Start by marking “Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies” as Want to Read:
Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies

Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,388 Ratings  ·  238 Reviews
Corporate executives are struggling with a new trend: people using online social technologies (blogs, social networking sites, YouTube, podcasts) to discuss products and companies, write their own news, and find their own deals. This groundswell is global, it s unstoppable, it affects every industry and it s utterly foreign to the powerful companies running things now.

When
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 7th 2008 by Your Coach In A Box (first published 2008)

Linda
Aug 16, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: Mary Gilbert

Nearly everything I do in marketing has to do with the groundswell, the current movement of everything Web 2.0, blogs, viral, social networks and more. Or simply put, people + technology.

I also happen to live at ground zero for all this stuff, so when I spotted the spiraling lime-and-wasabi colored book at work and asked to borrow it, I knew it'd be an investment in timeliness and relevance.

What I like best about Groundswellis how authors Charlene Li and
JD Lasica
Dec 26, 2008 JD Lasica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Groundswell: Winning in a world transformed by social technologies, by Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff, is the definitive guide to how businesses are grappling with the social media revolution. The revolution is still in its early stages, and the old order still clings tenaciously to power — we're living in the throes of transformative change, which can be at once exhilarating and disorienting.

Li and Bernoff provide a framework for describing these fundamental changes, which they call "the groundsw
Richard MacManus
Jul 05, 2008 Richard MacManus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: company folks
This book is aimed at company people who may not know much about the Social Web, other than they want to be in on the action. So *I'm* not the target market.

I browsed through the book on a lazy sunday and thought it had some great data in it. The authors obviously know their stuff and I have huge respect for Charlene Li as a social media analyst.

I must admit I was also checking to see if ReadWriteWeb was cited. Disappointingly, no. The book can't be that cutting edge then, ay? ;-)

Overall, soli
Frank
Jan 23, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Groundswell is a really great survey book about the importance of social media for business. Here, the authors interpret social media as the groundswell, "a spontaneous movement of people using online tools to connect, take charge of their experience, and get what they need -- information, support, ideas, products, and bargaining power -- from each other."

The book is well-structured and begins at a high-level, defining the groundswell and why it's vital for businesses today. Next, the authors in
This book provides a good overview of the concept of the groundswell - the notion that people are now getting information from others online that they would otherwise gotten from brands. Of course, this means that power has shifted and companies must adapt.

The book is practical and approachable for those marketers or communicators looking to understand the motivations behind online communities and social media and the opportunities they pose for brands to build customers and ambassadors within
Kathryn Salek
Feb 22, 2015 Kathryn Salek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an excellent book for understanding the phenomenal growth of social media and the way it has forever changed marketing. I especially loved that pricing for social media monitoring among other things was included - not enough business or marketing books include this kind of info in my opinion. The case studies were also great. I especially enjoyed the ones on Dell, Best Buy, Razorfish, GM, Lego and Mini Cooper.

I read this book for the first time years after it's first publication date and
Mhinchley
Jan 25, 2016 Mhinchley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A great book on social media marketing. Its current and provides sound advice on how to implement social media into a work/corporate setting. I found a lot of value in the social technographs that Forrester/authors have come up with which highlights the different levels of involvement in social media people have. The book offers some throughful answers to strategic questions and doesn't just focus on current social media tools. I really enjoyed this book and didn't give it 5 out of 5 stars as I ...more
Jakrapong Kongmalai
The best resource for those who aim to set up the digital business strategy for their organization.
Duy Nguyen
Nov 02, 2014 Duy Nguyen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good read for ideas generating in the time of social media and communication.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro El mundo groundswell, de Charlene Li y Josh Bernoff.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: innovación, internet y nuevas tecnologías.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro El mundo groundswell, Cómo aprovechar los movimientos sociales espontáneos en Internet: El mundo groundswell
Stephanie
Apr 13, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I borrowed this book from the library and enjoyed it enough that I am planning to buy a copy.

