Start by marking “Winter Fire” as Want to Read:
Winter Fire

Winter Fire (Huntington Family #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,100 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Fourth-grade schoolteacher Amanda Huntington said good-bye to her high school sweetheart when she realized he had fallen in love with someone else. Now, a year later, she wonders if she'll spend the rest of her life alone.

When she meets Blake Simmons, Amanda finds her life turned upside down. Blake doesn't seem like the knight in shining armor she always imagined. With tw

Published February 15th 2005 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Winter Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Fire

Beth
Feb 19, 2008 Beth rated it it was ok
LDS romance is like cheap chocolate for a reader’s brain. It’s sweet, I guess, but not really that good — and yet you can’t stop partaking once you start.

I will say this about Nunes: she has gotten much better since when she began, and she’s helped open the genre of LDS fiction to other writers.

Nathan sometimes asks me about the books I’m reading, and he knows that if it’s a Nunes book, someone is going to end up at the hospital, because that’s where the drama is. This time it didn’t happen unti
Lindsay
May 27, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: LDS fiction readers
Shelves: ldsfiction
This book actually wasn't bad. There were some passages that were self righteous enough to make me cringe, but that's to be expected. There were many chapters of this book I enjoyed, and a few cute scenes that made me smile.

Rachel Ann Nunes really is a good recommendation for LDS fiction readers. I believe she represents sexless romance at its best.
Tyler Prince
Mar 08, 2014 Tyler Prince rated it liked it
One of those gem sort of books! Not a blow me away kind of writing style, not incredibly surprising, but a sort of heart warming pick me up that everyone needs to read once in a while.
Susan
Jan 25, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-novels
If you like LDS romance novels, you'll like this one. I'd probably give it a 3.5 stars rating.

It's about a school teacher who meets an appliance repairman and is immediately attracted to him, although she has vowed to never get interested in an uneducated man. He has two children which she finds out later are actually his drunken, addicted cousin's children, and he is taking care of them. Together, they try to save the children from their mother.
Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
Nov 13, 2014 Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2010
I was a little underwhelmed by this one. It kind of felt like a soap opera, more focus being on the drama than the relationship between Amanda and Blake. I guess I have a pet-peeve about relationships that move so quickly, especially under such dramatic circumstances. Having said that, I did enjoy the story (for the most part) and liked the characters. I guess I was expecting more of a romantic story, but it seemed more about Blake and his situation. I was also a little thrown when Paula (the ki ...more
Betty Ann Baer
May 22, 2014 Betty Ann Baer rated it did not like it
The reason I rated this book so low was because there wasn't much of a story. Two people meet. They like each other but don't tell each other. On and on through the book, the same thing with different settings. I knew how it would end, nothing in the book was a surprise.
Apzmarshl
Sep 30, 2013 Apzmarshl rated it really liked it
I liked this book more than I probably would have, and that was because it focused on foster care.
Nunes did a good job of describing what it's like dealing with an addicted primary family; the self centeredness, the lies, the excuses, the manipulation, the inability to care for their children, the family around the addict allowing them to make poor choices without consequence, and the judicial system erring on the side of mercy for the addict instead of justice for the protection of the childre
Katie W
Jul 31, 2010 Katie W rated it really liked it
I love stories about how two people meet and fall in love--as long as they're clean. :) I also love stories that take place around the holidays.

Amanda is a first year school teacher and when she accidentally starts an oven fire, which results in an oven that won't work, she calls in a repairman to fix it. Sparks seems to fly almost instantly, but....Blake has two kids. She later finds out that they're his cousin's kids.

Long story short--it's a tender story which led me to really think about how
Brittany
Apr 19, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! I've read it at least six times! Amanda and Blake are perfect for each other!
Julie
Oct 09, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
This is a well written clean story that captures your heart and I have to say it has great characters.
Darci Clark
Oct 15, 2014 Darci Clark rated it really liked it
Not my favorite of Rachel's, but still well written and kept me intrigued till the end.
Nadine
Mar 17, 2014 Nadine rated it liked it
Great story line, but somehow the telling of it just was having a hard time.
Roberta
May 16, 2014 Roberta rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Another great LDS fiction. This book made me cry. That takes a lot! Why do we sometimes enjoy reading books that make us sad, like a daredevil who likes to jump out of airplanes just for the rush?? This book made my heart ache for children who spend any part of their lives in an unfit situation or a custody battle. It made me grateful to have a safe and happy home for my little ones. I admit, I started reading it, thinking it would be just another cheesy love story, but it was much more than tha ...more
Heather
Jan 28, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Grade: B
Brenda
Jul 07, 2009 Brenda rated it really liked it
I was so surprised that I really enjoyed this book. It was full of kindness and hope and I couldn't help but like the main hero- he was always just giving his all. I loved the kid stuff too. Emotional and thought provoking in its dealing with substance abuse and the Family Services aspects of the book. I don't approve of a tragedy thrown into a book just for the purpose of a little heart tug however. It wasn't needed here and felt very out of place. Still, the book itself and story made me smile ...more
Rayni
Nov 17, 2007 Rayni rated it liked it
I like Beth's comments. This was the first Nunes book I've read & it was an advance reader copy I got from the bookstore at work. I hope they got a couple of things ironed out before the final publication.

