Start by marking “Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3)

Flambards in Summer (Flambards #3)

Widowed during the First World War at the age of 21, Christina returns to Flambards in the hope of picking up the threads of the life she knew before her marriage. But the house is not the same - the paddocks are a jungle and the once busy stables are desolate. Christina sets herself to the task of returning Flambards to its former glory.
Published November 1999 by Oxford Childrens (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Flambards in Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flambards in Summer

Katrina
Apr 18, 2016 Katrina rated it it was amazing
The newly widowed Christina ends up going back to Flambards where she is shocked to discover that the horses are all gone and the place is falling apart. She sets about trying to revitalise the place again and making it into a profitable farm. Just when everything seems to be going well she gets a huge shock that wrecks her dreams. I think this book gives a good idea of what life was like in rural Britain during World War 1 when most of the men and horses had been called up to the war fronts. A ...more
Kate
Jul 22, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Deborah
Sep 16, 2014 Deborah rated it liked it
Things cheer up a bit in the last of the original Flambards trilogy, although this isn't immediately obvious. But Christina is forced to wake up and actually do stuff, to build her own life and make a success of it. This is by no means easy but it makes for a much more satisfying story than the previous two instalments.

Not that Christina isn't still annoying. She is. But at least now she's not encumbered by the Russells, just by their servants and children (sigh). And even when it turns out she'
Jane Irish Nelson
Mar 11, 2015 Jane Irish Nelson rated it really liked it
Don't read this review if you haven't already read the previous books in this series! Otherwise the rest of this will serve as a spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Trish
Aug 27, 2014 Trish rated it it was amazing
This concluded the trilogy until the series was televised and shown on Masterpiece Theater here in the States. Afterwards, she added a 4th book, which destroyed the themes developed in the first three. This is a series I reread several times, and own (even #4).
Ellie
Mar 14, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing
In this book, I feel that it is full of worry and loss , as well as happiness and new love. I almost felt like crying at some parts. Although none of the books in the series measure up to the first one, this is still a great book.
Andrew McDiarmid
Flambards in Summer

I loved this book because I loved Flambards (the first book in the series) and I am hoping to receive the rest of the series soon.
I loved Tizzy, the brief mention of Dorothy and Dick.
Julie
Oct 11, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
great
Melody
Jan 08, 2010 Melody rated it liked it
I liked this SO much better than the second in the series. Christina is herself again, although widowed and inexplicably sick to her stomach. Flambards is a ruin, and Mark is missing, presumed dead in the war. And there are horses at Flambards again, and I think Peyton is at her best when writing about them. I'm not a real romance fan, but once I'm hooked, I have to find out what happens next. So on to the last book I go...
Phoebe Lim
Feb 26, 2016 Phoebe Lim rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
This book is mostly about how Christina had to learn to be independent after she lost him. Glad that she made the decision to move back to Flambards and keep it. (due to a surprise) The story in this book made it seem that everything was going smoothly and they were going to live happily ever after. A really peaceful read compared to the sequel.
Amy
Dec 21, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Improvement on the second book by the absence of Will. Christina, as I suspected, is a much more likeable character on her own. Bit of grit to her which doesn't come out well in 'clouds'.
Tabitha Suzuma
Feb 03, 2013 Tabitha Suzuma rated it it was amazing
Favourite childhood author who read my first attempt at a book when I was 17, despite having never met me!
Karen L.
Jul 27, 2012 Karen L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This was the best in the Flambards trilogy! Lots of excitement and character depth in this last gem.
Anita Williamson
Apr 02, 2012 Anita Williamson rated it really liked it
This is how the series should have ended. I loved her getting together with Dick. Wonderful
AJ
Feb 01, 2010 AJ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romance, period-piece buffs
Recommended to AJ by: no one
Chapters: 14 // Pages: 189

See my critique for the first in the series.
Annie
Mar 16, 2011 Annie rated it liked it
Shelves: _2011_books
I had completely forgotten the plot of this book in the last 20 years.
Flannery
Jun 26, 2007 Flannery rated it it was amazing
I remember this one being my favorite Flambards book.
Ciara Yvonne
Ciara Yvonne marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Makaria Pfeiffer
Makaria Pfeiffer rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Jane Rae
Jane Rae rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Maree Gray
Maree Gray rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Maddie Longson
Maddie Longson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Laura Freeman
Laura Freeman rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Felicity
Felicity rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Jawaher
Jawaher rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Ava
Ava added it
Aug 07, 2016
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • Carney's House Party (Deep Valley, #1)
  • Öppet hav (En ö i havet, #4)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • New Chronicles of Rebecca
  • Practically Seventeen (Tobey Heydon, #1)
  • The Substitute Guest
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Just Jane (Ladies of History, #2)
  • The House In Norham Gardens
  • Damned Strong Love: The True Story of Willi G. and Stefan K.
  • The Starlight Barking (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #2)
  • Here Was a Man
  • Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
  • Silver Brumby Kingdom
  • Spring for Susannah
  • Frances's Story (Quantock Quartet, #2)
  • Kulla-Gulla (Kulla-Gulla, #1)

Flambards (4 books)
  • Flambards (Flambards, #1)
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)