Start by marking “Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real” as Want to Read:
Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real

Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  735 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Making dreams come true is what Disney does best -- and the Imagineers unite art and science to create a world in which reality surpasses imagination. The Imagineers are like Santa's elves: they are the nuts-and-bolts workers who allow Disney's magic to take flight. Walt Disney Imagineering explains in colorful detail the making of the magic of Walt Disney World, Disneylan ...more
Published October 7th 1998 by Disney Editions (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Walt Disney Imagineering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walt Disney Imagineering

Sesana
There's a ton of fantastic images in here, mostly early concept art for the various Disney parks and attractions. It's a must look at for fans of the Disney parks. The written content is, sadly, a little on the shallow side. It's a very light, very brief look at the creative process of WDI. But there's little to no depth, and few specifics. It doesn't give a sense of what it's really like to work at WDI. It's also, large format aside, a very quick read. But very much worth looking at, if only fo ...more
Andrew Frueh
This book is a wealth of amazing concept art and photography of the design process. Beyond that, it falls short. The writing reeks of corporate propaganda. The biggest problem is that it lacks any real substance. The book spends two hundred pages painting Imagineering as a wonderland for creative people, but anyone with a brain in their head knows that's a fantasy. I believe that the folks at Imagineering have the opportunity to do some wonderful things, but at the end of the day I know they sti ...more
Rick Ludwig
The content is a little thin on detail, but it is always interesting to go even slightly behind the scenes. I sense the heavy hand of corporate on this. Walt had it right that you only need to fear copycats if you stop innovating. Oh well.
Chris
Love this book. I had the pleasure of working with one of the authors, a member of the Imagineering "Book Team", Bruce Gordon. We lost Bruce a few years ago and his friendship and support as well as his kind spirit meant a lot to me and those he worked with at WDI. I highly recommend this books for the collector of Disney books.
Jeff
A very tall book which for my tastes does pretty well covering the Imagineer domain. A lot of info about the other parks too, which is ok but what I really looked forward to was a big coffee book about Disneyland. Regardless this is a great coffee table book and an awesome conversation piece, as well as having tons of pictures about concepts and early models for a lot of attractions. Just a fun "curl up and let your lap fall asleep because it's so heavy" book.
Craig Williams
There is not a lot of text to this book, but there are a ton of pictures and that does not even begin to describe it. This book is the greatest book that any Disney parks fan could ever possibly read and is possibly even considered the holy grail of Disney books. This book shows all of the background that goes into making the Disney parks and you get to see how it starts from just an idea and progresses to reality. It is almost indescribable.
Brittany
What a fantastic read! The pictures are gorgeous pieces of art in their own right and breathtaking insights into Disneyland attractions of the past, present and even those that never made it off the drawing board. The story is easy to follow from cover to cover as you walk through the creative process of all Imagineers. Beautiful book and engaging read. Certainly a favorite.
Allison
Fun book! Great stories and illustrations. If you love Disney or art or ideas than this book is worth a read! I love the history that is told about the projects and places that came to be and even the things that didn't come to be! :) A student recommended it to me and let me borrow it. It was a textbook for one of her sister's classes at UCLA.
Amber
It give the history of how Walt Disney Company became what it is today. Also goes into detail about how the artist/designers came up with rides, movies etc. Wonderful coffee table book.

Simone

The pictures and captions in this are really fun but the rest of the text is just Disney corporate text. Also this mainly seem focused on EuroDisney.
Jeffrey
An amazing window into the designs and engineering challenges of building amusement parks, including concept sketches and evolution of ideas.
Richard Harrison
A truly beautiful picture replete with gorgeous background art that is a wonderful resource for Disney park aficionados.
Vania Liberoff
Todo lo que tenga que ver con Walt Disney y su obra de vida me llama. Y este libro contiene historias maravillosas.
Lakin
May 07, 2010 Lakin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, especially Disney fans.
who better to write a book about Imagineering than the Imagineers, themselves? This was such a great book.
Robbie
It was fun to read this and learn a little bit more about the park I basically "live" in. lol.
Amanda Wheet
A lovely book, amazing to look at the potential of WDI. Sometimes it feels a bit wasted right now.
Anthony
Excellent book! Great insight and details. This makes for a great coffee book.
Brian
I have dreamed of being an Imagineer since I was 5 years old.
Rae
Awesome insight into the world of Disney Imagineering!
Abraham Ray
nice disney book for disney movie lovers!
Heatherjoy
I want to be an imagineer soooo bad!!!!
andy orin
Gorgeous illustrations.
Tracey
Dec 29, 2007 Tracey marked it as to-read
bought 12/07
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Dustin Montierth
Dustin Montierth marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Hopelyn Kovacs
Hopelyn Kovacs marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Cale
Cale marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • The Vault of Walt
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom
  • Walt Disney: An American Original
  • How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance
  • Poster Art of the Disney Parks
  • Walt Disney World Hidden History: Remnants of Former Attractions and Other Tributes
  • The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
  • Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World
The Imagineering Way Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at Walt Disney World, The The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney California Adventure at Disneyland Resort: An Imagineer's-Eye Tour: Facts, Figures, Photos, Stories, Concept ... New Cars Land! (An Imagineering Field Guide) The Imagineering Field Guide to Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World