Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2) (Only, #6)

Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2) (Maxwells #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,678 ratings  ·  36 reviews

Orphaned at thirteen, a mail-order bride at fourteen, widowed at sixteen, Sarah Kennedy has learned to depend upon no one but herself--reserving all her love for her younger brother Conner, and for the wounded hawks she heals and returns to the air.

Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published October 1st 1997 by Avon (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2)

Annie's Song by Catherine AndersonEyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellComanche Moon by Catherine AndersonTexas Destiny by Lorraine HeathThe Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas
Favorite Historical Western Romance Novels
66th out of 363 books — 656 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
My Favourite Historical Romance
357th out of 1,307 books — 1,656 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
So to continue my burst of Elizabeth Lowell romance reading, I jumped from the Only quartet over to the duology she did about the Maxwell brothers, Autumn Lover and Winter Fire. As it happened I read the latter first, but it didn't make much difference; after all, this flavor of romance does follow a predictable formula, and it wasn't like I didn't know that the gunslinger and girl du jour in the first book would get their happily ever after, and most likely show up in Book 2.

But all that aside,...more
Rhapsody
Dec 15, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance fans who like the lone female on the ranch setting
My first book by Lowell. I found it a little disappointing. Then again, the one I wanted to read was Only Mine but I started the wrong one by accident and by the time I was sure I was reading the wrong book, it was too late to stop. Sarah, a young widow, is living out in Utah with her younger brother Conner. She's had a hard life; her entire family died in a flood when she was very young, and then she had to care for Conner. She married an abusive drunk out of desperation and now that he's gone,...more
LJ
WINTER FIRE - VG
Lowell, Elizabeth - part of Only series

Orphaned at thirteen, a mail-order bride at fourteen, widowed at sixteen, Sarah Kennedy has learned to depend upon no one but herself-reserving all her love for her younger brother Conner, and for the wounded hawks she heals and returns to the air.

A hardened Civil War veteran, personal tragedy has taught Case Maxwell three things: to be a patient, deadly fighter, to love nothing that can die; and that justice is blind. But when a confrontati...more
Mary Kay
My grandmother, who passed away 10 years ago, loved romance novels. I found this book on the shelves of my grandparents' house over Thanksgiving weekend as my family sorted through their belongings to prepare their house for sale in the spring, since my grandfather moved into a nursing home this fall. The story is set in Utah during Reconstruction. As a Utah native and a descendent of the Utah pioneers, I can see why my grandmother picked up this book (in November 1996, as evidenced by the recei...more
Laurla2
"use your head for something more than a hat rack."

"i'm about as useless as teats on a bull."

"ten days lying here on my back have left me weak as a kitten."
"a kitten? even lions dont have cubs like you."

"dont let hope get to you. all it will do is hurt you."
"no, memory hurts. hope heals. without it we would spend our life in pain."

"go talk to your horse's butt. it has more sense than you do."
Hany Grace
a very intense story of moving on and being able to live on despite all the things that happened in the past . . i find the story captivating in its own way and maybe you'll find it captivating, too if you'll have a go at it ;) !
Maddux
A good conclusion to the Only series - and finally - the end of those bastard Culpeppers.

I don't know if I've read a more evil set of villains.

Enjoyable 3.5-4 stars.
Michelle
awesome story! Haven't read a keeper in a while. This one is!
Jamie
Oct 28, 2013 Jamie added it
Audiobook recording is frustrating. The narrator whispers quite often. Her voice is low, in and of itself, rough, and gravelly. At a whisper it is really difficult to hear. And often, the narrator goes immediately from whispering to what sounds like shouting, blowing out your ear drums.

Narrator aside, I found the book to be well structured. The characters were sympathetic, and believable. The relationship and tension between the two very well developed. Although certain aspects of the plot line...more
Meaghan
al of her books are great. the westerns are interesting and there are great characters in this one.
Tatrd
Sarah Kennedy & Case Maxwell
Sarah's entire family is killed by a flood except her younger brother so she marries an abusive man at age 14. Her brother kills a man who was looking for Spanish silver treasure. Case is hunting the people who murdered his whole family except his brother who was in the war with him. Cse finds killers near Sarah's ranch. She nurses him to health after a gun fight but he never wants to love anything that can die.
Jewel
I can't believe I enjoyed this so much. I actually liked reading a western romance. Who knew? Case, our dashing hero, was regularly described as having been out on the range so long that he hadn't shaved in ages and had grown a beard. Couple this with the fact that I kept imagining how badly he must have smelled. Yet, despite my thinking he must have been gross, I loved this book. I really did. It's a winner.
Kristi
This book is exactly what a historical romance should be-- a blend of historical background, colored with a love story that gives the time period and characters depth. The characters have unique goals and challenges from their backgrounds to overcome, but the reader is constantly engaged in their struggles and triumphs. I look forward to reading more about the Maxwell family, soon!
Sue
Sarah was a good heroine. She was strong, independent and a really hard worker. Her fault was that she was quick to take Case back even after he treated her coldly after their night of passion. The reason that I didn't give it 4 stars was that I felt that Case finally admitted that he loved Sarah in the last page of the book. Too little too late if you ask me.
A hunt for treasure and vengeance in the Wild West. I've read this many times over many years, and it's a treat to read Elizabeth Lowell before she went the way of the romantic suspense/action genre. Lots of sadness in this one, but I think it's done beautifully.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
One of my favorite westerns in print. The narration by Laural Merlington, however,is too sharp and I didn't enjoy her interpretation of the hero in particular. Audio is, at best, a 3 star. With my love of the print book, I can still grade it 4 stars.
Anita
this is such a good read its a great story of a rough man had been hurt a lot by life lossing his kids and trying to cope. and about a woman with a broken heart hopeing one day she can heal the wounds her abusive husband left her.
Dianna
This one was really great. Lots of page turning action. Good sex! And a pretty little bow wrapped ending. LOL! I'm not always a fan of the nice tidy bow wrapped ending, but for some reason I really liked it in this book.
Velma Silva
I liked this book. First time I've read something from this author. I'm not really into the romance novels, but this book had some mystery and intrigue in it. I would recommend it.
Joan
So enjoyed this book and that is unusual that I like a present day type novel. Like the cowboy coming to the rescue. This is one that I recommend to all my girlfriends.
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Reminded me Linda Howard's westerns, but I like Linda more. I would recommend reading rather than listening. The narrator almost blew it for me.
chrisvee
Enjoyed this quite a bit since both the hero and the heroine were quite appealing. But could any woman really be this naive?
Janet Horton
I enjoy all of Lowell's books. There is adventure, mystery, romance and laughter. What is not to like!
Frances Fuller
Just reread and upped to 3 stars. Usually it goes the other way when I read a book over.
Susan
Vry gd chrctr dev, grwth, lrng to deal w/ loss, love again. Bettr than 1st
Ashley♥Alexis
I have not read a Elizabeth Lowell story that i haven't loved.
Kaye Gacho
my favorite out of all my Elizabeth Lowell books...
Leigh Evans
This was my first christmas present from Randy.
Marion
a bit slow, predictable historical romance.
  • Surrender A Dream
  • A Necessary Husband
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • Bride for a Night
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • Midnight Warrior
  • The Bride's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy #1)
  • Promises Reveal (Promises, #4)
  • Thief of Hearts
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • A Heart So Wild (Straton Family, #1)
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)