Start by marking “Mississippi Morning” as Want to Read:
Mississippi Morning

Mississippi Morning

Amidst the economic depression and the racial tension of the 1930s, a boy discovers a horrible secret of his father's involvement in the Ku Klux Klan.
Published August 13th 2004 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published July 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mississippi Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mississippi Morning

Linda Lipko
The life of James Williams is slow and predictable. His father owns a store where locals come to shop for needed hardware items. Men gather on the porch to share conversation in the hot afternoon, and at the cool evening.

Jame's life slowly unfolds into a series of happenings that make him stop and take a listen. James is a good child. He helps with chores around the house which free his father to concentrate on the store. He enjoys being with his father at the store when he can go after his cho
N_stefanie Akwa
Nov 03, 2010 N_stefanie Akwa rated it liked it
N_katiebernard
Oct 28, 2010 N_katiebernard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical-fic
This story is told form the point of view of a white, young boy. He grows up in the south during the time of the Ku Klux Klan. He is proud of his father, a shop owner who gets along with the other men in town and seems to be quite influential among them. The young boy learns about the concept of racism from another young boy and he can't understand why some don't like others. He then learns from his other friend, an African American boy, that there are violent men who dress in white and hurt tho ...more
Lindy
Mar 08, 2016 Lindy added it
Upper Elementary - James lived in Mississippi during the 1930s. His father owned a general store, and the men would always gather and talk on the porch. James respected his father very much. James would fish with Leroy, a black boy, but Leroy could never tell because he was afraid of the Klan. James didn't know about the Klan. James' friend Red told him that the black preacher's house had been burned. James couldn't believe it. Even more, the men had been talking about it outside his father's st ...more
Angela
Aug 17, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Long, dark, and discouraging. The whole time I was reading this to my little one -- and it took us almost a week's worth of story time to wade through it -- I kept thinking there would be something to make it worthwhile. There's no lesson in the book, no indication of how the main character uses his knowledge to be more or less racist than those around him. Only lesson I can figure is that kids can't trust adults -- not exactly the lesson I want to start out my little one with. While I'm sure th ...more
Jordan Laskoski
Nov 11, 2011 Jordan Laskoski rated it liked it
This book was very sad and discouraging. I thought that this story had no real lesson, which kind of upset me. It is definitely a short, challenging snapshot of civil rights history which I thought was beautifully drawn, but not written. The pictures seemed very real and I could see how a child would love them. I also think young children would get bored with this book and have no real interest in the story line.
Andrea
Oct 02, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
I was not a big fan of this book. However it did paint a good picture about historical events. One of the issues I had with this book was the character did not seem to take anything away from seeing his dad wearing the white pointy cloth over his face. The character went about his business like it never occurred. I think the story could have had a deeper meaning, a better storyline.
Jason Eifling
May 26, 2016 Jason Eifling rated it liked it
Make sure you preview this book before reading it to your little one. Book teaches a lesson, but I'm not real sure what it wants to teach. Artwork is great and story has truth in in, just be ready to field lots of questions when reading it to younger audiences.
Preston Foote
The author of this book is Ruth Vander Zee. I thought that this book was a great book about how in our history that we separated black and white people. And no one really like that. It also had the KKK in the book to represent that time period.
Trevor
Feb 23, 2008 Trevor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid_lit
My co-worker/friend and I read this book today and she remarked, "I love it when an author acknowledges that kids have brains, and writes something that allows them to use it." Amen -- This is a short, challenging snapshot of civil rights history, beautifully drawn and written.
Paige Y.
This book is going to work really well with out study of the 20th century. My only complaint is that there are pages where the type bleeds into the pictures and I found it difficult to read those sections.

Lots of discussion to have with kids.
Morgan Meyers
Jan 18, 2012 Morgan Meyers rated it it was amazing
This book confronts a social injustice that has plagued our American history. While it deals with an uncomfortable issue, it would be an important book to share with students, as it would allow them to dialogue about their thoughts and feelings about racial and hate crimes.
Amanda Hicks
I really liked this book. I think it would be appropriate for higher elementary grades. It could definitely be used for a history lesson. This was a very eye opening book and it could teach children about fairness and doing what's right Even when no one else is.
April Smith
This book helps children understand what life was like during the 1930's. This book gives the children idea about segregation and how African American's were treated. This would be a great book to use as a read aloud to help introduce the idea of segregation.
Rachel
Mar 26, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Great book that show what it is like for a young white boy in the south to realize all the racism around him and he finds out that his father is a Klan member. Would be a great book to jump start a discussion because the ending leaves the reader hanging.
Erica Hendrickson
Mar 28, 2013 Erica Hendrickson rated it did not like it
The illustrations are wonderful and the book is well written, I just did not like the ending. I feel the direction this book goes is more suited to middle or high school age, not young children.
Samantha
Sep 20, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Great way to teach history in the classroom.
Ellie Dietzen
this book is about the KKK. not the best classroom book, but could be used during a history lesson or they could have it read to them so there can be discussion.
Hannah
Apr 02, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it
Not a book I would read to children in my classroom. Its very compelling but to find out your father is a KKK guy, I dont like children should read books about that.
Tracy
Nov 30, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
A great book. I would recommend to a friend.
Ms. B
Ms. B rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2010
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Arlene Vargas
Arlene Vargas rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Nancy Cavanaugh
Nancy Cavanaugh rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2012
Christie
Christie rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Sister.Jade
Sister.Jade rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Tory
Oct 06, 2014 Tory rated it liked it
Mr. Tobin
Mr. Tobin rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013