If you already get social media, this book will not have any new revelations. What I think is valuable is the context in which the book places social media and provides a framework for thinking about it. Now this framework is aimed really big companies, but I think the structure is useful to think about even for the ordinary person.

If you think social media is not relevant to your organization, then thi
E
Oct 11, 2010 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Expert analysis of the newest internet tools and how to exploit them

Do you visit a social networking site at least once a month, like "one in four online American adults"? Do you read an online journal or blog, like 52% of online Japanese? Social networks, blogs, wikis, tags, online reviews, support forums and widgets are all part of the latest online revolution, a "groundswell" that is transforming not only the internet but the way the world works. Companies that lack the vision to join this g
Kierk
May 03, 2010 Kierk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I'm sure that this book as informative to those not already familiar with Facebook and Twitter I did not find that it told me anything really new. I came away with the feeling that it was full of valuable argument content for convincing our unknowing associates that social networking has value and that it works.

Unfortunately I was looking for information geared to the entrepreneur / small businessperson rather that the multinationals that were used in the book as examples. The aut... (show
Jelinas
Jan 08, 2011 Jelinas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a writer. I'm not a techie. I'm not an entrepreneur. I'm just a girl who hates grammatical mistakes and improprer use of punctuation and enjoys snappy prose.

Well, Groundswell isn't written for people like me, but it was still an interesting read. Charlene Li does an excellent job of examining the ways in which companies and brands are able to build a groundswell of support for themselves on the internet.

What it really boils down to is listening to your online community and showing them that
Shawn Buckle
Feb 11, 2012 Shawn Buckle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Groundswell is defined as the social media momentum that has swept over us of recent. With almost a billion people using Facebook alone, social technologies have allowed people to connect in ways never before. This has had dramatic effects on the way businesses operate.

It goes without saying that it is fundamental you go where your customers are, meaning it's important to participate in social media, since that is where people are but also because there is an expectation to be there. There shou
Monique Kapustin
Groundswell: Winning in a world transformed by social technologies is an excellent read for anyone wanting to dive into the world of social media, and I can see using it as a handbook for understanding and developing social media strategies.

Unlike some of the other books out there claiming to unlock the secrets of social media using only the author's opinion or personal experience, Groundswell pairs sound advice with diverse case studies and actual statistics. It doesn't promise to give you the
Amber
Mar 04, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Groundswell as part of a course on social media marketing that I am taking at George Brown College. I was immediately engaged by the simple, conversational tone of the writing and interesting case studies. When I read something for professional development purposes I expect examples of how to apply the techniques or tools being discussed, and this book delivered: every tool type had multiple cases studies and discussed successes and failures. I also appreciated the formatting of the book ...more
Puja
This book is a great overview of social media and offers detailed insight into how brands are affected by the new media revolution. Essentially it is a guide for marketing in an Internet driven world; it highlights the same principles of offline marketing - understanding the needs of the target audience and interacting with it accordingly - with inputs on what efforts are needed to achieve the business goals in a more open and interactive medium that is only growing in importance everyday.

The f
Sheryl
Oct 31, 2009 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Groundswell is a great book to help people understand the revolutionary social technology changes that are occurring, why they are happening, and how to tap into it and transform your business. It’s a very interesting read with good information, much of it familiar though, particularly for those already actively involved in social media.

The authors explain that people utilize social media to connect, collaborate, react, organize, and accelerate consumption. They give numerous examples of tools
Gene Babon
Aug 24, 2010 Gene Babon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strategy
The groundswell is a spontaneous movement of people using online tools to connect. Groundswell was one of the first, and best documented, books chronicling the social media phenomenon.

Since the book was published in 2008, it would be easy to dismiss this research-oriented guidebook as dated. After all, a technology called Twitter is relegated to single page. The authors conclude as follows: "Twitter is likely to find its place among other groundswell technologies, and companies should pay attent
Jignesh Shah
Jan 10, 2015 Jignesh Shah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Practical insights into how and why people participate in social technologies and how traditional companies can leverage this undeniable phenomenon.

