Born with a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story

Born with a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Learning Magazine "Teacher's Choice Award" National Gold Ink Awards "Silver Award Children's Books" Endorsed by astronaut Edgar Mitchell, Nobel prize winner Leon Lederman, cosmologist Brian Swimme, and others.
Published January 1st 2002 by Dawn Publications (CA)

Rebecca Carlsen
I am a secular homeschool mom of 2 boys, aged 5 & 7, and highly recommend this series for young children. The books are beautifully illustrated and poetically written and cover the big bang, the beginning of life on earth, and evolution.

"Born with a Bang" is the first in the series and describes the beginning of the Universe. It is written from the 1st person perspective of The Universe and the science is explained in a way that is very easy for young children to grasp. The illustrations ar...more
Katey
Dec 24, 2010 Katey rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: curious children
I wish I could rate this book 5 stars, as I think it does an exemplary job at explaining the Big Bang to children, but the literary technique used in this book- anthropomorphizing the Universe as some emotional Mother/Creator- was a bit too new agey and akin to religion for me. Perhaps it helps children understand better, but this book should not be used alone in teaching these facts and theories, in my opinion.

The artwork is amazing and the factual part of it is accurate as far as I know (and o...more
Sandra Dutton
Three of the best children’s books I’ve found on evolution are a series by Jennifer Morgan and Dana Lynne Andersen (illustrator): Born with a Bang, From Lava to Life, and Mammals Who Morph. Morgan tells the story of the universe from the universe’s point of view, using metaphors a child can identify with: “About 13 billion years ago, or so, I was smaller than a piece of dust under your bed.” That piece of dust bursts into a “gargantuan balloon the size of a galaxy” and describes its future in te...more
Angela
I wish I could give this book 5 stars, I really do. The illustrations are gorgeous, and there are so few books on this topic for young children. However, I had a really hard time with the first-person perspective and the anthropomorphism of the Universe. A pre-BBT universe dreams of galaxies, planets, and earthly animals so she decides to become the things she dreams of. This conscienceness of choice feels like a short slip to "Intelligent Design" but if you can leave it at artistic license it i...more
Miranda
I'm buying this one for my kids! It tells the story of the big bang from the perspective of the universe personified. It really helps kids understand the the universe is part of us and that we are the universe. If people stopped taking the bible literally, I think all people would appreciate this book. In reality, since Jesus spoke metaphorically, I think this book actually expresses what he meant more than most church interpretations.

This book is priceless. Something I've been looking for awhil...more
Cindi
This book was well done. The artwork is exceptional and the theories of time and space as they stand were presented so that children can understand them. This story is told in an anthropomorphic way with the universe speaking to the reader. I learned a lot reading this book and it left me with a desire to learn more. My thirteen year old also read it and was amazed!
Janice
Beautifully illustrated. Beautifully told. This book relates the story of our planet for children. This is the second book in the series. The first had the story of the Big Bang, and this is how life developed. We go from bacteria to mammals with phenomenal drawings and the type goes with what the author wants to stress.

This is good for third grade and beyond.
Erienne
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations accompany this explanation of how our universe began. This was recommended to me by a friend and these books are wonderful--this is the first in a series of three.
Monique
Fantastic series on evolution and the Big Bang. My 4 year old, who is a space junkie, loved it.
Mandie Mc
A little heavy on the anthropomorphizing, but my kids enjoyed it.
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Elisabeth Hurley
Elisabeth Hurley marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Jared
Jared added it
Sep 16, 2013
Leslyn Lang
Leslyn Lang marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Asa
Asa added it
Jul 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
From Lava to Life: Book Two: The Universe tells our Earth Story: 2 Mammals Who Morph: The Universe Tells Our Evolution Story: Book 3 (The Universe Series) (Sharing Nature with Children Books) A Wind from the Sea Stop Smoking - If I Can Quit Smoking, You Can IS FUNDRAISING THROUGH BINGO A GOOD IDEA FOR MY NONPROFIT? (Ideas for your nonprofit, charity, team, club, or church group)