Les Misérables, tome I/3

Les Misérables, tome I/3

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,080 ratings  ·  81 reviews
A rousing adventure story peopled with heartbreaking, unforgettable characters and a powerful allegory about the good and evil lying beneath the surfaces of human beauty, ugliness, and superior intellect.
Published September 7th 1997 by Editions Flammarion (first published 1862)

Riham
i wish there was more than 5 stars..all authors usually focus on events but i never saw any authour who went deeply inside human's heart and mind and analysed it that great..the book is full of wisdom that it can be taken as one of the spiritual books in life..
this is the greatest book i ever did and ever will read..
Hugo was a messenger of truth
Steve Pennell
One of the all-time great stories. The story is inspired. Grace vs. Law. And Grace wins!

This is not, however, for the timid reader. Hugo writes entire chapters (over and over again) of historical and political and French social information that has almost nothing to do with the story itself but serves only to set a mood or set up a scene. If you aren't into historical trivia, read the abridged version.

Although movies always leave out important scenes -especially when the book is this long, the...more
Jul 17, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who love classics and/or French culture
Recommended to Laura by: English class
I realized today that I have this listed as a favorite book in my profile, but it wasn't on my read list. It is another that I read in high school. Some parts are pretty simplistic and conventional, but it all comes together so romantically. Did you know it's said that Victor Hugo always wrote standing up? If you've seen the unabridged version of this book, he must've gotten tired! Anyway, I just really like Jean Valjean, including saying his name.

Wow, J'ai choisi la version Française! Regardez...more
Jessie
Victor Hugo is an amazing author. His descriptions go on for pages and I don't know how he can even think of the things that he does to make the places and characters come so alive. This is the second time I've read this unabridged version. I think that I enjoyed it more the first time through because I wasn't on a deadline. I liked collecting quotes, and thinking about why the book was famous. I know that the title is The miserable, but I don't think that is why the book has a following. I beli...more
Tannie
Wow... where to start with this review?

I want to say this - reading Les Miserables unabridged is A LOT harder than I though it would be. My advice is honestly this... if you want to read it, read the abridged unless you are up for a HUGE challenge. I can't say I know how much the abridged cuts out, but for me I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read it abridged.

What I didn't like about the book was the tangents (I know he had a reason for every single one). The 40 pages detailing convent...more
Jacob Holt
Jean Valjean is a convict after stealing bread to feed his family. Once arrested he attempts to break out of prison which increases his sentance to 19 years. After, being realesed he starts his reformation to be a good person. His encounters with Javert keeps himself on the move. The revolution in France is approaching and Jean Valjean is seeking to fix his crimes.
The book was better than I expected however I still dislike the hard language and the strange tangents. The story was great if you ca...more
Miriam Rochford
Les Miserables is a story that I hold dear to my heart, and I read the abridged version earlier last year, but found the story to be lacking. I decided to delve into the full text, and I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. Although I enjoyed the overall novel immensely, I would not want to go back and wade through that mess again. Victor Hugo has a habit of going off in tangents for a chapter or two, trying to establish context. While I do like that he contextualizes his work, he...more
Andy
A great read! Thought-evoking, amazing character development, universal themes.
I found Hugo's interaction with God, through the Priest and Jean Valjean to be especially interesting.
The one thing that tempted me to take 1 star off is the very long description of the Priest at the beginning and the long description of the Battle of Waterloo around two-thirds of the way through. This is consistent with Charles Dickens, for example ''Hard Times,'' published eight years before ''Les Misérables.'' (1...more
Seni
Nov 22, 2008 Seni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: siapapun anda, saya persilakan untuk menjelajahi dunia buku ini
sudah lama buku ini kubeli. dan baru beberapa bulan lalu sempat kubaca. dan baru saat ini sempat kutulis tentangnya. bagiku, novel ini sarat dengan pengorbanan sekaligus keberanian. pengorbanan dan terutama keberanian seorang Jean Valjean yang kerap dihadapkan pada pertimbangan-pertimbangan moral hati nuraninya sendiri. meski kegetiran yang menjadi konsekuensinya, meski kegentaran kadang menyambanginya. ia mampu konsisten di jalan nurani.

membacanya, serasa jiwa ini semakin kaya dengan arti hidup...more
Jay
Au dos de la couverture il y a une citation de Rimbaud, « Hugo, top cabochard, a bien du VU dans les derniers volumes : Les Misérables sont un vrai poème. » Bien qu’il y ait des pages qui manquent de poésie, surtout quand il pontifie un peu trop, comme parfois dans les chapitres sur Waterloo, c’est vrai aussi de ses poèmes dévoués au politique quand il était encore jeune. En lisant « Les Misérables » pour la deuxième fois, je prends un grand plaisir en le lisant comme un long poème, qui manque d...more
Amber
I needed to read this book for French in school. I have this book in Dutch, but I still need to read it.

I only gave it 4 stars because it was hard for me to read it in French. I really liked the stories about Fantine, Jean, Cosette,...
I'm curious about the next parts (3) to see what happens next, but I think I will enjoy this book more when it's in my language :)

I didn't read this version, it was another one but it seems alike.
Christina
I gave Les Miserables a 4 instead of a 5 simply because the main character is dated--audiences and readers today no longer trust such simply good-natured protagonists. Considering when it was written, it deserves a five.