I thought it was very predictable, the hospital scene surprised me, though. I wasn't too fond of the ending, things like that just don't happen. Being LDS doesn't make life perfect. But as Beth said, it certainly left it open for some spin-offs or a series.
Dorry Lou
Sep 17, 2011 Dorry Lou rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It shows how children suffer when a parent is using alcohol & is on drugs. Blake Simmons ends up with 2 children that belong to his cousin. She loves the children but not enough to stay away from drugs & alcohol. Blake does all he can to care for them while he works and goes back to school. Lots of action as the mother is in and out of their lives. Blake finally meets someone, but what kind of relationship can they have?
04CarleeH
Jan 06, 2012 04CarleeH rated it it was amazing
This book is so romantic. It has great details about the characters which is really nice because then you can have a better picture if them. This book is really good! It's also super thrilling! There's always 2 questions in your mind while reading this. 1: what's going to happen to Mara and Kevin? 2: what's going to golem to Blake and Amanda? I feel like anyone in junior high up should read this book!
Veneita
Feb 10, 2010 Veneita rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Don't prejudge a person before you know where they are coming from. I do it all the time but this girl finally gave the guy a chance to explain and what a good guy. Loved the romance cuz it's real life drama. We are all too busy to see a good romantic man when we have one in front of us.
Andrea
Oct 02, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
This was fun to read in part because it was about many of the same characters from the last book of I read by the author. Technically, it would have been better to read this one before Chasing Yesterday, but I actually liked that I knew (in part) how this one would end.
Krista
Jul 15, 2013 Krista rated it really liked it
This was my first Rachel Nunes' book and I loved it. LDS Fiction can be really cheesy, but this one was not. The characters were developed well, and the conflict/storyline was great. It even made me cry! Highly recommended for a good, clean romance!
Michelegg
Feb 04, 2009 Michelegg rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book so much. It was so packed with emotion and goodness. I loved Blake and Amanda, and the way thy loved his cousins' children. It was just such a good book, full of such purity and sweetness. I liked the way this book made me feel.
Cherri
Feb 23, 2014 Cherri rated it liked it
4th Grade teacher Amanda falls for repairman - but there's a hitch. He has children, does that mean he has a wife? Substance abuse, family relationships, and a little prejudice get in the way of a great relationship.
Teya Peck
Dec 13, 2013 Teya Peck rated it it was amazing
How she can write with so much passion so much intensity is amazing to me. Real life issues in an interesting engaging and good book always is amazing. I almost tears several time and happiness. It was really good.
Nicole
Jan 05, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Good clean book! I liked it!
Kaylee Boydstun
May 30, 2008 Kaylee Boydstun rated it it was amazing
Ok if you like romance this book is somewhat for you. It has action some drama and proves that true love conquers all. Full of twists and turns this book will keep you busy all day.
Mandy
May 01, 2009 Mandy rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Really enjoyed this book and look forward to the rest of the series. Enjoyed the twists and turns it took me on but not to many to twist and knot my stomach up!
Leo
Jun 08, 2008 Leo rated it it was amazing
THis bok was amazing! I love Rachael Ann Nunes, she writes amazing books. THis was one of those books you have to stay up all night for. IT's amazing!
Margaret
Jun 11, 2008 Margaret rated it it was ok
A nice light read. She takes her clean romance VERY seriously and some parts that were supposed to be, um, romantic, actually made me laugh outloud. :)
Amy
Jan 08, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
I would probably give this book 3.5 stars if they would let you. It was a silly lds romance, but I got into it and read it fast!
  • Chance Encounter
  • A Time to Dance (Keane-Morrison Family Saga, #2)
  • Love Lights the Way  (Yesterday's Love, #3)
21980
Rachel Ann Nunes (pronounced noon-esh) learned to read when she was four and by seventh grade knew she was going to be an author. Now as a stay-at-home mother of seven, it isn't easy to find time to write, but she will trade washing dishes or weeding the garden for an hour at the computer any day! Her only rule about writing is to never eat chocolate at the computer. "Since I love chocolate and wr ...more
More about Rachel Ann Nunes...

Huntington Family (4 books)
  • No Longer Strangers