Start by marking “Crime Partners” as Want to Read:
Crime Partners

Crime Partners (Kenyatta #1)

Goines's powerful first novel in the Kenyatta series lays bare the bloody, brutal world of crime in the black ghetto--where, as Goines puts it, "kindness is the sweetest con of all." Here is the gutsy and often shocking world of Billy and Jackie, prison buddies on the streets and hot on the trigger.

Published November 1st 2000 by Holloway House (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Crime Partners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime Partners

Jen
Aug 31, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Jon
Nov 06, 2016 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, and pretty intense. Also wraps up really quickly.
Matt
Jul 02, 2015 Matt rated it liked it
I used to work at a bookstore where Goines' books had a weird reputation-- I guess that they were thought of as hood books, and more likely to be stolen than other books, but we also sold enough of them to keep them in stock. But they had an aura of being bad, unreadable, unredeemed, I think in contrast to someone like Chester Himes.

This book definitely isn't fun in the way that Himes' books are. Jackie and Billy don't really banter, and there aren't comic characters here, really. Instead, there
Tammy Benton
Apr 30, 2016 Tammy Benton rated it really liked it
Crime Partners by Donald Goines. It was a good book I really enjoyed it. It was about Billy Good and his partner in crime is Jackie Walker. It start off they are hired by Kenyatta to kill some racist police officers. Both Billy and Jackie serve time and they pulled jobs to survive. It also was full action cold-blooded murder mayhem. Both Jackie and Billy found women they ended up fall for and then the trouble being. Kenyatta wanted them to get rid of a drug pusher name Little David little did th ...more
Corto
Oct 23, 2016 Corto rated it liked it
More a novella than a novel, this is the first part of a tetralogy.

It's a very angry book: a militant revenge fantasy with "utopian" elements (of a sort) by an African-American ex-con. Given the subject matter- and how the impetus of its acrimony is playing itself out in a very real way in the life of today's America- it's not worth criticizing its substance, style, or structure.

I didn't enjoy reading this book (I wasn't supposed to), but somehow I feel compelled to complete the overarching st
Eva Leger
Sep 13, 2010 Eva Leger rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Goines fans
Recommended to Eva by: like the author
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
I was a little concerned about reading Goines' first book because I've read enough debuts that sucked where the author got into his or her groove as time went on. There is no reason for concern with Crime Partners.
The story goes back and forth between to cops buddies and Billy and Jackie and neither part is more interesting than the other. I don't know how he did it but Goines can make ordering pizza fascinating to me. The writing is awesome, like I've always seen so far with his books.
Andrew Arbow
Aug 05, 2014 Andrew Arbow rated it liked it
Donald Goines is alway an entertaining author but there really aren't much too his books. They are really to me Louis L'amour stories set in the ghetto instead of the west which lends itself pretty well. But he really wrote to get paid and buy more heroin. They have a limit to how good they are going to be.
Brent Shelton
Nov 02, 2010 Brent Shelton rated it it was amazing
This book is as addicting as one of it's main themes, I can almost guarantee you that if you read the first chapter you will not be able to not finish the book, it will punch you in the soul that hard.
Mahasin
this book is a compilation of all of the negative stereotypes that white people believe about African Americans
Lunden
Jan 23, 2013 Lunden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book was just ok for me. I read it in a day but it lacked depth. No twists or turns and it ended rather abruptly. Just OK for me.
Ricky Wright
Ricky Wright rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Wilma
Wilma rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Orsayor
Orsayor rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Mona Lanton Perry
Mona Lanton Perry rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2009
Bryce Guillory
Bryce Guillory rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Pete
Pete rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Ryan Moore
Ryan Moore rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Ralph Leiva
Ralph Leiva rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2014
Marc Etienne
Marc Etienne rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Antonica
Antonica rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2009
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Ambitious Barr-campbell
Ambitious Barr-campbell rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Jorji Brown
Jorji Brown rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2016
Tamiko Benjamin
Tamiko Benjamin rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Duran Grant
Duran Grant rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
RK Byers
Jul 19, 2009 RK Byers rated it really liked it
this book was actually kinda sad.
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2010
Raymond
Raymond rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2012
L'oreal Jackson
L'oreal Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
  • Poison
  • Homeboy
  • I'm Telling: A Novel
  • Going Broke
Donald Goines was born in Detroit to a relatively comfortable family - his parents owned a local dry cleaner, and he did not have problems with the law or drugs. Goines attended Catholic elementary school and was expected to go into his family's laundry business. Instead Goines enlisted in the US Air Force, and to get in he had to lie his age. From 1952 to 1955 he served in the army. During this p ...more
More about Donald Goines...

Kenyatta (4 books)