trouble relating to Trollope. I get bored very easily. I guess that in this case, I got intimidated by the name, which is why I gave it 3 stars.
To be perfectly honest, I got so bored that I could have given only one or two. I must be too thick to perceive the humour.
Leslie
Dec 12, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Leslie by: LauraT
Shelves: classics, british, holiday
Amusing short story. Although the events take place at Christmas time, as a couple are traveling from Pau to England to spend Christmas with family, it is not a "Christmas story" such as A Christmas Carol or How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Instead it is a quietly amusing look at the foibles of the British matron abroad.
Anne-Marie
Dec 20, 2016 Anne-Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs Brown is beside herself with joy. Her family are gathering at Thompson Hall in Stratford-le-Bow for Christmas to meet her younger sister’s fiancé. For the first time in eight years, she will be spending Christmas in England instead of France and is eager to arrive in time for Christmas Eve. Her husband, however, is less keen. He has a sore throat and insists on stopping off at the Grand Hotel in Paris on the way home. After clambering into bed, Mr Brown asks for some mustard to ease his pain ...more
Pippin
Jan 07, 2016 Pippin rated it liked it
Quite the rummy thing to read for our Christmas get together this year, but come to think on it, it was more runny than rummy. Em, yeeees. Everyone smoked the wizzit about half way through. A good laughs here and there - more smirks than out and out hyena calls, but we all snookered together that Wodehouse would have handled this story with more dexterity. The ending was like being stuck on one of those round-abouts - you know the beastly thing where you go round and round with no way to break f ...more
Kathleen
Jul 01, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
This novella had me laughing hysterically. I knew Trollope had a sense of humor, but I didn't know he could write farce so well. There's something almost Wodehousian about this little book, if I can be anachronistic. It illustrates well Trollope's satirical and yet compassionate knowledge of the emotional upheavals some of us have in response to the mystifying incidents of daily life.
Cyndi
Nov 10, 2013 Cyndi rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Wandering into the wrong hotel at night and mistaking your unknown brother-in-law for your husband and putting a mustard pack on his throat makes for an awkward Christmas Dinner. Funny. Told in proper English requires a stiff upper lip and no one wants to tell the family what happened.
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
A cute, if clichéd, Christmas story. I listened to an audio version, which i can't find on GR, and the narrator sounded like Kermit the Frog! That *might* have affected my enjoyment. :/
Ed
Dec 21, 2014 Ed rated it it was amazing
Satirical novella. I had forgotten how very funny Trollope can be. Excellent.
Sem
Nov 24, 2015 Sem rated it liked it
Who knew that mustard plasters could be so thrilling?
Jennifer Morefield
Dec 21, 2014 Jennifer Morefield rated it it was amazing
A lovely, humorous Victorian story that happened at Christmas time. Very cute! Loved it... I listened to this book on Chapter a Day. Norm Gilleland did a wonderful job of narrating it.
Mama
Dec 30, 2013 Mama rated it liked it
Elisabeth
Jan 24, 2013 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, 4-stars
My first Trollope! I will be reading more.
Dec 10, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
I'm really glad that thanks to modern medicine we don't have to rely on mustard plaster to soothe a sore throat.
LauraT
Dec 14, 2013 LauraT rated it really liked it
WHen did Trollope got to be ironic?
Always of course, but here he chukcles more...
MarieJ
Dec 21, 2014 MarieJ rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!
Hilary
Dec 10, 2015 Hilary rated it liked it
I am amused.
Dona
Dona rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2009
Melora
May 06, 2013 Melora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened
Sweet and silly. I really enjoyed this!
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2008
Suzette L'arpe
Suzette L'arpe rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Elizabeth O'Meara
Elizabeth O'Meara rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Austenfan
Austenfan rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Tracy Rodriguez
Tracy Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha
More about Anthony Trollope...