Mississippi Morning

Mississippi Morning

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Set in 1933 Mississippi, this thought-provoking story about a young boy who lives in an environment of racial hatred will challenge young readers to question their own assumptions and confront personal decisions. Full color.
Published August 13th 2004 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published July 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mississippi Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mississippi Morning

N_stefanie Akwa
N_katiebernard
This story is told form the point of view of a white, young boy. He grows up in the south during the time of the Ku Klux Klan. He is proud of his father, a shop owner who gets along with the other men in town and seems to be quite influential among them. The young boy learns about the concept of racism from another young boy and he can't understand why some don't like others. He then learns from his other friend, an African American boy, that there are violent men who dress in white and hurt tho...more
Jerald Belofsky
Well written and lean story with a solid somewhat surprising ending. Excellent portrayal of the dynamics within a southern rural white family and racial tensions within their community. The drawings of the faces of the characters are individualized and revealing as to their actions in the story and complement the text.
April Smith
This book helps children understand what life was like during the 1930's. This book gives the children idea about segregation and how African American's were treated. This would be a great book to use as a read aloud to help introduce the idea of segregation.
Amanda Hicks
I really liked this book. I think it would be appropriate for higher elementary grades. It could definitely be used for a history lesson. This was a very eye opening book and it could teach children about fairness and doing what's right Even when no one else is.
Angela
Aug 17, 2010 Angela rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Long, dark, and discouraging. The whole time I was reading this to my little one -- and it took us almost a week's worth of story time to wade through it -- I kept thinking there would be something to make it worthwhile. There's no lesson in the book, no indication of how the main character uses his knowledge to be more or less racist than those around him. Only lesson I can figure is that kids can't trust adults -- not exactly the lesson I want to start out my little one with. While I'm sure th...more
Jordan Laskoski
This book was very sad and discouraging. I thought that this story had no real lesson, which kind of upset me. It is definitely a short, challenging snapshot of civil rights history which I thought was beautifully drawn, but not written. The pictures seemed very real and I could see how a child would love them. I also think young children would get bored with this book and have no real interest in the story line.
Andrea
I was not a big fan of this book. However it did paint a good picture about historical events. One of the issues I had with this book was the character did not seem to take anything away from seeing his dad wearing the white pointy cloth over his face. The character went about his business like it never occurred. I think the story could have had a deeper meaning, a better storyline.
Morgan Meyers
This book confronts a social injustice that has plagued our American history. While it deals with an uncomfortable issue, it would be an important book to share with students, as it would allow them to dialogue about their thoughts and feelings about racial and hate crimes.
Trevor
My co-worker/friend and I read this book today and she remarked, "I love it when an author acknowledges that kids have brains, and writes something that allows them to use it." Amen -- This is a short, challenging snapshot of civil rights history, beautifully drawn and written.
Rachel
Great book that show what it is like for a young white boy in the south to realize all the racism around him and he finds out that his father is a Klan member. Would be a great book to jump start a discussion because the ending leaves the reader hanging.
Paige Y.
This book is going to work really well with out study of the 20th century. My only complaint is that there are pages where the type bleeds into the pictures and I found it difficult to read those sections.

Lots of discussion to have with kids.
Erica Hendrickson
The illustrations are wonderful and the book is well written, I just did not like the ending. I feel the direction this book goes is more suited to middle or high school age, not young children.
Hannah
Not a book I would read to children in my classroom. Its very compelling but to find out your father is a KKK guy, I dont like children should read books about that.
Ellie Dietzen
this book is about the KKK. not the best classroom book, but could be used during a history lesson or they could have it read to them so there can be discussion.
Samantha
Excellent book. Great way to teach history in the classroom.
Tracy
A great book. I would recommend to a friend.
Amy Streek
Amy Streek marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Hallie Szott
Hallie Szott marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Faisal Bhuyan
Faisal Bhuyan marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Marcus
Marcus marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Lauren Cottrell
Lauren Cottrell marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Erika's Story Eli Remembers Always with You Woman Meets Jesus: How Jesus Encourages, Empowers, and Equips Women on Their Personal Journey of Faith Discover Your Gifts: And How to Use Them (Student Manual)