I read the abridged version and that was great. Didn't have time this summer to read all that history. I would recommend this for readers who love Charles Dickens, and for those who don't.
DeDe
One of my top 5 reads ever! It's long - over 1000 pages (unabridged) and the sewer system section is a bit long and ardous to get through, but this book has changed my life. This novel is about love and forgiveness; forgiving one's self more than others; Finding the balance between mercy and justice; and really explores moral issues. I cried reading this novel - in front of 35 sophomores - without any shame.
Gregg
Oct 17, 2008 Gregg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: book clubs, teenagers and up
Recommended to Gregg by: Top 5 books to take to an island
Read in High School (instead of reading what the teacher assigned me) I read the unabridged version-1,000 pages or so. The unabridged is just as good. Being areligious at that time, Jean Valjean molded my character. He is a "Christlike" figure in the book. I learned to turn the other cheek and to let the actions happen. Great character growth throughout the book. Check out the musical too. Great songs.
Jenna
I had a hard time putting Les Mis down. I mostly read it during my work breaks, but found myself taking it home, and trying not to read it while sitting at stop lights! It was quite captivating. Still have not seen the musical, as I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with how many differences there are between the two (so I've heard from my husband). I'm thinking about reading this one again soon...
Ronda
Apr 21, 2008 Ronda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jr. High students thru adults
Shelves: 5-star-rated
One of a few books that I rated with 5 stars. Incredible! I read this book (unabridged---which I recommend) during the summer before I went to the musical at Capitol Theater in Salt Lake City. I wanted to understand the story before seeing the show. I enjoyed the show, (I LOVE THE MUSIC!) but it was a sketch compared to the depth of story-line and characters one reads in the book.
Aubri
Nov 29, 2008 Aubri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
So I know the musical in and out and have always wanted to read this. When we were in the Philippines it was one of the books I was able to find and it was cheap so I picked it up. I couldn't put it down. It was so amazing. The depth of the characters and their stories. WOW. I kept saying, "Just one more page," but then wouldn't put it down for a few hours.
Katie
I loved the theme I saw of God helping/intervening in small ways after ALL he could do. I'm still impressed by the effort Val Jean makes over and over against huge odds, but still makes his escapes, aids others, etc. He receives big and small mercies along the way.

I read a condensed but still "long" version. I'll read the BIG one later, maybe.
Devobuster
I absolutely adored this book. Victor Hugo was just so excellent at describing, it was beautiful to read. It was a bit rambly though, and it took me forever to read simply because I kept getting distracted by other things. However often I put it down, I instantly fell in love with it again as soon as I picked it up.
Diana
Finished the first book (1st 600 pages). Apart from the 150 pages or so that were devoted to the battle of Waterloo and the philosophy of monastic life in the 19th century, it was really fun to read. I read it in French, which made the process even more interesting for me, if rather slow.
Bill
I'm not sure if this is the actual version I read. Overall, the story was really good, but in typical Hugo fashion, a lot of time is spent providing background to the places and times where event occur. Some of this is enjoyable, but quite a bit seems to drag on.
Max Williamson
I loved reading this book but to be honest it took me ages! Not sure I took everything in but it was definitely worth the hard work, maybe an abridged version would have suited me better. It enticed me to go watch it in the West End and yes I did cry!
Christy
This story is filled with action, love, sorrow, and upliftment. The characters are so real and it is wonderful to see how each character changes throughout the story. The messages of repentance, forgiveness, and love are deeply touching.
Heidi
Where the story of Jean Valjean exists, I love this book. But it bewilders me how anyone discovered this wonderful story buried in Hugo's pontifications. I read this book because I thought I'd enjoy it. I finished it just to say I did.
Claudia Harrington
I really enjoyed the story line. It took me a long time to read it but it was a good read. I think this books was made for people in that pass where they get all their knowledge from books, since all the tangents story lines.
Nancy Boyd
I think people give this book a little more credit than it actually deserves. It was good, but not as phenomenal as I had been led to believe. Oh, well. Still enjoyable, and I look forward to the new movie!
Jessica
The story is just as compelling as the play, but it is a lot longer. I recommend an abridged version. There's a part where Jean Valjean spends a long time in the sewers, which gets tedious.
Sue
This has been on my list of books for years. I was glad to check it off. I really enjoyed the story. I would have loved to read this in school where I could discuss the history with it too.
Jack
One of my all time favorites. I can read this book and learn more about human nature every time I finish it than any other story I know. The play and music are equivically good.
Amanda Alexandre
Fantastic, one of my favorites.

There were parts when I cried. Is it too much. I don't know, just feel impressed by Hugo's ability of creating empathy with his characters.
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I
  • Hunted Down
  • Middlemarch/Silas Marner/Amos Barton
  • Het goddelijke monster (Monstertrilogie, #1)
  • Claudine's House
  • The English Monster
  • Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave / Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
  •  ألغاز إدجار آلان بو
  • The Thief of Time
  • Hell Screen
  • Blinker en het BagBag-juweel
  • Falling Fast
  • Gods Tomorrow (Ghost Targets, #1)
  • One Man's Initiation: 1917
Victor-Marie Hugo was a French poet, playwright, novelist, essayist, visual artist, statesman, human rights campaigner, and perhaps the most influential exponent of the Romantic movement in France.
More about Victor Hugo...
Les Misérables The Hunchback of Notre-Dame The Man Who Laughs Les Miserables (Classics Illustrated) The Last Day of a Condemned Man

“He who despairs is wrong.” 46 likes