The Destiny of the Dead (The Song of the Tears, #3)

The Destiny of the Dead (The Song of the Tears #3)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  19 reviews
NISH, HIS BATTERED LITTLE TROOP and his few remaining allies are trapped on the Range of Ruin by the God-Emperor's mighty army. Nish's only choices are a humiliating surrender to his father or a suicidal fight to the death.

Yet Nish has to fight, and somehow he has to win, for the beautiful world of Santhenar is in peril and no one else can save it. Stilkeen, an all-powerfu...more
Paperback, First UK edition, 702 pages
Published December 4th 2008 by Orbit (first published 2008)

Skyemberr
I really enjoyed this book, but it is definitely NOT the last book of the santhenar series. I could see another trilogy being possible based just off of the ending of this book.

There are a couple of places where the story bogs down with battle scenes that are a bit too long, but that's my only complaint. The character interactions were well written and engaging, and a lot of questions are finally answered!
Maya
The epic finale to the Song of Tears trilogy is definitely the best book of the series yet. The battles are hair-raising and dramatic, and a hunger for a conclusion is aroused in the reader. The particular charm of this series, I think, is the much more satisfying conclusion given by this series than its predecessor. You can put this book down contented and reminiscent!
Matt
Ian Irvine would have to be one of the best fantasy authors i have read. His worlds and characters that he brings to life have awesome depth and scope. Look forward to his forthcoming books.
Simone Fisher
I've read this whole series and Ian Irvine has always managed to enthral me, I can't wait till he begins writing the last book for this series in 2013.
Martin
A great ending to the series, epic battles, love and war. Lots of loose ends tidied are finally dawn together, I am glad there is going to be another series.
Cameron
A very satisfying ending to the series, that more than makes up for the last couple. An excellent read, very much in the style of the old books.
Loren Harway
Chrissey Harrison
A brilliant conclusion to an epic journey. The complex, interwoven threads of the story, some linking right back into the history of the world, come together in a clever tapestry. One sees Irvine's vision as some of the seeds planed in the early books sprout.

Irvine is a master of the trilogy format; Each trilogy in the Three Worlds series has its own strong, rich identity, and each book within each trilogy has a slightly different feel to it. Although you are reading a continuing story, you feel...more
Sue
I totally loved this book and the whole 11 book series!If you dont pick up this fantasy series by Aussie author Ian Irvine you are completely bonkers. The series starts with 4 books, then another 4 and the final 3(with one more in the pipeline).
I always say if upon waking your first thought is of the book you are currently reading then its a winner.
His character development was well done and the plot was unbelievable in its complexity. I dont know how he can remember all the twists and turns!
I f...more
Iben
This was a great book, a very impressing ending to an amazing series. It is well written, has interresting charecters and a suspenseful plot.
I was a however a little confused by about 30 pages near the end, that didn't seem to have anything to do with the story.
And I do believe that reading this series would be more satisfying if one had read the earlier Three Worlds series by Ian Irvine.
Robin
an improvement on the first two books, but some weird conclusions.
Derrick
A well developed series of books about the world of Santhenar and the different beings who interact with it. This book ties this trilogy up rather well while opening the way for the next trilogy.

The books can be somewhat difficult to find. I had to order most of them from the UK.
Anne
Thought this last book in the series was really good pulling all the threads of the different charactors story together to a very satisfactory ending. Found out at the end of the book that there to be more about the three worlds and look forward to reading them
I Was completely obsessed with this book, read it within two days and can't wait for the new series about Llian to come out!
Heather Haubold
Library doesn't have it yet, if anyone cares to lend it to me I would be all smiles.
Tony
Finally, picked up the pace and there was much excitement. Top form for Irvine.
Shelley
But wait...there's more!A huge series and it's not over yet!
Melissa
Brilliant, what more can i say!
Tanya
Much better second time around.
Amy
Amy added it
Apr 16, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Jesse_McAstroturf
Jesse_McAstroturf marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
  • The Right Hand of God (Fire of Heaven, #3)
  • The Shadow of Tyr (Mirage Makers, #2)
  • The Gates of Dawn (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone #2)
  • The Infinity Gate (Darkglass Mountain, #3)
  • The Air War (Shadows of the Apt, #8)
  • Goddess (Percheron, #3)
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #3)
  • Darksong (The Legendsong, #2)
  • The Hounds of Avalon (Dark Age, #3)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
Ian has written 29 novels, including the internationally bestselling 11-book Three Worlds fantasy sequence: The View from the Mirror Quartet, The Well of Echoes Quartet and The Song of the Tears Trilogy, http://www.ian-irvine.com/threeworlds....

Australian cover

Australian cover

Ian’s latest book is Justice, Book 3 of a new epic fantasy trilogy The Tainted Realm, published in Australia in September 2013, and coming out in the UK an...more
More about Ian Irvine...
A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1) The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2) Dark is the Moon (The View From the Mirror, #3) Geomancer (The Well of Echoes, #1) The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)