Start by marking “The Destiny of the Dead (The Song of the Tears, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Destiny of the Dead (The Song of the Tears, #3)

The Destiny of the Dead (The Song of the Tears #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  470 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
NISH, HIS BATTERED LITTLE TROOP and his few remaining allies are trapped on the Range of Ruin by the God-Emperor's mighty army. Nish's only choices are a humiliating surrender to his father or a suicidal fight to the death.

Yet Nish has to fight, and somehow he has to win, for the beautiful world of Santhenar is in peril and no one else can save it. Stilkeen, an all-powerfu
Paperback, First UK edition, 702 pages
Published December 4th 2008 by Orbit (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Destiny of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Destiny of the Dead

Skyemberr
Jun 25, 2012 Skyemberr rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, but it is definitely NOT the last book of the santhenar series. I could see another trilogy being possible based just off of the ending of this book.

There are a couple of places where the story bogs down with battle scenes that are a bit too long, but that's my only complaint. The character interactions were well written and engaging, and a lot of questions are finally answered!
Maya
Aug 16, 2010 Maya rated it liked it
The epic finale to the Song of Tears trilogy is definitely the best book of the series yet. The battles are hair-raising and dramatic, and a hunger for a conclusion is aroused in the reader. The particular charm of this series, I think, is the much more satisfying conclusion given by this series than its predecessor. You can put this book down contented and reminiscent!
Matt
Jul 09, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing
Ian Irvine would have to be one of the best fantasy authors i have read. His worlds and characters that he brings to life have awesome depth and scope. Look forward to his forthcoming books.
Simone Fisher
Apr 23, 2012 Simone Fisher rated it it was amazing
I've read this whole series and Ian Irvine has always managed to enthral me, I can't wait till he begins writing the last book for this series in 2013.
Martin
Mar 22, 2009 Martin rated it it was amazing
A great ending to the series, epic battles, love and war. Lots of loose ends tidied are finally dawn together, I am glad there is going to be another series.
Cameron
Mar 04, 2009 Cameron rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying ending to the series, that more than makes up for the last couple. An excellent read, very much in the style of the old books.
Mateen Ar
Mar 04, 2015 Mateen Ar rated it liked it
This last volume of the Song of the Tears series was probably my least favourite out of the trilogy. The first and second book had a sense of adventure and travel to them, followed by very real danger (and by this I mean danger that I knew the characters of this book feared and I also could sense this danger and was afraid for the characters) and this all made a rather pleasant read. However, in this third book, the running and hiding is replaced by running and searching and running and fighting ...more
Loren Harway
Apr 02, 2009 Loren Harway rated it liked it
Chrissey Harrison
Jun 02, 2013 Chrissey Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A brilliant conclusion to an epic journey. The complex, interwoven threads of the story, some linking right back into the history of the world, come together in a clever tapestry. One sees Irvine's vision as some of the seeds planed in the early books sprout.

Irvine is a master of the trilogy format; Each trilogy in the Three Worlds series has its own strong, rich identity, and each book within each trilogy has a slightly different feel to it. Although you are reading a continuing story, you feel
Emily
Feb 05, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
The sequel to this trilogy was certainly action packed. It had been a while since I'd read the first two books in the series when I finally got around to picking up the third, so some of the overall story details were a little fuzzy, but Irvine did a good job in revisiting aspects from the earlier books, so I always knew what was happening. Nish, Maelys and the gang engage in the battle of a lifetime, making a final stand against the God-Emperor and the seemingly immortal being Stillkeen, and I ...more
Sue
Jun 24, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this book and the whole 11 book series!If you dont pick up this fantasy series by Aussie author Ian Irvine you are completely bonkers. The series starts with 4 books, then another 4 and the final 3(with one more in the pipeline).
I always say if upon waking your first thought is of the book you are currently reading then its a winner.
His character development was well done and the plot was unbelievable in its complexity. I dont know how he can remember all the twists and turns!
I f
Chrys Matthews
Jan 13, 2016 Chrys Matthews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

A fitting finale to an epic tale. The three worlds books make exceptional reading. Mr Irvine is up there with Terry Goodkind and Arthur c Clarke.
Iben
This was a great book, a very impressing ending to an amazing series. It is well written, has interresting charecters and a suspenseful plot.
I was a however a little confused by about 30 pages near the end, that didn't seem to have anything to do with the story.
And I do believe that reading this series would be more satisfying if one had read the earlier Three Worlds series by Ian Irvine.
Alex Boon
Mar 31, 2015 Alex Boon rated it really liked it
It resolved! At last! This volume gave the closure I was hoping for at the end of the previous four and actually it did it well. I was satisfied. The narrative suffered from the things I've whined about enough in earlier reviews of this series but on the whole this was one of my favourites. Thank you, Mr Irvine for not ending on another cliffhanger!
Robin
Feb 14, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
an improvement on the first two books, but some weird conclusions.
Derrick
Feb 14, 2009 Derrick rated it really liked it
A well developed series of books about the world of Santhenar and the different beings who interact with it. This book ties this trilogy up rather well while opening the way for the next trilogy.

The books can be somewhat difficult to find. I had to order most of them from the UK.
Anne
Mar 18, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Thought this last book in the series was really good pulling all the threads of the different charactors story together to a very satisfactory ending. Found out at the end of the book that there to be more about the three worlds and look forward to reading them
Feb 19, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2009
I Was completely obsessed with this book, read it within two days and can't wait for the new series about Llian to come out!
Heather Haubold
Library doesn't have it yet, if anyone cares to lend it to me I would be all smiles.
Tony
Apr 21, 2010 Tony rated it it was amazing
Finally, picked up the pace and there was much excitement. Top form for Irvine.
Shelley
Nov 08, 2009 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But wait...there's more!A huge series and it's not over yet!
Melissa
May 24, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, what more can i say!
Tanya
Aug 08, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
Much better second time around.
Belinda
Jul 08, 2012 Belinda rated it liked it
Great read
Matt Sawyer
Matt Sawyer marked it as to-read
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Ryan Werth
Ryan Werth marked it as to-read
Bruce
Bruce added it
Feb 04, 2016
Nav
Nav marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Kelly Love
Kelly Love rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
  • The Gates of Dawn (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone #2)
  • Darksong (The Legendsong, #2)
  • Fire Angels (The Chronicles of Dion #2)
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
  • The Infinity Gate (Darkglass Mountain, #3)
  • The Hounds of Avalon (Dark Age, #3)
  • The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story Unauthorized
  • Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)
  • Song of the Shiver Barrens (Mirage Makers, #3)
  • White Star (Epic of Palins, #2)
  • Terry Pratchett: The Spirit of Fantasy
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
I'm an Australian author of 31 novels, mainly fantasy. They include the bestselling Three Worlds epic fantasy sequence, which has sold over a million print copies and has been published in 11 countries. It comprises The View from the Mirror quartet, The Well of Echoes quartet and The Song of the Tears trilogy. I’m currently writing the long-awaited sequel to The View from the Mirror, which will be ...more
More about Ian Irvine...

The Song of the Tears (3 books)
  • The Fate of the Fallen (The Song of the Tears, #1)
  • The Curse on the Chosen (The Song of the Tears, #2)