Start by marking “The Eye of the Fish” as Want to Read:
The Eye of the Fish

The Eye of the Fish

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  36 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The first of Luis H. Francia's books of non-fiction to be published in the United States, The Eye of the Fish paints a vivid and detailed portrait of the terror, beauty and insistent humanity of the Philippines of today. Cross-cutting between Francia's recollections of the Philippines of his youth and accounts of his travels through the archipelago over the past two decade ...more
Published February 2nd 2001 by Muae Publishing (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of the Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eye of the Fish

Arah
Dec 03, 2013 Arah rated it liked it
I read this in preparation for an upcoming trip to the Philippines, as recommended in a Lonely Planet reading list. I'm glad I did: Francia weaves together many stories in a very affable, rhythmic style with velocity and urgency that kept me turning the pages. It was surprisingly long, and yet by the end I was a little disappointed that there wasn't another island to visit, with yet more stories of his adventures and the people he met.

About midway through the book, Francia reveals that he made s
Victoria
Jan 03, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it
I read this to understand the Philippines, a country I have recently spent some time in, in more depth, and it was a great choice. Francia explores every part of the Islands, taking you on a journey through well known and less well known places. Each story and person he meets combining to provide a lyrical and thorough exploration of this country and its unique mindset and problems, even the people he meets just briefly and who make up just one or two lines in the book add to this picture. Its r ...more
baRbRa
Jun 15, 2007 baRbRa rated it it was amazing
When I read this for class, I was immediately drawn into it - especially because of how it reminded me of my parents and our trips back to the Philippines. There's a prevalent feeling of change and loss, with such beautiful and vivid detail... It's a very moving memoir, but also a good account of history and the issues with hybrid identities.

I was very excited to meet the author - even if he spelled my name wrong in my book.
Claire
Oct 07, 2007 Claire rated it it was amazing
In my list of top 5 books... I first read it for an independent studies project w/ my professor Joy Harjo. I reread it last fall when I found out the author as going to be @ a Smithsonian event celebrating the centennial of Fil-Ams in the states. I was so excited I probably looked like a loser when I asked him to sign my copy. It'd be so cool if this became a staple of Asian-Am literature alongside Bulosan's work.
Joshua Steinberg
Dec 14, 2015 Joshua Steinberg rated it really liked it
This book was an interesting read, providing an in-depth history of the Philippines, and documents well the challenges facing the country. However, the author explains the impact and legacy of a colonial past too simplistically throughout the book.
Mary
Jun 06, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
An excellent journey thorough the islands of the Philippines by a writer who got his start in pay-for-essay plagiarism schemes.
Roberto
Apr 22, 2012 Roberto rated it really liked it
Good book to learn more about the communist struggle against the Marcos regime. It paints an interesting picture of an often-overlooked part of Filipino society.
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Valery
Oct 06, 2007 Valery rated it it was amazing
A powerful memoir of the history of American and Spanish Imperialism in the Philippines.
Rusin
Rusin rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2007
Jayrick
Jayrick rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Geo
Geo rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2008
Jenn Samatra
Jenn Samatra rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2007
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
Esther
Esther rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Colin Marshall
Colin Marshall rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Lillian
Lillian rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2008
Nick Yoloffson
Nick Yoloffson rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2014
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
trisha
trisha rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2007
isa q
isa q rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2007
Aderie
Aderie rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Kevd00d
Kevd00d rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Sebastian
Sebastian rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Michael Janairo
Michael Janairo rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2008
Luis H. Francia’s nonfiction works include the memoir Eye of the Fish: A Personal Archipelago, winner of both the 2002 Open Book Award and the 2002 Asian American Writers award, and Memories of Overdevelopment: Reviews and Essays of Two Decades. His A History of the Philippines: From Indios Bravos to Filipinos was published in 2010. He is in the Library of America’s Becoming Americans: Four Centur ...more
More about Luis H. Francia...