Most valuable is the discussion around how social computing can help businesses. Groundswell breakups the possibilities in to five categories - listening, talking, energizing, supporting and embracing. In reality, there is much overlap among these categories and one can often lead to the other. Still, the recommendation to focus on a single clear ob
Socialbookshelves.com
Groundswell is highly-rated, one of the first so-called 'social media books' to be released and one which reveals all kinds of interesting information that will change the way that you look at the world. We're experiencing a groundswell, a term that's used to refer to the social phenomenon which has changed both the way that we interact with each other and the way that we access information.

Today's consumers are empowered to tell your brand's story whether you like it or not, through blogs and s
Breck
Nov 02, 2008 Breck rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Groundswell is basically the idea that customers are now able to share information rapidly and easily and in order for a business to succeed they need to tap the ideas and opinions of their customer in order to thrive and remain competitive.

The authors define "groundswell" as: a social trend in which people use technologies to get things they need from each other rather than from traditional institutions."

The authors detail how a company can embrace the "groundswell" rather than hide from it by
Jen
Nov 28, 2008 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marketers and company innovators
Shelves: business
This book is great...if you're not from the Facebook generation. The first couple of chapters were almost snoozers for me. The only thing that really saved it was the real-life stories the authors included. The stories managed to hold my interest long enough for me to move on to the next chapters.

What I mainly gathered from this book--and you could gather this on your own if you don't live under a rock--is that media and marketing are moving more and more toward the consumer. That is, if you pla
Chris
Sep 27, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explains the confounding problems of how the online world can help or destory a companies image. The type of technology a company uses to communicate with its customers and employees is crucial to understanding what areas need to be improved upon and what areas need to be enhanced or taken away.
There are some great points and examples the authors make about what a company needs to know about how to go about creating this change in the company to understanding the groundswell. Many of
John
A great book for those corporate marketing types who have no idea what people do on the internets. I expected more from the authors who clearly have a firm grasp on the research (the authors are Forrester analysts). I think the reliance on the smae structure for each chapter limited the book. It worked for talking about blogs and wikis, but did not work for chapters on forums and ratings and reviews.

The first chapter is worth reading for anyone who deals with online content. It is a sober remin
Richard Houchin
This is the first book I've read that is targeted at corporate workers. Its main thrust is about how to take advantage of social media to expand the success of a company, not only in terms of profit but also in terms of being a good place to work where employees can feel meaningful.

But aside from its thesis, the book works just well as a collection of anecdotes about how technology is being used. It's fascinating reading about Dell's response to laptops that erupt in flame, or how Digg's owner w
David
Jul 18, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This was the first social technology book that I went through and I was pretty impressed. The authors did a very good job discussing some of the current major players in the social media market (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.). They also educated me on the purpose of other major types of technologies like Digg and Delicious.

One thing that really impressed me is the book spent quality time developing the "why" behind these tools. The tools are there to listen to the consumers, coworkers o
Carina
Sep 30, 2010 Carina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Social technologies are fundamentally changing the way people get information. This book is advice for businesses on how to adapt to this change. A broad analysis of various kinds of social media, various types of participation in social media, and ways that businesses use social media to connect with their customers in every phase of development -- research, marketing, support, and feedback.

Notes:
- Types of participation: creators, critics, collectors, joiners, spectators
- Reasons people use so
Deborah
Fairly good book on how to leverage social media for businesses. I have to admit though, the only thing I really recall from this book is that my all time favorite college teacher had a whole section devoted to some research she had been working on (and I'm a little ticked I didn't try to get involved in one of her projects on the side).
How are you going to use the book? 1 21 Jun 29, 2008 11:18PM
  • The Cluetrain Manifesto
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation Is Changing Your World
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • The New Influencers: A Marketer's Guide to the New Social Media
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Naked Conversations: How Blogs Are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • Return On Influence: The Revolutionary Power of Klout, Social Scoring, and Influence Marketing
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs