Start by marking “Born with a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story” as Want to Read:
Born with a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story

Born with a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Learning Magazine Teacher's Choice Award National Gold Ink Awards Silver Award Children's Books Endorsed by astronaut Edgar Mitchell, Nobel prize winner Leon Lederman, cosmologist Brian Swimme, and others.
Published January 1st 2002 by Dawn Publications (CA)

Rebecca Carlsen
Apr 10, 2014 Rebecca Carlsen rated it really liked it
I am a secular homeschool mom of 2 boys, aged 5 & 7, and highly recommend this series for young children. The books are beautifully illustrated and poetically written and cover the big bang, the beginning of life on earth, and evolution.

"Born with a Bang" is the first in the series and describes the beginning of the Universe. It is written from the 1st person perspective of The Universe and the science is explained in a way that is very easy for young children to grasp. The illustrations ar
Katey
Dec 24, 2010 Katey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: curious children
I wish I could rate this book 5 stars, as I think it does an exemplary job at explaining the Big Bang to children, but the literary technique used in this book- anthropomorphizing the Universe as some emotional Mother/Creator- was a bit too new agey and akin to religion for me. Perhaps it helps children understand better, but this book should not be used alone in teaching these facts and theories, in my opinion.

The artwork is amazing and the factual part of it is accurate as far as I know (and o
Imogene Drummond
Oct 10, 2015 Imogene Drummond rated it it was amazing
"BORN WITH A BANG: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story," written by Jennifer Morgan and illustrated by Dana Lynne Andersen, is superb! I love the way Jennifer Morgan immediately engages the reader by telling the story of the birth of the universe—from the point of view of the universe! Using this literary device, Morgan draws her young readers in and links and connects them inextricably with the birth and growth of the cosmos. In this uniquely vibrant book, beautifully designed with Andersen’s d ...more
Gemma Duling
Apr 24, 2015 Gemma Duling rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I really liked this book because the illustrations made me want to learn about it. The bolded sentences helped guide the reading as to what is important.

Purpose:
I would use this book for a science section to present the universe to the children. It explains the start of the universe in an exciting way and makes it fun for children. They will realize how big the universe actually is. This could also be used for independent reading so they can think more critically to themselves
Sandra Dutton
Apr 08, 2010 Sandra Dutton rated it it was amazing
Three of the best children’s books I’ve found on evolution are a series by Jennifer Morgan and Dana Lynne Andersen (illustrator): Born with a Bang, From Lava to Life, and Mammals Who Morph. Morgan tells the story of the universe from the universe’s point of view, using metaphors a child can identify with: “About 13 billion years ago, or so, I was smaller than a piece of dust under your bed.” That piece of dust bursts into a “gargantuan balloon the size of a galaxy” and describes its future in te ...more
Angela
Aug 07, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
I wish I could give this book 5 stars, I really do. The illustrations are gorgeous, and there are so few books on this topic for young children. However, I had a really hard time with the first-person perspective and the anthropomorphism of the Universe. A pre-BBT universe dreams of galaxies, planets, and earthly animals so she decides to become the things she dreams of. This conscienceness of choice feels like a short slip to "Intelligent Design" but if you can leave it at artistic license it i ...more
Miranda
Nov 26, 2009 Miranda rated it it was amazing
I'm buying this one for my kids! It tells the story of the big bang from the perspective of the universe personified. It really helps kids understand the the universe is part of us and that we are the universe. If people stopped taking the bible literally, I think all people would appreciate this book. In reality, since Jesus spoke metaphorically, I think this book actually expresses what he meant more than most church interpretations.

This book is priceless. Something I've been looking for awhil
Ami
Jul 25, 2016 Ami rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book I've read about the birth of the universe. Spiritual, scientific, filled with love and wonder.
Blake
Jun 03, 2016 Blake rated it it was amazing
Love this book. I use it to help tell the first Montessori Great Lesson about the creation of the universe.
Cindi
Nov 02, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing
This book was well done. The artwork is exceptional and the theories of time and space as they stand were presented so that children can understand them. This story is told in an anthropomorphic way with the universe speaking to the reader. I learned a lot reading this book and it left me with a desire to learn more. My thirteen year old also read it and was amazed!
Janice
Sep 25, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-non-fiction
Beautifully illustrated. Beautifully told. This book relates the story of our planet for children. This is the second book in the series. The first had the story of the Big Bang, and this is how life developed. We go from bacteria to mammals with phenomenal drawings and the type goes with what the author wants to stress.

This is good for third grade and beyond.
Erienne
Jan 11, 2013 Erienne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations accompany this explanation of how our universe began. This was recommended to me by a friend and these books are wonderful--this is the first in a series of three.
Monique
Jun 19, 2013 Monique rated it it was amazing
Fantastic series on evolution and the Big Bang. My 4 year old, who is a space junkie, loved it.
Mandie Mc
Dec 02, 2012 Mandie Mc rated it really liked it
A little heavy on the anthropomorphizing, but my kids enjoyed it.
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Kimmy Gaul
Kimmy Gaul marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Sami Richardson
Sami Richardson marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Disco-munication
Disco-munication marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Kaavya Jethwa
Kaavya Jethwa rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Nico
Nico added it
Jun 14, 2016
Michelle Uhlfelder
Michelle Uhlfelder rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Thinking Mom
Thinking Mom marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story
  • Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came To Be
  • Older than The Stars
  • Classic Myths to Read Aloud: The Great Stories of Greek and Roman Mythology, Specially Arranged for Children Five and Up by an Educational Expert
  • What Is God?
  • The Tree of Life: Charles Darwin
  • The Planets in Our Solar System
  • The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice
  • Child's Introduction to the Night Sky: The Story of the Stars, Planets, and Constellations--and How You Can Find Them in the Sky
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • The Reason for a Flower
  • Planet Earth: What Planet Are You On? (Basher Science)
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • Maybe Right, Maybe Wrong
  • Space Boy
  • Children Just Like Me: Celebrations!
  • In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World